Confidence monitoring

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
tibor

Confidence monitoring

Postby tibor » Tue Apr 12, 2005 23:09

A lot of other DAW manufacturers are able to show the waveform being drawn while in record mode. Its very useful. Love to have it.

Thanks, Ty

Graemme

Re: Confidence monitoring

Postby Graemme » Wed Apr 13, 2005 00:22

don't hold your breath...

tibor wrote:A lot of other DAW manufacturers are able to show the waveform being drawn while in record mode. Its very useful. Love to have it.

Thanks, Ty
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Pyromanic

sigh

Postby Pyromanic » Fri Apr 15, 2005 19:08

:roll: awaiting it a looooong time...
best regards

Pyromanic

benoit

Postby benoit » Fri Apr 15, 2005 19:13

"Its very useful..."

objectively - for what? ;-)

cheers,
benoit
hochschule der künste bern
musik & medienkunst / studioleitung
www.hkb.bfh.ch

john egan

Re: Confidence monitoring

Postby john egan » Wed Jun 01, 2005 13:00

[quote="tibor"]A lot of other DAW manufacturers are able to show the waveform being drawn while in record mode. Its very useful. Love to have it.

Thanks, Ty[/quote]

Drawing a waveform while recording is a potential source of clicks and glitches. U can't edit it while its recording so its just a gimmick
If Pyramix develop it in the future I'll be turning it off!

If U want confidence run another recorder in parallel

John Egan
Royal Northern College of Music
Manchester

Geo

Postby Geo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 15:58

In thinking about this I realized that you really don't need the waveform.

If you have the little peak meter open on the track and it is showing input, and you are laying down red, that's all the confidence you need.

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Tue Jul 05, 2005 16:34

Perhaps we don't need the waveform for confidence monitoring, but for placing marks during record it is invaluable. What's really useless is an ever-expanding red bar which tells one only the imprecise position of the "record head". I'm not asking for the ability to edit the waveform; only the ability to make comment marks with relative precision in relation to the waveform.

Thanks,
-Bruce

Roland Clarke

Postby Roland Clarke » Tue Jul 05, 2005 21:44

sonicjones wrote:Perhaps we don't need the waveform for confidence monitoring, but for placing marks during record it is invaluable. What's really useless is an ever-expanding red bar which tells one only the imprecise position of the "record head". I'm not asking for the ability to edit the waveform; only the ability to make comment marks with relative precision in relation to the waveform.

Thanks,

But then you can add marks by listening? Most average platforms head for gimmicks to try and steal a march on their competition, rather have solid useability and functions that the others don't have. Been working on my Pyramix system solidly for the last 10 days and keep on remining myself why I'm so glad I bought it.

Regards to all

Roland :D

avi

Postby avi » Wed Jul 06, 2005 09:45

If PMX was computing & displaying the waveform as it recorded, might this then mean that I could make cuts in the recorded material as it was going in, and then, while the take is still recording, move some early parts of the take around and start work with them?

I would find this useful.

AVI

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Wed Jul 06, 2005 14:57

To answer Roland, yes, you could add marks by simply listening, but when there are lots of cues and a script to follow, the waveform display makes that chore much easier. Of course it would be much easier either way if the Num9 keyboard shortcut for placing marks worked. For some reason this doesn't work on the Pyramix here. Have to investigate further or create another shortcut.

To Alexander, the answer is yes, as long as you don't also need to listen to the material being recorded. In thte last 10 years of DAW editing, I can count the number of times on one hand that editing while recording was of much use to me. Faster editing is not neccessarily better editing.

Best regards,
-Bruce

Old Sadie

Postby Old Sadie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 16:54

On Voice Recording sessions, the ability to edit the current recording (split, cut, copy, delete, move) is extremely valuable. SADiE have done this since V2 and it means that the majority of the edit can be completed by the time you drop out of record.

Jon Blamire

The Digital Audio Co
www.the-digital-audio.co.uk

avi

Postby avi » Sun Jul 24, 2005 19:07

Bruce, agreed, faster is not necessarily better. However, I previously used a Sadie, and as Jon notes, one can split, cut, copy, move etc etc. the current audio while it is being recorded.

A lot of the work I do is classical editing, where I am playing the relevant parts of takes into PMX from a DAT machine (so in realtime). I may want several parts of one take, then several of another to intersperse within the first. On a SADiE, I can chop the current take while recording it into the editor, place the bits appropriately, then on the second take, do the same - so when I hit "stop", I'm ready to launch straight in to the trim editor, and not mess about re-finding the cut points that I have just listened to. For his type of work, PMX wastes my time, somethng about which I am not overjoyed.

AVI

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Tue Jul 26, 2005 15:50

That makes perfect sense to me, Alexander, especially since you are incorporating previously-recorded material. No argument there. Our work environments are all very different. I'm for making it easy to work the way that suits each individual best. That's what was so great about Sonic Classic. There were always several ways to get the job done. To an extent, that's still true with Sonic HD and Pyramix. Hopefully more-so over time. I'm eager to see version 5 when we get it here. Maybe I'll find a way to use editing while recording, but in the meantime, I'm happy just to see where I've been and make notes.

Best,
-Bruce

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Tue Jul 26, 2005 15:51

That makes perfect sense to me, Alexander, especially since you are incorporating previously-recorded material. No argument there. Our work environments are all very different. I'm for making it easy to work the way that suits each individual best. That's what was so great about Sonic Classic. There were always several ways to get the job done. To an extent, that's still true with Sonic HD and Pyramix. Hopefully more-so over time. I'm eager to see version 5 when we get it here. Maybe I'll find a way to use editing while recording, but in the meantime, I'm happy just to see where I've been and make notes.

Best,
-Bruce