Masscore latency and VST plugins

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
archive

Masscore latency and VST plugins

Postby archive » Fri Apr 09, 2021 16:24

There's precious little info available about the nuts and bolts of of Masscore performance in real world tracking applications, so I'm hoping some users can chime in here with their experiences.

My day job is mastering, where latency doesn't matter. But I've taken on a side project that requires me to use my Pyramix / Hapi system for live tracking of drums / guitars / keys / vocals, with headphone cues.

With my native system at 96k I can get at best 5.3ms latency through Pyramix. This has been passable for instruments, but its not great for vocals.

I understand with Masscore there is a 1.33ms latency option. I've built a Masscore spec computer, if I get a Masscore license and NIC is it really that simple? I can now run reliably with 1.33ms latency?

What then happens if I run a couple zero latency VST plugins while tracking with this 1.33ms latency setting? Still reliable?

What if I use a VST amp sim with another .4ms latency? Is that just added to the total round trip latency like in native, so I'm still under 2ms in total?

Any experience from the trenches would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- J.
J. LaPointe
archivemastering.com
Pyramix Pro 25th Native / HAPI / MAD

pepe44

Re: Masscore latency and VST plugins

Postby pepe44 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 17:34

A friend of mine has the same setup and he uses it for live shows.
I guess if you get the right configurations and dont use plugins that have high PDC you´re OK.