AES31 vs OMF

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Steve

AES31 vs OMF

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 14, 2008 21:11

Hi folks,

We are exploring ways to convert and import projects done on other DAWs into Pyramix. We own SSL Pro-Convert edl conversion software and are thinking that we can use that to convert outside projects (ProTools, Wavelab, Samplitude, etc) to either AES31 or OMF (we own neither option for Pyramix yet) and then import the converted project into Pyramix. We will also need to occasionally import projects from Final Cut Pro into Pyramix. The vast majority of the time we will only need to convert and import 1 or 2 track audiobook projects with lots of edits.

The goal here is to buy only one import option for Pyramix. I'm leaning toward OMF for the integration it has with Final Cut Pro. Any thoughts? Input appreciated!

Thanks,
-Steve

Adrian

Re: AES31 vs OMF

Postby Adrian » Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:58

Hi there

If I was you I would go for OMF. It works, people have stopped tweeking it so for the last couple of years it has been working ok. We sometimes use AV Transfer to clean up omfs that have come from outside facilities but inhouse with Avids and Final Cuts omfs work.

Adrian

Mario

Re: AES31 vs OMF

Postby Mario » Thu Oct 16, 2008 14:22

Hello Steve,

As steve says, there is no recent work on OMF, so it can work right now, but sometime ago it was a nightmare. I really like better AAF, but even though, my suggestion is to ask your dealer for a some temporal keys for your system, in that way you can evaluate in your environment and judge by yourself.

there is also the option for XML integration for FC, so take OMF, AAF , AES31 and XML to evaluate, they will give you a month fr that!

regards