Play / Stop control - PQ markers

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
avi

Play / Stop control - PQ markers

Postby avi » Thu Mar 09, 2006 21:24

I use my space bar as a play / stop control. If I click anywhere on the timeline with my mouse/trackball to place the cursor anywhere, this works fine.

However... when I'm editing PQ markers, and specifically when I want to move them about, I place the cursor at the point the "CD Track Start" marker is by going to the CD tab, and double clicking on the relevant CD track. This puts the cursor right at the marker point.
I should then be able to press my space bar, and it will play - but it doesn't do anything. If I use the on-screen ttransport control to play, it plays, but the space bar won't stop it, it has to be the on-screen transport control.

If I manually click in the timeline to place the cursor in / on the marker, it is fine, and my space bar works no problem. It is when I use the double-click-on-the-track in the CD/SACD tab that it doesn't work.

As you can imagine, it becomes a bit more than a small niggly pain after a while, particularly when doing a series of compilations with lots of tracks to set the markers for!

I don't suppose eitehr this is fixed in the forthcoming SP1, or could ve fixed in SP1?

AVI
Alexander Van Ingen
Six Music Productions
www.sixmp.co.uk

tim

Postby tim » Fri Mar 10, 2006 07:11

I think this is because you must select the timeline portion (upper "half") of the screen, or else select the tab window (lower "half")...you cannot have both selected. When you select the CD Marker tab, your play/stop command won't work until you first select the timeline.

Tim

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Fri Mar 10, 2006 08:08

tim wrote:I think this is because you must select the timeline portion (upper "half") of the screen, or else select the tab window (lower "half")...you cannot have both selected. When you select the CD Marker tab, your play/stop command won't work until you first select the timeline.

Tim

not true, you could do this before V5. I guess it has to do with the paradigm, how shortcuts are assigned to certain windows or the whole program. Merging should again have the space bar assigned to play/stop regardless of the window clicked last. Only when a text field is clicked for text input, then obviously the space bar should only make a space.

regards
Bernhard

avi

Postby avi » Fri Mar 10, 2006 14:35

Indeed you could... I've no particular wish to go backwards to v4, but for those of us who mainly do stereo editing the FEW doesn't seem any better in v5 (and has the additional issue dealt with elsewhere) and this issue with checking the CD marker placement...

AVI
Alexander Van Ingen

Six Music Productions

www.sixmp.co.uk

Silas

Postby Silas » Fri Mar 10, 2006 17:19

This bothers me also. After double clicking the CD marker I have to click on the track info panel to get the waveform side of the program to be accessible.
If I am just checking the placement of all the CD starts I let the cursor continue playing and then double click down the list of CD markers. This way I can audition them all without goin through the space bar problem each time.

Best,
Silas

Steve

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 10, 2006 23:05

I agree with Avi, this is a loss of functionality for me. The last thing I did in v4.3 before creating an image was to make sure the cd markers were in the right spot (and weren't moved accidentally) by navigating to all of them in the CD tab, and using the space bar to start and stop play. Quick and elegant. Pierre-Andre, what do you think? Can you bring this back?

Cheers,
Steve

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sat Mar 11, 2006 07:50

Hi All,

The reason it's messed up is the enhanced text/list navigation functions that were added in V5 .This makes all of the Tab windows behave in a much more 'modal' fashion. So we've gained that but lost the easy connection back to the EDL and it's play functions

This one has been bugging me for some time as well. So much so, that I pleaded with Dominique to add a command that would return the 'focus' to the EDL.

Well, he did that (VIEW menu/Set Focus to Timeline), but it doesn't work (at least here) because the key shortcut I'm trying to use must be somehow 'captured' in the CD window.

I've now tried almost every key combination that I can think of and none do the job...of course, you can select it in the menu, but that rather defeats the purpose... :wink:

So, yeah, something needs to be done about this!

In the mean time, here's what I do as a workaround:

I have key shortcuts for navigating to the 'next' and 'previous' CD markers in the EDL. Combining this with a couple of the audition functions like 'Play upto' and 'Play from' achieves the same result as navigating in the CD tab window. Actually, I like it better most of the time!

I've mapped 'Shift-b' to 'nudge cursor to previous CD marker' and 'Shift-n' to 'nudge cursor to next CD marker. (Cursors & Marks menu/Nudge sub-menu)

F1 is 'play upto cursor'
F2 is 'play through cursor'
F3 is 'play from cursor'

I hope this is helpful,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

avi

Postby avi » Sun Mar 12, 2006 01:02

The reason it's messed up is the enhanced text/list navigation functions that were added in V5 .This makes all of the Tab windows behave in a much more 'modal' fashion. So we've gained that but lost the easy connection back to the EDL and it's play functions

Is this also the reason we can't rename Media while a CD is being imported?
It's useful to use 'dead time' while the CD is loading to rename media from the previous CD load...

AVI
Alexander Van Ingen

Six Music Productions

www.sixmp.co.uk

avi

Postby avi » Wed Mar 15, 2006 09:22

Mentioning the PQ markers, I noticed this morning that...

the icons / buttons at the top of the screen by default, for adding / deleting CD markers...:

Hover your mouse over the CD with a play arrow - a pop up box says "Add CD Start Marker". But down at the bottom left of the screen, the legend says "Add CD Stop marker".

Hover your mouse over the CD with a stop square - the pop up says "Add CD Stop marker", bottom left it says "Add CD Start Marker".

Whoops.

AVI
Alexander Van Ingen

Six Music Productions

www.sixmp.co.uk