recovering a file where the plug was pulled?

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Mark Lemaire

recovering a file where the plug was pulled?

Postby Mark Lemaire » Wed Feb 21, 2024 00:05

Hello folks!

I was recording a show and the AC plug got unfortunately pulled during my recording. While the computer running PMX did not go dark (it went to battery), the ASIO device feeding it did. PMX, having lost it's ASIO connection, created a pop-up warning that said something like "Lost the ASIO connection, can't continue..." . I has little choice but to click "OK" and reboot PMX.

There IS a 650mb file on the computer, but it has no header. PMX cannot see it, but windows does. In windows, the "Type" column just says "FILE".

Does anyone here have the knowledge to recover this 4track, 44.1/ 24 PMF file? I suppose it needs a header?

You can email me at marklemairemusic@gmail.com.

Thanks!
Mark Lemaire
RubatoRecording.com
Audiophile recording of your music. Anywhere. Anytime.

fl

Re: recovering a file where the plug was pulled?

Postby fl » Sat Feb 24, 2024 20:38

I'll reply here rather than by email so that others who may be in need in the future can benefit.

VERY IMPORTANT: Make and work on a copy of the affected file, just in case.

You need to get a copy of the Pyramix Media Recovery Tool. The latest version I have is 3.0, but there may very well be more recent versions. Contact Merging Support directly to obtain a copy of the version suitable for the version of Pyramix that was used to make the recording.

When you have it, unzip the archive and place the MediaRecoverer.exe file in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merging Technologies\MediaHandlers
and run it from there.

You will need to enter some information about the file you wish to recover:

- Select the proper media Tab, according to your media file (PMF, SDII or Wave)
- Enter the Sampling Rate (96000, 48000, 44100, ...) of the file to recover
- Enter the Byte Rate (for 16 bit, enter 2; 24 bits -> 3; 32 bits -> 4)
- Enter the Number of Tracks
- Check the Waveform box if it has been recorded with Waveform WHILE recording (most probably).

Look in the Pyramix Settings>Application>Playback/Record.

Check whether the record Block size was set to 64KB (Default). The Recoverer Block Size and Peak Size values must be set accordingly for the sampling rates below:
44.1kHz - 48kHz (1FS): Block Size = 65536 Peak Size = 65536
88.2kHz - 96kHz (2FS): Block Size = 131072 Peak Size = 131072
176kHz - 192kHz (4FS): Block Size = 262144 Peak Size = 262144

If the Record Block size was set to 96 KB in the Pyramix Settings the Recoverer Block Size and Peak Size values must be set accordingly for the sampling rates below:
44.1kHz - 48kHz (1FS): Block Size = 98304 Peak Size = 98304
88.2kHz - 96kHz (2FS): Block Size = 196608 Peak Size = 196608
176kHz - 192kHz (4FS): Block Size = 393192 Peak Size = 393192

If the Record Block size was set to 128 KB in the Pyramix Settings the Recoverer Block Size and Peak Size values must be set accordingly for the sampling rates below:
44.1kHz - 48kHz (1FS): Block Size = 131072 Peak Size = 131072
88.2kHz - 96kHz (2FS): Block Size = 262144 Peak Size = 262144
176kHz - 192kHz (4FS): Block Size = 524288 Peak Size = 524288

Leave Peak Block setting unchanged.

Click "Recover File" and tell it to work on the copy of the file that you made earlier.

Choose a name and location for the recovery file that will be created, and proceed. Be sure to place it on an NTFS formatted drive so as to not encounter the 4GB size limitation.

This operation will create a new file containing the proper number of tracks, proper sample rate, etc. provided you entered the proper instructions earlier. The new file may contain some random data at the end (white noise at 0 dB, so be cautious when playing back).

Be patient! Some files can take a while to recover (process). You can monitor the file growing by looking at it in a Windows Explorer, and hitting refresh (F5). Some common issues include:
-Audio wrong speed - pitched : wrong sampling rate
-Mixed blocks of audio spread among the tracks : wrong number of tracks
-White noise on audio : wrong byte rate
-White noise on audio (heavily distorted - Pyramix meters overload) : wrong byte rate
-White noise on audio, interrupted with noise regularly : wrong Block Size/Peak Size

I have made use of this tool on a few occasions, and provided I entered the proper file characteristics and didn't make any typing errors, it's worked flawlessly. That said, I've rarely managed it the first try, because - I don't know - I've been a little stressed for some reason...
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Mark Lemaire

Re: recovering a file where the plug was pulled?

Postby Mark Lemaire » Sun Feb 25, 2024 02:49

Wow Frank, and thank you.

I will get in touch with Merging- my PMX version is not a new one:

Vers 11.1.6 Build 284 25 06 2019

I am looking forward to implementing your directions!
Mark Lemaire

RubatoRecording.com

Audiophile recording of your music. Anywhere. Anytime.