Pyramix competency test?

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
charlienyc

Pyramix competency test?

Postby charlienyc » Wed Jan 22, 2020 17:06

Hi,
I'm continually looking for interns familiar with Pyramix, since the learning curve is so steep. Taking four weeks out of a six week internship to teach an intern the software isn't the best use of anyone's time. Does anyone have a basic competency test?
Cheers,
-Charlie
MassCore v14.0.5 Win10/64 i9-10900 & i9-11900K, Avid S3
3x Horus = 80 In/24 Out @PCM
Native V14 Win10/64 i7-12700K miniDSP UDIO-8, Avid S1 & nob controller
Native V14 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi

fl

Re: Pyramix competency test?

Postby fl » Thu Jan 23, 2020 16:08

I would think that setting up a Source-Destination editing project from scratch, and then performing one or more edits would test anyone's mettle.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

DJS

Postby DJS » Tue Feb 04, 2020 23:10

I find SD project setup and editing easy now thanks to you Frank. I find automation, setting up a complex mixer with many busses and monitoring the most challenging now.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 17:33

fl wrote:I would think that setting up a Source-Destination editing project from scratch, and then performing one or more edits would test anyone's mettle.

Good idea. Thanks!

DJS

Postby DJS » Sat Mar 07, 2020 00:45

charlienyc wrote:I'm continually looking for interns familiar with Pyramix, since the learning curve is so steep.

One wonders how they will obtain familiarity if not during an internship?
David Spearritt

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sat Mar 28, 2020 03:11

In addition to FL's S/D project recommendation, I'd have someone demonstrate that they understand the mixer and it's separation from the timeline (e.g. mixer strips are not just re-drawn EDL tracks, mixers can be shared, etc.)

For some workflows: Do they know about the ASIO Bridge? I use it daily and I need any assistant here to know how to use and troubleshoot it.

They don't have to know it right away, either: Their willingness to learn (and not whine about how it doesn't work like 'X') is perhaps much more important in the grand scheme of things.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

DJS

Postby DJS » Sun Apr 05, 2020 00:15

Graemme wrote:... I'd have someone demonstrate that they understand the mixer and it's separation from the timeline (e.g. mixer strips are not just re-drawn EDL tracks, mixers can be shared, etc.)

I was confused by this when I first used Pyramix, because I started only opening multichannel WAV files from my Nagra recorder. How each ISO track mapped to timeline lanes and mixer strips confused me, ie. no hardware inputs. I always thought it would be good if each track/channel of a multichannel WAV could be treated like a hardware input.
David Spearritt

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Apr 09, 2020 23:44

Once learned, I've appreciated the flexibility of the mixer - and the learning curve is a small price to pay ;->

I am still completely unimpressed and annoyed at the poor VST implementation in Pyramix - basically I've given up on it and have integrated WaveLab or Reaper in to my workflow when I'm using a lot of plug-ins. Hence, my comment about ASIO-Bridge; it's an elegant 'workaround' for the lame VST implementation, allowing the use of multiple ASIO clients with Pyramix' mixer at the hub - an utterly brilliant feature.

DJS wrote:
Graemme wrote:... I'd have someone demonstrate that they understand the mixer and it's separation from the timeline (e.g. mixer strips are not just re-drawn EDL tracks, mixers can be shared, etc.)

I was confused by this when I first used Pyramix, because I started only opening multichannel WAV files from my Nagra recorder. How each ISO track mapped to timeline lanes and mixer strips confused me, ie. no hardware inputs. I always thought it would be good if each track/channel of a multichannel WAV could be treated like a hardware input.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Tue May 26, 2020 17:51

I haven't used the ASIO bridge successfully but did try to get it working with RX via RX Connect. After too much time spent I gave up and setup RX to play out via USB and manually switch inputs on my monitoring controller. It's only cumbersome when there are many fixes to be made. Anyway I'd fail the ASIO Bridge test :)

Thanks for the edit - mixer link suggestion in any case.

DJS wrote:One wonders how they will obtain familiarity if not during an internship?

There's a difference between basic competency and familiarity. My issue is this: Spending an entire internship teaching/learning a piece of software the intern may or may not ever use again is probably not a productive use of anyone's time. If it were in widespread use this could be a different story. However at least in the States there is not a large user base; most engineers haven't even heard of Pyramix outside classical / orchestral music circles. I hope this is different elsewhere in the world.