Unintelligent Take-Name Behavior

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
sonicjones

Unintelligent Take-Name Behavior

Postby sonicjones » Tue Sep 06, 2005 19:26

Greetings,

Please correct this silly behavior.

We use catalogue numbers as our project names. Pyramix invariably grabs the trailing digit in the project name, assumes it's a take number and increments it. This is unacceptible. We cannot have _software_ making production decisions.
-Bruce

Silas

Postby Silas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 05:07

Hi Bruce,

My system is off at the moment but I am sure that you can turn the increment feature off in the Project Info and Settings page (ctrl-F) under the Recording Tab. It is a vital option for the way that we work - optional being the key point.

Best,
Silas

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Wed Sep 07, 2005 14:32

Yes, Silas, you can turn it off thanks, but it's not that I don't want take numbers. I just would like them appended to the name I enter in the Take Name field of the Record settings. Hence the title of the post.

Best regards,
-Bruce

Silas

Postby Silas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 15:30

Hi Bruce,

I see. So if you were to first enter into Record Settings as the initial take name "{catalog number} TK 001" with auto-increment selected PMX would name the first take 001 and then increment the following ones. Does this get you what you need?

Best,
Silas

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Wed Sep 07, 2005 15:44

Well, yes, I suppose it would, but then I'd have to remember to do that. Sonic HD has both a soundfile name field and a take number field so that you can specify both and forget about it with no confusion. I guess I'm just lazy.
-Bruce

Silas

Postby Silas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 15:56

Hi Bruce,

Interesting. So on Sonic you could have more than one take number in one soundfile or it doesn't work that way?

Best,
Silas

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Wed Sep 07, 2005 16:15

No. You would only have one take number per take, but you may have many takes per soundfile name. The differentiator is the take number. You specify a name in one field, a starting take number in another field and then it increments that take starting number, leaving your soundfile name untouched. Does that make sense?

Best regards,
-Bruce

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Thu Oct 20, 2005 22:59

sonicjones wrote:No. You would only have one take number per take, but you may have many takes per soundfile name. The differentiator is the take number. You specify a name in one field, a starting take number in another field and then it increments that take starting number, leaving your soundfile name untouched. Does that make sense?

Best regards,

Hi Bruce, I just came across this today and it and may be a little late, but here is how I do it. (Being an old Sonic guy myself, even the HD dialog is screwed up when compared with the old record soundfile dialog)
But we do it by putting the name with an underscore after it. Pyramix will add "001" after and increment the take there after. If you want to make an adjustment to the sequence, just rename it in the record confirm dialog after the recording and it will keep incrementing from there.
All the best,
mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Fri Oct 21, 2005 14:57

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've taken to turning-off the increment feature and just being careful naming my takes. I'm thinking of turning-off the unique identifier feature as well. Trying to streamline my workflow and give my eyes a break.

Best,
-Bruce