Horus interface

Forum to discuss your Pyramix systems, motherboards, RAID arrays, graphic cards, laptops, etc..
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
DJS

Re: Horus interface

Postby DJS » Sat Oct 01, 2011 01:09

Are there Nagra designed mic preamps and ADDA in the Horus?
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Sat Oct 01, 2011 09:33

DJS wrote:Are there Nagra designed mic preamps and ADDA in the Horus?

Probably not. Sphynx2 AD/DA converters are DAD units with a Merging faceplate.
http://www.digitalaudio.dk/page1213.aspx
Horus looks like it comes from the same lineage, but only Merging would know atm.

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:06

Bernhard, I am pretty sure the old DAD team were not involved in this project, although some of the approach seems similar.
I was under the impression that some of mergings own people may have been involved in the design.

It is odd that there is so little information available on a product that was officially mentioned in the pressrelease from IBC2010 over a year ago.

If merging would chime in here to answer a few questions, it would be very helpful.

Can the fan be disabled if there is ample air circulation in the rack?

Would they consider making a muffler system for the fan?

What is the pricepoint of this unit in its various incarnations?

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:12

Horus was designed 'in-house'...
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Claude Cellier
Site Admin

Postby Claude Cellier » Wed Oct 05, 2011 16:55

Horus and the fan issue for the fanatics of fanless operation.

There will be a fan, capable of turning itself gradually on whenever the internally sensed temperature will exceed preset limits. We do not want our customers to have their Horus audio characteristics degrade or even fail above certain temperature !

Fortunately, Merging has spent enormous time carefully engineering each and every component of Horus to be drawing as little power as technologically possible these days, while not compromising the sound at any time.
We therefore expect our users to enjoy their Horus as an essentially "fanless" device since the fan will in many (if not most circumstances) never switch on. So the fact that we still planned a fan is to be more seen as an "emergency" fan that:
a) will only turn on when absolutely required (for instance in situations of high ambient temperature, with many phantom-powered connected microphones drawing a lot of aggregate power)
b) even when turned on, we are engineering it in such a way that the fan will be essentially inaudible.

Designing a 2 U unit which offers, in such a compact space, up to 4 MADI ports, 24 channels of AES I/O and 24 channels of MIC preamplifiers along with ultra high-quality A/D and up to 24 channel of D/A conversion, not even mentioning Ravenna, a backlit TFT touchscreen and an optionnal Redundant Power supply with no decent "heat-control" would just have been ludicrous. As a matter of fact, we expect a fully loaded Horus to still not consume more than 50 to max. 60 Watt total.

Those of you who might have a chance to visit the AES NY are welcome to join us for a small experiment that we'll be happy to conduct in a quiet space outside the show floor. I'll force the fan to operate and you'll tell us what you think: alright?

Jose Raposo

Postby Jose Raposo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 17:05

Hi Claude thanks for this important info about the fan.
All sucess for Horus, we expect the prices for the different packages.

Best Regards,
José Raposo
Sound Station - Lisboa, Portugal
http://www.soundstation.pt

Core i9-9900KK CPU@ 3.60 GHz
Board ASROCK Z390 Pro4I
Graphics Asus Radeon RX 580 AREZ Dual 8GB OC
Pyr 25th@64
Masscore-Horus-Ravenna
Masscore-Hapi-Ravenna
Tango 2 SmartAv

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 19:48

Great Claude!

I realize we are a picky crowd, but if we cut corners we probably would not be merging customers!
The issue it not only on stage, but also in the control room.
I just spent $350 replacing the PSUs on my two Tangos with two fanless units as I want to keep the noise down in my control room.
My bricastis are ingeniously designed and indespensable tools here, but they add noise as well (although they also claim the fan is inaudible).
On their own you dont hear much, but as I powered up the whole room there was a definate woosh as I have accumulated far to many pieces of outboard gear that all have noiseless fans. At the end of the day the noise accumulates and eventually becomes an issue.

I applaud the idea of the emergency fan. I would of course rather have it kick in than having an in-session failure.
In fact, I would welcome a fan such as you describe in all my gear.
This year alone I have lost 3 separate preamp channels on high end preamps and I do not appreciate the hassle, cost and problems that causes in session.
I look forward to working with the demo model Peter will be getting (sometime this fall?).

How easily serviceable are the preamps on the AD cards if I blow the preamps opamps?

A feature request is protools controllable preamps as well as giving pyramix the ability to control protools pres.
Alternatively, maybe you can make the HTML app that controls horus control protools remote protocol preamps in order to consolidate the number of remotes.
If we get the horus, I would be dealing with three different remotes for my different remote pres and that is not ideal.
Last edited by klaukholm on Wed Oct 05, 2011 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Claude Cellier
Site Admin

Postby Claude Cellier » Wed Oct 05, 2011 21:32

klaukholm wrote:Great Claude!

I realize we are a picky crowd, but if we cut corners we probably would not be merging customers!

We love you for that!

klaukholm wrote:The issue it not only on stage, but also in the control room.
I just spent $350 replacing the PSUs on my two Tangos with two fanless units as I want to keep the noise down in my control room.
My bricastis are ingeniously designed and indespensable tools here, but they add noise as well (although they also claim the fan is inaudible).
On their own you dont hear much, but as I powered up the whole room there was a definate woosh as I have accumulated far to many pieces of outboard gear that all have noiseless fans. At the end of the day the noise accumulates and eventually becomes an issue.

I applaud the idea of the emergency fan. I would of course rather have it kick in than having an in-session failure.
In fact, I would welcome a fan such as you describe in all my gear.
This year alone I have lost 3 separate preamp channels on high end preamps and I do not appreciate the hassle, cost and problems that causes in session.
I look forward to working with the demo model Peter will be getting (sometime this fall?).

How easily serviceable are the preamps on the AD cards if I blow the preamps opamps?

2 screws to loose, remove the defective unit, slide a new unit in. Can't be much easier...

klaukholm wrote:A feature request is protools controllable preamps as well as giving pyramix the ability to control protools pres.
Alternatively, maybe you can make the HTML app that controls horus control protools prer in order to consolidate the number of remotes.
If we get the horus, I would be dealing with three different remotes for my different remote pres and that is not ideal.

Not sure (yet) about Protools but all Horus settings (including routing, Mic Pres, etc...) will entirely be remote controllable from any Web browser via the same Ethernet Ravenna port that audio will be streaming through. Can be an iPad or iphone, Pyramix itself or any Oasis-enabled third-party mixing desk. As a matter of fact Horus's front panel touchscreen itself is based on a Web-browser too!

Jose Raposo

Postby Jose Raposo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 23:07

Claude Cellier wrote:

Not sure (yet) about Protools but all Horus settings (including routing, Mic Pres, etc...) will entirely be remote controllable from any Web browser via the same Ethernet Ravenna port that audio will be streaming through. Can be an iPad or iphone, Pyramix itself or any Oasis-enabled third-party mixing desk. As a matter of fact Horus's front panel touchscreen itself is based on a Web-browser too![/quote]

Hello Claude, some questions:
Is this Web-browser control depends of the java's console of the host or depends of the flash plugins installed? Because in my ISDN Codec Centauri II 3000, from Mayah I have some problems with that...many times I have to refresh to have all pictures or sets present.
If Horus is not present in control room or if it isn't not in the user line of sight, the Web-browser shows all the sets, levels, etc?
Is the Pyramix going to have some special feature to control Horus inside the app?

When we have the documentation available in Merging Website?
And the cost of all configurations possible?

I have some more questions but later is better? I am trying to reconfig my two rooms and I will need some help.

Have a good AES in NY.

Best Regards,
José Raposo

Board ASROCK Z390 Pro4I
Pyr 25th@64
Masscore-Horus-Ravenna
Masscore-Hapi-Ravenna
Tango 2 SmartAv

Claude Cellier
Site Admin

Postby Claude Cellier » Wed Oct 05, 2011 23:43

Hi Jose,

with respect to complete Horus documentation, we are in the process of completing that and it will be published in due time on our Web site. But pelase don't expect that to happen before we managed to settle back from the AES first.
With respect to pricing, please contact your local Merging sales partner who should have all the preliminary information.

Jose Raposo

Postby Jose Raposo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 23:53

Hi Claude,

Ok, we can wait to see all info. About price I am going to contact Auvid to have some details about that. And about the Web- browser the it is gone be a powerfull controll and visualization of all sets? It is only via the Ravenna?
Of course you don't have to reveal all;)

Best Regards,
José Raposo

Board ASROCK Z390 Pro4I
Pyr 25th@64
Masscore-Horus-Ravenna
Masscore-Hapi-Ravenna
Tango 2 SmartAv

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Sat Oct 08, 2011 07:58

Jose Raposo wrote:...About price ...

http://www.scvhitech.fr/tarif11-4.pdf

page 6

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Sat Oct 08, 2011 08:05

Hi,

I'm curious about the realtime performance of Ravenna, have never seen any specs yet.
Streaming performance over one Gigabit Ethernet port, how many channels can it handle reliably?
And additional processing delay...
Also the AD and Mic Preamp specs are of great interest, once the device is finalized. The usual parameters including CMRR!

Cheers
B.

Jose Raposo

Postby Jose Raposo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 20:39

Bernhard Guettler wrote:http://www.scvhitech.fr/tarif11-4.pdf

page 6

Thanks Bernhard,
last week had been on the site ... but the Merging values was to update ... it seems that is the only representative to promote the values ​​online.
Now it´s upadated and we have all the prices in the various options in Horus.
I have to say, it is a bit expensive!!! But what is good normally...

Best Regards,
José Raposo

Board ASROCK Z390 Pro4I
Pyr 25th@64
Masscore-Horus-Ravenna
Masscore-Hapi-Ravenna
Tango 2 SmartAv

Jose Raposo

Postby Jose Raposo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 20:50

Claude Cellier wrote:
Not sure (yet) about Protools but all Horus settings (including routing, Mic Pres, etc...) will entirely be remote controllable from any Web browser via the same Ethernet Ravenna port that audio will be streaming through. Can be an iPad or iphone, Pyramix itself or any Oasis-enabled third-party mixing desk. As a matter of fact Horus's front panel touchscreen itself is based on a Web-browser too!

Hi Claude,
When you said any Oasis -enabled, it means that also Tango1 from SmartAv can do it. Of course we have Pyramix to controll it but if we have in front of us a controller like Tango is also very good.
I think I am going to buy one with 20 faders, let´s see.

Now I have my Mykerinos connected via Madi to my sony DMX R-100, if I have an Horus the connection is done via Ravenna RJ 45...And the Mykerinos, whats is going to happen? Continue to be required for internal processing?

Best Regards,
José Raposo

Board ASROCK Z390 Pro4I
Pyr 25th@64
Masscore-Horus-Ravenna
Masscore-Hapi-Ravenna
Tango 2 SmartAv