Distortion on playback only

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Steve

Distortion on playback only

Postby Steve » Tue May 20, 2008 20:34

Hi,
I am having a problem with distortion on playback. Interestingly, if I mix down a section of music which distorts and insert it into my edl, it will distort as did the original file. But, if I import that file into itunes or onto my my laptop native system (v5.0.22), the file plays fine. Also, if I create an image from the problematic file, the resulting cd plays back fine. I'm very confused. This is happening at multiple sample and bit rates. I did notice that if I lower my channel strip fader or the mix buss by 1.5 or so db the distortion on playback disappears. There is headroom on the files, and it happens with or without plugins. The problem is happening on my Mykerinos AES/EBU system with v5.1, that last version before 6.0.

Any input appreciated!

Regards,
Steve

Silas

Postby Silas » Wed May 21, 2008 21:41

Hi Steve,

Any chance that your monitor panel outputs are routed to the same outputs as your mix bus? If so the mix bus output numbers would be orange instead of white. This would cause them to sum *after* the metering on the mix bus. I've accidentally done this and gotten distortion on peaks in monitoring but not in the files.

-Silas

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue May 27, 2008 07:03

Hi Silas,

I've done that before and it wasn't the case this time but you set me on the right track. I opened the 'monitor' control and deleted the associated 'speaker set', made a new one, and voila, problem gone! Thanks for taking the time to post Silas.

Cheers,
Steve