Loss of project file after sudden exit

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Thomas Grubb

Loss of project file after sudden exit

Postby Thomas Grubb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 09:14

Hi everyone,

I had a rather serious problem with a large project (2 groups of 18 tracks of 24/96 with many edits). After saving the project, Pyramix (V.5 SP3) suddenly exited to the desktop and the saved file had vanished! I'd kept a backup so not much was lost, but still, it probably should not have happened.

For the most part editing and playing the project is fine (with the occasional hold-up selecting all of the clips for mixdown - I've taken to just mixing between the markers). I hadn't had any exits since upgrading RAM to 3GB a few weeks ago, but perhaps that was just luck!

So, I suppose one should always keep a backup and work on a copy.

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb
manomusica.com
Melbourne

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Tue Mar 25, 2008 09:58

Hi Thomas,
that sounds like the out of memory issue to me. Was there lots of automation tracks/versions in addition to the high edit density in the project? For me it sometimes worked out well to reduce the number of undo steps in general settings, which reduces memory usage big time. But you didn't get the out of memory message? IIRC sometimes this message comes too late. I also once lost a project file that way.

Cheers
Bernhard

Thomas Grubb

Postby Thomas Grubb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:41

Hi Bernhard,

There was no memory error-message, and only a little clip-based automation of volume. I'll try reducing the undo steps though - I'd forgotten that that can help.

Thanks!
Tom
Thomas Grubb

manomusica.com

Melbourne

charlienyc

save twice

Postby charlienyc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 17:08

hi Thomas,
you can also save your project twice, creating an up-to-date copy in the alternate backup folder. this is assuming you use that feature. i've gotten into the habit of doing this when i've completed a large portion of a project, just in case 8)
cheers,
-c

tim

Postby tim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 20:21

As Charlie says, the Auto-save feature can be a great help - but FYI this Out-of-memory (a.k.a."Disappearing projects") syndrome is capable of wiping out BOTH your primary save and your Auto-save files. Best is to manually keep a third copy, which you update from time to time, in a location which Pyramix doesn't know about.

Tim

charlienyc

double save

Postby charlienyc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 20:29

that's a great idea too. sorry it's not the alternate backup, but the auto-backup. my thinking was if you save twice, Pmx creates two backup versions in the project's backup folder. when you have the "poof crash," the latest one will be lost, but the previous backup "project.pmx (backup 2)" file will be unaffected by the crash.

tim

Postby tim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 22:02

No, Charlie...you were right, I was wrong. Auto-save stinks (just wait until you open up an EDL sometime, make a few tweaks, then decide to just close & not save...realizing later that Auto-save has ruined your day). What I was referring to is Alternate-backup, which in my opinion is a must. But as I mentioned, these files (as well as the ones in the Backup folder which Pyramix creates) can still fall prey to the Out-of-Memory issue.

Tim

Thomas Grubb

Postby Thomas Grubb » Wed Mar 26, 2008 07:01

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I do have both auto-save (5 versions with a save every 10 minutes) and alternate backup going to another drive.

Interestingly, an auto-save version is also saved to the alternate drive location. This file (and the auto-save file in the Backup directory) are the last surviving versions of the project, both created about 8 minutes before "big bang". There is no sign of the original file except one created 2 hours earlier, probably made when I had last closed the project.

I wonder if it has something to do with Windows rather than Pyramix as Cubase used to do exactly the same thing from time to time (including zapping the file!).

I've reduced undo now to 8 levels (down from 16) and will see if that helps.

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb

manomusica.com

Melbourne

Steve

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 02, 2008 21:21

Hi folks,

If this is the same problem, the 'sudden exit and disappearing project' bug appeared with v5sp3. I'll post below a thread to a previous discussion of this problem. It seems that staying on v5sp2 or upgrading to v6 are 2 ways around this problem. At my day job management is not very happy about the prospect of being forced to pay for v6 to solve this problem:

http://forum.merging.com/viewtopic.php?t=3194

Thomas Grubb

Postby Thomas Grubb » Thu Apr 03, 2008 02:53

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link - looks like there is no other choice than to upgrade. Funny though that other users have had a memory error message, but I've never had any warnings.

Rather annoying though having to upgrade for this reason rather than for the wonderful new features :-(

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb

manomusica.com

Melbourne