How can you key gate with the PMX Dynamics Processer?

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
paulicox

How can you key gate with the PMX Dynamics Processer?

Postby paulicox » Mon May 09, 2005 06:50

Does the pmx dynamics effect have a key? Does any one know if the Direct X Gate has one?

Silas

Postby Silas » Mon May 09, 2005 17:53

Hey Paul,

Check your e-mail as well...As far as I know there is no Key function in the Dynamics plugin (would be nice for the future).

With Waves C1 comp-gate load it onto a Stereo strip in the PMX mixer. In the bottom section set the key mode to L->R. Assign the track you want to hear to the Right side of the strip. Assign the track that you want to key with to the Left side and adjust gate open threshhold to taste. The only strange thing is that you will be panning the right track with the stereo pot. It works. I think in V 5.x they will eventually have individual pans for each track of a stereo pair (fingers crossed.)

Best,
Silas

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Mon May 09, 2005 19:42

Very Clever!

The fact that Pyramix' stereo strip pan-pot is really a 'blend' control doesn't get in the way of this workaround?.

Version 5 will have individual pans for each strip input (at least in stereo, it will.)

Best,

Graemme

Silas wrote:Hey Paul,

Check your e-mail as well...As far as I know there is no Key function in the Dynamics plugin (would be nice for the future).

With Waves C1 comp-gate load it onto a Stereo strip in the PMX mixer. In the bottom section set the key mode to L->R. Assign the track you want to hear to the Right side of the strip. Assign the track that you want to key with to the Left side and adjust gate open threshhold to taste. The only strange thing is that you will be panning the right track with the stereo pot. It works. I think in V 5.x they will eventually have individual pans for each track of a stereo pair (fingers crossed.)

Best,
Silas
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Silas

Postby Silas » Mon May 09, 2005 23:08

Hi Graemme,

I hope all is well with you. In my flash attempt it worked. The waves plug seems to take care of not allowing any of the trigger track audio through so the "blend" pot is really just moving the desired track around. Don't know if the "panning law" is the same as usual but it moved from Left to Right.

How are those Lipinski's??

Best Wishes,
Silas

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Tue May 10, 2005 01:21

Hi Silas,

Try this:

Send a tone through a stereo strip (both channels) and hit the polarity-reverse button on that same strip. Rotate the 'Pan' control to either extreme. What I find is that the signal nulls out completely at the left/right extremes of the pot travel, suggesting that the two signals are being blended in equal amounts/levels.

...a balance control, it ain't :twisted:

I really like the Lipinski's (L707). A sub is necessary (should also be a sealed-box type) and they don't play *really* loud. Having said that, I find them to be a rare combination of 'microscope' and enjoyable to listen to.

I think that you and Adam would appreciate their ability to accurately deliver the 'sound' of the recording venue (in other words, their behaviour in the time domain is rather good!).

Maybe we'll get to hook up around AES time in NYC??

Best,

Graemme

Silas wrote:Hi Graemme,

I hope all is well with you. In my flash attempt it worked. The waves plug seems to take care of not allowing any of the trigger track audio through so the "blend" pot is really just moving the desired track around. Don't know if the "panning law" is the same as usual but it moved from Left to Right.

How are those Lipinski's??

Best Wishes,
Silas
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

Silas

Postby Silas » Tue May 10, 2005 02:17

suggesting that the two signals are being blended in equal amounts/levels.

...a balance control, it ain't

Yikes! Looking forward to V5 even more now. :roll:

Glad to hear that the Lipinskis are a good investment. I'd love to hear them sometime.

Maybe we'll get to hook up around AES time in NYC??

I'd like that very much. Lets plan on it. Hopefully Merging will be showing a beautiful new mixer then too...

Best Wishes,
Silas

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Mon May 16, 2005 22:48

Graemme wrote:
Version 5 will have individual pans for each strip input (at least in stereo, it will.)

Hi Graemme,

a little OT, but:

will it have individual level control for each channel as well (balance in the original sense)?

I didn't dare to install 5.0.4 in the middle of projects yet, and look for myself.

Regards
Bernhard

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Tue May 17, 2005 04:10

Hi Bernhard,

beta 5.0.4b4 doesn't have this implemented yet. So, maybe there's still time to ask Dominique to consider other ideas. :wink:

To me, the simplest way to achieve all of these things is with three controls:

One balance 'pot' that receives the stereo chanel's output feeding a pan 'pot' for each channel, respectively, that is then routed to the stereo bus.

I'm sure there are other ways, too.

Best,

Graemme

Bernhard Guettler wrote:
Graemme wrote:

Hi Graemme,

a little OT, but:

will it have individual level control for each channel as well (balance in the original sense)?

I didn't dare to install 5.0.4 in the middle of projects yet, and look for myself.

Regards
Bernhard
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

Old Sadie

Re: How can you key gate with the PMX Dynamics Processer?

Postby Old Sadie » Thu May 26, 2005 12:32

paulicox wrote:Does the pmx dynamics effect have a key? Does any one know if the Direct X Gate has one?

I have a (rather complex) workaround which I use for de-essing.

Send the 'key' signal to an internal buss. Create 2 stereo strips: route the stereo signal you require so that the left channel goes to the left channel of the 1st stereo strip, and the right channel to the right channel of the second stereo strip. Route the internal bus to the right input of the 1st stereo strip. Then simply 'dump' the key signals out of the two channel strips to unused internal busses. You can also make the compressor 'look ahead' by adding a delay to the stereo channels. By running the 'key' signal at a much higher level than the audio, you can effectively make the dynamics only respond to the key.

If this doesn't make sense, email me (jon@the-digital-audio.co.uk) and I'll send you a desk snapshot.

Jon Blamire
Mastering Engineer

jon@the-digital-audio.co.uk
www.the-digital-audio.co.uk