SACD Hybrid

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Herman Safonov

SACD Hybrid

Postby Herman Safonov » Wed Mar 20, 2024 13:39

Hi all!

This is the first time I have had the need to make a SACD Hybrid.
The DSD & DXD PRODUCTION GUIDE says that the SACD layer is measured in dB SACD, and Reference level 0 SACD = -6 dBFS (Full Scale).
I have a master track in DXD format, peak level -0.5 dBTP, LRA 18 LU. If I convert it to 44.1, I get a normal CD track for the SACD Hybrid CD layer.
If I convert it to DSD 64, I get the same file with a peak level of -0.5 dBTP.
But the technical specification says that the max level for DSD 64 layers can be no higher than -2.9 dBFS (Full Scale).
In this regard, the question is: Do I need to make two separate master tracks for the two SACD Hybrid layers, or do I not need to do anything since the -0.5 dBTP in preferens DSD is already measured at 0 SACD level?

I would be very grateful if someone could clarify this issue for me.

mpdonahue

Re: SACD Hybrid

Postby mpdonahue » Sun Mar 24, 2024 18:08

+2.9dB, not -2.9.
All the best,
Mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

Herman Safonov

Re: SACD Hybrid

Postby Herman Safonov » Sun Mar 24, 2024 22:54

Dear Mark!
Thank you very much for your response!
After I looked on your website who you are and what studio you work at, I was even afraid to contact you so easily! For me this is simply fantastic!
You write: “+2.9dB, not -2.9.”

I looked at the specification:

dBSACD Reference level - 0 Max Level +3.1

dBFS (Full Scale) Reference level - 6 Max Level -2.9

In the table I see that Max Level dBFS (Full Scale) = -2.9

Sorry, but I didn't understand a little what you meant by “+2.9dB, not -2.9.”
And in general, the essence of my question is how can I correctly make DSD master from DXD (-0.5 dBTP, LRA 18 LU). Just convert, or make another master (compressor, limiter, etc.)?
Thanks again for your answer!

(Unfortunately, in my country (Ukraine) there is no school where this issue could be studied.)