Need to automate pan

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
sonicjones

Need to automate pan

Postby sonicjones » Fri Jul 15, 2005 22:28

Greetings,

Pardon my ignorance, but I would like to make a stereo strip pan go immediately to 50% Right at a point of my choosing(snapshot?). Then, I would like the pan to snap back to Center at another point further down the timeline and remain there until the end(another snapshot?). Is this possible without losing one's mind? This is v4.3.2.

Thank-you!
-Bruce

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Sat Jul 16, 2005 03:46

Who'd-a-thunk it would require a snapshot range _before_ the snapshot range to set the state of the pan to normal...and then another range after to re-normal the pan? Good grief! Anyway, I got it to work after some confusion.
-Bruce

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sat Jul 16, 2005 08:39

Hi Bruce,

It's best to take a snapshot of the entire desk prior to doing any automation. It may also be possible to make a project template that contains this 'baseline' automation.

The last system I did any heavy snapshot automation with was a Sadie- It behaved exactly the same way.

Best,

Graemme

sonicjones wrote:Who'd-a-thunk it would require a snapshot range _before_ the snapshot range to set the state of the pan to normal...and then another range after to re-normal the pan? Good grief! Anyway, I got it to work after some confusion.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Silas

Postby Silas » Sat Jul 16, 2005 16:13

Hi Bruce,

As you may know already if you right-click on the A in the track header of the track that you are panning and select connected strip then pan (I'm not in front of the system...but it is something close to this) you should see the pan automation line appear over the waveform. I have not had problems in 4.3.x writing in a pan change and then dragging points on the line to make sure that it starts / returns where I want it. It is wise to carefully check that the line stays where you want it for the duration of the project. I also like to have a snapshot to start with before automation things.

Best,
Silas

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Mon Jul 18, 2005 14:53

Thanks, Silas & Graemme, for the frustration-relief:) I wasn't aware that the pan info was also available on a line like the gain. Cool. Need to spend some time today getting my templates in order too. That'll save tons of time.

Best,
-Bruce

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Mon Jul 18, 2005 15:51

Uh, scratch what I just said about saving tons of time by using templates. I don't know if it's Windows or Pyramix...or both, but if one needs to create a simple project, one might as well just bypass templates and use the Wizard, because one will spend all of one's "saved" time getting the template in the correct folder and renaming stuff to suit one's needs.
-Bruce

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Wed Jul 20, 2005 07:50

Bruce,

I use the templates because it *does* save a lot of time. The naming and locations 'stuff' certainly could be improved: Please elaborate on how you'd like to see it work...

Best,

Graemme

sonicjones wrote:Uh, scratch what I just said about saving tons of time by using templates. I don't know if it's Windows or Pyramix...or both, but if one needs to create a simple project, one might as well just bypass templates and use the Wizard, because one will spend all of one's "saved" time getting the template in the correct folder and renaming stuff to suit one's needs.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

sonicjones

Postby sonicjones » Wed Jul 20, 2005 15:21

Sure. For instance, if I go directly to the New project dialog/Mixer Wizard to create a new workspace for a project, part of that process creates a folder that you are asked to name and automatically also creates a folder within that folder for Pyramix Media. All done. I have tried to streamline the process further for repetitive project/workspace creation by creating a template of my own. Unfortunately, when I try to use the template, the directory is not created the way it is in the Wizard method, which means that either I have to create the path myself and then move the project before I start working or I have to move it after I've started -which can be problematic because changeing the location of a project or media file causes the dreaded "some media/disk were not mounted...blah, blah" dialog, and then we get into having to decide what goes where and why. I've found that when there gets to be lots of files involved, it pays dividends not to mount unnecessarily. Since none of the existing templates fit my work methods, I would like for the use of any template to prompt for a file path, a project name, and create the media folder as in the Wizard. I know I can eventually get to this point in the New from template dialog, but creating the new folder in Windows is one more level of complication that I'd like to avoid. If we could just get as freaking far away from _any_ interaction with the OS and its brain-dead design, so much the better...and right now, the New project/Mixer Wizard method adds a little of that glorious space away from Bill and his Machiavellian OS. Does this make sense?
-Bruce