AVI - DV 25 Question

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
audioadvantage

AVI - DV 25 Question

Postby audioadvantage » Tue Mar 20, 2007 14:46

I’d really like to be able play an AVI file, generated in an Avid, out of my DS player via firwire.

I notice in the DS player manual:
Note: Video output via the Firewire port only supports DV25 format files.

I’ve found a Pinnacle DV25 Codec 1.5.0.9….would anyone know if that will do the job??

If not what should I supply the Avid editor to get the AVI to play out via firewire.

Thanks in advance.

John

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Tue Mar 20, 2007 15:18

Hi John, I don´t know if the Pinnacle works, but beware of possible latency when outputing the video through firewire. I only do the opposite, I record into Pyramix via a DV recorder composite in and digitise by firewire out into Pyramix. This by itself creates a 2 frame latency, then I have to offset DS to be in sync with timeline. For monitoring I use the composite out of my Parhelia APVE. I read somewhere in the manual than outputing video via firewire introduce longer delays, just be careful. Regards,

Paulo

audioadvantage

Postby audioadvantage » Tue Mar 20, 2007 16:19

Thanks Paulo,

Yes I’m aware of the latency, around 22 frames from memory. In the past I have “captured” vision into DS player which plays out firewire and works very well.

I now have some interest from clients who want to supply an AVI….BUT they want to place the vision on 2 external screens, 1 for a producer to view & the other for voice over talent, hence the firewire option to loop through 2 x lcd/tv monitors via your every day AV inputs.

I’m not yet up for purchasing a V Cube so what are my options….

A 3 screen video card??....Is there a recommended card from PMX??
How do others get vision out to multiple screen??

Thanks again in advance.

John

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Tue Mar 20, 2007 18:23

Hi John,
my set up consists of 2 19" flat pannels for Pyramix, one 32" lcd on the wall for clients and myself and a smaller 17" lcd on the voiceoverbooth, all running simultaneously from the same graphics card, the Matrox Parhelia APVe

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/crepr ... a/apve.php

Because this card can output 2 dvi/vga screens and composite video/svhs simultaneously, I output the composite video out of the card to a small 1 in into 3 out video distribution amp and from there I feed the main lcd screen, the small lcd on the VO booth and I still can feed a small CRT monitor for lip sync checking, as you know lcd and plasma displays have a latency on the video side. And of course I have my two displays in extended mode for Pyramix(in split mode).
Because the DS has video overlay feature I can have full screen display of what´s running on DS(or even Win media player if needed). I´m very happy with this set up and never had a problem(apart from the lcd latency mentioned, but that´s everybody´s problem I´m affraid)
Hope that helps. Regards,

Paulo M

audioadvantage

Postby audioadvantage » Wed Mar 21, 2007 09:56

Thanks again Paulo,

I'm currently running 2 x CRT monitors lopped together with the vision source sent via a Canopus ADVC110.

The Parhelia APVe sounds like a good set up but does that mean if a client supplied you with an AVI (non DV25 format) the vision would still play out the composite video out??

If yes then I want a Parhelia APVe!!

If no then I'm back to firewire and trying to find out if the AVI file using the Pinnacle DV25 codec will do the trick :cry:

doctor

Postby doctor » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:33

Yes,

you can play AVI files with divx, mjpeg, mpeg... codecs, thru the APVe vidéo out.

Jerome

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Wed Mar 21, 2007 14:26

Hi John,
is like Jerome said, you can play whatever format you want out of the Parhelia composite out, providing you have the necessary codecs installed on the PC and suported by DS video player. I work not only with avi digitised through Pyramix but also with files that were generated on another machines, except quick time, because I didn´t buy that option for DS yet. Basically it all ends up on the available codecs installed on your machine for it to be able to play those files, nothing to do with the card itself. I´ve been using it for two years now with very good results, like I said with a small video distribution amp from Extron(could be any other) that costs around 100 dollars and I can feed 3 tv monitors(ldc, plasma, crt, whatever) and still have my 2 other displays for Pyramix(and even on one of them you can display DS video full screen if you double click it, as you know). Regards,

Paulo

audioadvantage

Postby audioadvantage » Wed Mar 21, 2007 14:54

That’s great news Jerome/Paulo,

It looks like the Parhelia is the way to go.

Many thanks guys :D
John Bosak
Audio Advantage
Brisbane Australia

Jacobsen

Postby Jacobsen » Thu Mar 22, 2007 23:57

having the same problem - playing out Videofiles via cannopus/firewire

found out that AVI files - ( investigated by GSpot utility )

codec dvsd
OpenDML(AVI v2.0)

is running OK

format originating from Windows Moviemaker ( save film as DV-AVI(PAL))
and Pinnacle software

I would love a precise answer from Merging ( if possible )

www.gspot.headbands.com

Jacobsen

Postby Jacobsen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 00:01

audioadvantage

Postby audioadvantage » Tue Mar 27, 2007 04:20

After some investigation I’ve been told that I can’t run the Parhelia APVe as my system runs on the older AGP interface :(

Not all bad news though as it looks like the Parhelia 256 MB will do the same just with out HD.
John Bosak

Audio Advantage

Brisbane Australia

doctor

Postby doctor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:11

you can go with the matrox P750.

Jerome

audioadvantage

Postby audioadvantage » Wed Mar 28, 2007 05:06

Thanks Jerome, I notice it only has 64MB of DDR graphics memory, which I’m thinking might not be enough as some of my vision files are up to 2 hours long.

I’m not exactly sure how much gets buffed into RAM on playback but I’m concerned about a jittery playback.

Any more info much appreciated.

Cheers
John Bosak

Audio Advantage

Brisbane Australia

AkaiDD

Postby AkaiDD » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:01

Hi,

As I know, the graphics video memory not used in video playback process, so it doesn't matter how much memory you get on-board on your videocard
Regards, Max Romasevitch
MELNITSA Animation Studio