PM 7.1.10 Crashing w/Win 7 SP 1

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
John Mayfield

PM 7.1.10 Crashing w/Win 7 SP 1

Postby John Mayfield » Sat Jun 09, 2012 22:27

We are currently using PM 7.1.10 build 16157, MassCore with Win 7 SP1 on the same motherboard Merging uses in their turnkey systems. (Intel i7-2600k - @3.40 ghz + 8gb ram) We are also running Vipre Internet Security. We are experiencing frequent crashing when changing to previously saved mixer presets. These mixer presets contain various VST plugins from: Slate, Oxford, PSP, Ozone, etc. We are also frequently crashing upon closing a project...large or small. Crashing will also occur while removing a strip or simply turning off delay compensation. All of these commands require a complete console rebuild (as per the way PM is designed at this point) and might be a clue as to the cause.
Any Ideas?

Paulo M

Re: PM 7.1.10 Crashing w/Win 7 SP 1

Postby Paulo M » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:04

Is this a new hardware setup or is the same you were using with a previous Pyramix version?

Were you running Win 7 before the crashes start to occur?

Which Mykerinos card are you using with this setup?

Have you tried a complete Pyramix install by first removing the installed version, including the RTX?

Sorry for answering with questions, but it's important to know.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

John Mayfield

Postby John Mayfield » Mon Jun 11, 2012 16:44

Paulo, thanks for your help.

Is this a new hardware setup or is the same you were using with a previous Pyramix version?
Actually, this is a brand new computer built by my staff utilizing the same motherboard Merging uses in it's turn-key systems. All directions have been followed very closely.

Were you running Win 7 before the crashes start to occur?
Prior to this, we were using Win XP SP3 with very few issues.

Which Mykerinos card are you using with this setup?
I am using the same MB5 card I've had for years.

Have you tried a complete Pyramix install by first removing the installed version, including the RTX?
Yes

We've done everything "by the book".

Thanks for whatever you can do for us!

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Mon Jun 11, 2012 22:57

Hi John,

Do you have the latest versions of all of your VST plug-ins?

VST buffer settings? VST load?

Using the VST Scanner, do a full re-scan of your VST plug-ins (I'm not at my computer; choose the one that dumps the existing list and re-scans). If a re-scan doesn't help, then use the VST Scanner to de-select the VSTs, one by one until stability is restored (Maybe...)

Another thought:

I have had many occasions where a new Pyramix version has de-stabilized my setup and the culprit was often a template or mixer preset made in an older version. So, what happens if you re-create one of your mixer presets with your current system?

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Tue Jun 12, 2012 01:11

Hi Jonh,

I think Graemme pointed out some possible causes, worth exploring. I´m currently still running XP SP3 without any problems. Until recently with a MB5 as well. Considering you´re not using a PCIe card such as the X30 or X50, which apparently have some issues with the i7 processors(although not very well explained on Merging site), I don´t think there´s an issue on that side of things. Neither with the chipset, considering you´re using the same recommended Intel board.

Hopefully you´re not using WIN 7 64 bit, which is not compatible with Pyramix Masscore running on Mykerinos. I didn´t ask, I presumed you were aware of that already and are using the 32 bit version.

Sorry I don´t have any more ideas about what may be causing your problems, maybe others can chime in.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

John Mayfield

Postby John Mayfield » Tue Jun 12, 2012 01:22

Hey Graemme, Paulo,

Thanks for your time on this one. Yea, I've got all the latest versions of all of my plugs (I'll double check that again tomorrow) and VST load doesn't seem to be a problem. I've learned how to spread the load out so that that never happens. (For example, I put the Slate Digital FX-G on a single channel by itself if used.)
And yes, I've done complete re-scans and cleaned up my library of VST plugs many times.

The current list of mixer presets was created two days ago. We re-installed PM on Friday 6/08 and I rebuilt 4 consoles Sat. 6/09. So we're current there.

It seems that every crash occurs from a command on my part that requires a complete console re-build. This occurs (because of the way PM currently is structured) when a VST is added, or moved up / down or a console preset is requested. It also happens when we simply change sample rates on a given EDL.

I can open any project without any problem...regardless of the configuration of the console. I simply cannot ask for a different preset or move/add a VST, or change sample rates, without a crash occurring about 50-60% of the time.

And yes Paulo, I'm on Win 7 SP1-32 bit

Tomorrow will be spent testing new presets with the VST elimination process.

Thanks...John M

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Tue Jun 12, 2012 08:51

Hi,

I'm not absolutely sure, But :
In this case, I close ALL. I uninstall the latest soft/plug/DRIVER installed. I use regcleaner (or other) to have a "clean computer". For Pyramix, I do REPAIR
in "add/delete program". In VS3 control panel, I choose the highest latency (the badest, in fact). I uncheck "enable Virtual transport server"
Have you checked your Mykerinos priority in the registry ? Have you changed the slot of your Mykerinos or anything in the hardware configuration ? Have you a firewall ?
Is it configured to let Pyramix working ? Have you checked your windows configuration and your memory strips ?

In this case, I check ALL hardware an software

It seems that this is a memory access conflict IMO

:D
best regards,

Bernardo de Lavalla
pyramix 10 Native; windows 10 64 Bits; Asrock Z 270 PRO 4; intel core i7 7700 4.20 GHz; 16G DDR4;
1 SSD M2 Nvme for system; 1 SSD M2 Nvme for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 1T. for backups.