Pyramix 4.3 stereo file sync

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Silas

Postby Silas » Tue Feb 08, 2005 05:09

Hi John,

It's my understanding that non-realtime image creation uses the CPU for processing whereas real-time uses the Myk DSP. Perhaps out of paranoia i have always created final master images in real time - refs in non-realtime. Perhaps its worth trying real-time for a while. If the issue clears up I'd say it was something to do with the CPU or PMX-CPU interface when handling the image creation rather than the board (?)

Best,
Silas

tim

Postby tim » Wed Feb 09, 2005 07:19

Not sure if this will help....but my playback buffer window is always blank if Pyramix is open but there is no project open (just blank Pmix screen). As soon as I open a project, the buffer window returns to its default setting (65536 or something similar).

Tim

MikeP

Postby MikeP » Thu Feb 10, 2005 05:31

There is one additional strange issue I think is part of this: The default AutoCross Fade setting of 2.5ms was not working on routine edits. It had to be moved to 5ms to prevent pops/glitches.

After analyzing everything, listening to others, including Graemme, and Pierre, this is what we did:

Un-Installed Pyramix per Pierre's instructions in 'Tips & Tricks' . You have to look a bit more for "Myk*.*" files in XP and delete them. Then, after a re-boot, installed VT, followed by Pyramix 4.3.3. After going through the many General Settings modifications to re-setup the system, I came back to the Playback tab to set the Buffer size. The slider was all the way to the left and nothing in the Buffer field. I moved the slider to about the halfway point, entered 65536 in the field, hit Set, then OK out. Loaded an EDL, random sample played everything. Back to General Settings / Playback and the Buffer setting was still there.

John used the system all day (nearly 10 hours) hammering it harder than usual (simply because of the work requirement), with dozens of butt edits, several images, and the system never once skipped a beat, lost sync, popped accross an edit, or messed up an image.

We think the manual un-install was the key to everything. Why there was no Buffer setting on a new install is still a mystery.

Thanks for all the input, and I hope we all learned something. I did.

Mike
Listen to the Music, Not the Technology

John Mayfield

Postby John Mayfield » Sat Feb 12, 2005 05:05

I also would like to thank all who responded to this situation. As we all know, software can be exponentially problematic with each update. Fix one problem and two other new problems can pop up (seemingly unrelated). But I believe I am working with a very quality oriented product...one that gives back exactly what is put into it. That's hard to do.

Thanks again for all your help and hope I can return the favor soon!

John Mayfield
Mayfield Mastering
Nashville, TN

John Mayfield

Pyramix 4.3 Stereo File Sync Proplems Returned!

Postby John Mayfield » Thu Mar 03, 2005 04:42

As a folllow-up to this problem, it appears that the file syncing problem still exists. Upon random playback commands of a simple stereo interleaved file, the right channel is still dropping out (or begins playing from the wrong position). After about two seconds, all is corrected.

I also found that a CD image cut last week was also missing the first two seconds of the right channel.

It is interesting to note that the day before I cut that same CD image, we had upgraded to the MB5 pci card and doubled my ram to twin 512's. I had been having the syncing problem before this hardware upgrade and appear to still be having it now.

Is anyone else having this annoying problem?

Thanks,

John Mayfield
Mayfield Mastering
Nashville, TN