'Out of memory' problem: disappearing project

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Kees de Visser

Postby Kees de Visser » Thu May 22, 2008 12:27

Hi all,

I'm still using V5.1 (native on a MacBook) and recently had this memory problem too. Luckily the backup files were ok.
Can anyone confirm that this problem has disappeared with V6 ?

Thanks.

Kees de Visser
Galaxy Classics

Kees de Visser

Re: 'Out of memory' problem: disappearing project

Postby Kees de Visser » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:46

I've recently upgraded to V.6 and am doing my first editing project with it right now.
It was a trouble free start until yesterday when I wasn't able to save the EDL. Error msg something like "can not save automation data". Strange because there was no automation data AFAIK.
Not sure if this is linked to the same memory problem. The Page File seems to be large (1.5GB) when this happens.
As a workaround (didn't want to redo all the recent edits) I copy/pasted the last part of the EDL into the Library.
A few minutes later Pyramix crashed. Luckily the Library contained the recent part of the EDL, which could easily be pasted into the last saved version.

I don't know much about Page Files. My MacBook's XP partition is rather small, perhaps that's a potential risk? Is it possible to force XP to use an external disk for all Page Files ? Plenty of free space there. Any help much appreciated.

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:57

Hi Kees,

How much RAM in your MacBook? Is the free space on your XP partition less than 10% of the total size of the partition?

You can change the location of the paging file.

System Properties/Advanced/Performance/Advanced/Virtual Memory

The rest:

Turn off the paging file on c:\ and enable it on another drive. Use 'System managed' for method.

Now, whether or not this actually helps your situation, I don't really know. There are much wiser Windoze-types here than I am, so maybe they can chime in...

Best,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Kees de Visser

Postby Kees de Visser » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:03

Thanks for your help, Graemme. I have already found some info on the Internet about Page Files and have allocated some PF space on an external drive.
Free space on the XP partition is about 1GB but that excludes the (hidden) PF. The MacBook has 2 GB RAM (=max).
It seems as if V.6 doesn't corrupt the project file when it fails to save, which would be good news.
I'll keep you posted about the results.