extend selection?

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Rubato

extend selection?

Postby Rubato » Tue Mar 25, 2003 01:08

here are a few commands I cannot find yet. Can you assist?

Extend selection to end of clip

Extend selection to start of clip

select from cursor to end of clip

select from cursor to beginning of clip

thanks in advance!

ML

Rubato

Postby Rubato » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:39

Well, today I created my first macros to achieve the first two commands above. I'm very proud of myself!

Now, here's a poser: If I "ctrl-C" a clip I want onto my clipboard, then select a 'bad' clip I want to replace with my good clip, and go "ctrl-V", my good clip plugs right in there, but the bad clip is still there too-- it just moved over to the end of my new edit! How to get the bad clip to truly be replaced?

One user was sure it is because I have had 'auto ripple' turned on, but this problem happens whether 'auto ripple' is enabled or not.

thanks, once again, in advance!

ML

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:41

Hi Mark,

Ctrl-V is "Paste and Ripple". You want another one of the paste commands.

Regards,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Rubato

Postby Rubato » Thu Mar 27, 2003 19:32

Ah! I'll go figure out which one I should use. Thanks!

M

phaseboy

Postby phaseboy » Thu Mar 27, 2003 20:28

That's interesting. On my installation (none of the following modified). ctrl-alt-v is paste and ripple. ctrl-v is paste to cursor.

I wonder if it might makes things easier if we all refer to actions by their name and not keystroke... there does seem to be a lot of inconsistency.

BTW - I think that what Mark is in effect doing is replacing a section of music with the same thing (that happens to be slightly shorter). With a paste function this would leave a little left over at the end. The solution I have come up with to get around this is to (once you already have what you want on the clipboard) select the region to be replaced and put the cursor at the start of that selection. Then use the replace selection command, followed by paste at cursor - with auto ripple enabled. This can easily be put into a macro, and I believe would do what Mark is looking for.

Using both in and out gates you can also accomplish this with source/destination editing.

Best,

Mark

Rubato

Postby Rubato » Fri Mar 28, 2003 08:39

Mark-

I will try that as a macro.

For today, the solution I found was using the Placement tool-- setup as follows:

insert mode : "Replace"/ 'align Head'/ 'ripple'

Your suggested macro looks good-- I struggled with "replace selection" today and was dismayed that it seemed to do nothing more than delete the selection, replacing it with nothing. If I follow it with 'paste at cursor', though, I may have what I need.

While looking for a solution to this problem today, I was wandering for a while in an odd never-never land where a 'paste' type command would often create a situation where the pasted material would play simultaneously with the 'replaced' area. The track, in this case, would turn kinda 'grey'.

How did I get to this?

Phew!

ML

Steve

selection extension

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 02, 2003 21:30

Mark, I use the middle button on my mouse to accomplish quite easily all of these commands:

Extend selection to end of clip
Extend selection to start of clip
select from cursor to end of clip
select from cursor to beginning of clip

For example, to select from the cursor to the start or end of a clip, simply click w/the middle mouse button the part you want selected and it will select btwn the cursor and the end or start of the clip.

To extend selection I have been holding down the shift key and then clicking the middle mouse button on the unselected part of the clip.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Rubato

Postby Rubato » Wed Apr 02, 2003 22:35

Steve-

A dream come true! Absolutely a big help! I can hardly wait to try this trick!

ML

phaseboy

Postby phaseboy » Wed Apr 02, 2003 23:26

Ahhh...I use a trackball, and don't have a middle button.

Rubato

Postby Rubato » Thu Apr 03, 2003 03:07

Steve-

That does not work for me as I have my middle button set up. I will gladly set it up as you have yours, though- just tell me what it's currently set to on your PC.

In case you don't know how to do that (you probably do know), go to the control panel, click mouse, click buttons. There is probably a drop-down menu that will allow you to set your center wheel to any number of functions.

Really looking forward to the solution to this problem. It's benn annoying me for weeks! None of the macros I have work perfectly all the time yet...

ML

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 03, 2003 19:00

Mark,

My mouse is not configured in any special way, and in the control panel there is no way for me to assign the middle button to anything. But....this is a Logitech USB wheel mouse, and I'm using the scroll wheel as the middle button to click to do the selecting I described earlier. It just worked this way from the day I set the computer up. I'm also on Windows XP Pro and using 4.1RC3, but I'm sure it has worked this way for me since at least beta 13. Sorry I wish I knew what to tell you, I hope you can get this functionality soon!

Good luck,
-Steve

Rubato

Postby Rubato » Fri Apr 04, 2003 00:09

Thanks, Steve-

Per your PM, I'll be contacting Nicolas @ Merging. At least now I know that the move is possible!!

does anyone else besides Steve use this move?

ML