Merging Horus glitch and drop outs

Official discussion forum for the Merging range of networkable converters
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
darkray707

Merging Horus glitch and drop outs

Postby darkray707 » Sat May 25, 2019 08:04

Hello guys

I wanted to ask in there is anyone who is experiencing the dropout or glitches while using Horus with other DAWs, not Pyramix.

Ableton Live is my main daw and my horus is connected to my 2015 MBP directly via TB2-Ethernet connector.

The latency of the horus and VAD is set to the same 64 smpl.

VAD and the Horus are both updated to the newest firmware/hardware.

Problem is that, there is no glitch nor dropouts if I use the builtin audio, but if I swith to the Merging/Ravenna as my audio source,
glitch and dropouts happens again.

If there is any solution please let me know. Because of these, it is hard to keep up on the work.

If I buy the Ravenna PCIe card(I don't know if it exist) would it solve? or should I buy another AES interface such as Weiss AF11? or should I buy Avid native thunderbolt and PT64 for horus?

I am so stressed out.

If would be great if you guys share the experience and knowledge.

marxov

Re: Merging Horus glitch and drop outs

Postby marxov » Sun May 26, 2019 11:17

I've had dropouts occur regularly with W10 1709, ASIO 11.1.5 and 3.9.1 firmware on our Horus in 64 framing mode and 256 buffer @96kHz.
With ASIO 11.0.6 and 3.9.0 firmware all was great.

I've talked to support about these issues and they are trying hard (I believe them and I know this isn't easy) but I am getting very annoyed with testing these things every time there is a new driver available. I just hope Merging considers stability and quality of the drivers their top priority.

Thomas Grubb

Postby Thomas Grubb » Sun Jun 02, 2019 02:28

Have you tried using a frame size of 48?

I’ve been using the latest Hapi firmware and v12 ASIO driver with Cubase 10 and was getting dropouts with 64 frame/128 sample buffer combination on projects that worked with the v11 driver and previous firmware. Switching to a 48 frame 96 sample buffer solved the issue.

Might be worth experimenting.

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb
manomusica.com
Melbourne

marxov

Postby marxov » Sun Jun 02, 2019 22:37

I have been testing the new ASIO v12.0.1 and 3.9.4 firmware on Horus in 64 framing with 256 buffer for the past week and it was all fine. This is on a newly built desktop machine with 7700K and W10 1803 and all Merging recommended optimizations. I've also tried 3.9.1 and 11.1.5 on this machine and was getting dropouts. Will test 48 framing with the new stuff this week and all the other combinations.

BUT here is the problem .. I don't want to test this every time there is a new driver/firmware available and be surprised that what worked before doesn't work anymore with nothing changed except the driver/firmware.

I'm happy to test pre-production firmware/driver if it says so. I'm just annoyed when something gets rushed out labeled as stable without proper testing. Previous two Horus firmware revisions for example and ASIO v12.0.2 that appeared on the first day (23.5.) of this update wave.

I love the hardware from Merging don't get me wrong and the flexibility it gives me, but software (mainly ASIO drivers) have a long way to go in regards to stability and performance if you compare it to RME drivers for example and we should compare it to them because let's be honest, they are still the best.

Sorry for the rant and I will report back how the testing goes this week.

Marko

darkray707

Postby darkray707 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 04:07

As far as I know, higher the buffer size from the DAW, less dropouts.

That is the reason why I set it up to 2048, which is the highest. Also this is the reason why I set 64 smpl for the Horus. Thought it would be less driving Horus and my MBP to the limit.

After many weeks of tweaking and setting the different things over and over, I still can't find the reason. It could be the software, Wifi interference, or something. I think I tried almost everything that I really can. There could be the possibility that my project is way too heavy for my CPU to handle BOTH the project and the Merging/Ravenna VAD at the same time.

The thing is ff I change the Audio output device to "Built-in audio," I hear no dropouts... So CPU can handle the project it self, but the thing is if I change it to Merging/Ravenna VAD, then there are the dropouts. CPU usage didn't even reach to 17%.

I seriously am wondering how other people are using Horus or Hapi without using other digital interface. Really curious. No offense to the Merging. I really love their hardware. It is the best multi channel converter that I have ever heard, but it is almost impossible to mix a project while only using VAD.

Can you guys really work with it only using VAD without Masscore system? If there is, please let me know how "heavy" your project is.

Maybe it is time to get the digital interface? :(

ljudatervinning

Postby ljudatervinning » Mon Jun 03, 2019 07:35

If it stops you from getting your job done, get a RME card with digital out and connect to your Horus. It will work, and you can carry on with your work.
Later come back, and hopefully the VAD driver will be improved.
Pyramix Native 11.1.5 / Ravenna ASIO 11.1.5
win10 Pro 1803 / Nvidia GTX 670, 3 monitors
win10 Pro 1803 / Lenovo P50, 4K

marxov

Postby marxov » Mon Jun 03, 2019 09:39

@darkray707 it's possible that your MBP just can't handle the load with VAD, but I doubt it. Is this a dual-core or quad-core? Have you followed this https://confluence.merging.com/display/PUBLICDOC/Mac+Configuration+Guide? Have you tried a different ethernet adapter?

@ljudatervinning it's not that it doesn't work and I can't get work done, as I said for now v12.0.1 and 3.9.4 seems to be fine for me (as was 11.0.6 and 3.9.0). It's just that some combos all of a sudden have random problems.

ljudatervinning

Postby ljudatervinning » Mon Jun 03, 2019 14:59

Hi marxov. My respons was mainly adressed to darkray77. Sorry for the confusion.
Pyramix Native 11.1.5 / Ravenna ASIO 11.1.5
win10 Pro 1803 / Nvidia GTX 670, 3 monitors
win10 Pro 1803 / Lenovo P50, 4K

marxov

Postby marxov » Mon Jun 03, 2019 18:16

No worries, it's after all a discussion :)

darkray707

Postby darkray707 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 03:54

Thank you all for trying to help me :)

@marxov Yes I did all of those set-up guideline. Still dropouts... :roll:

@ljudatervinning Maybe I should. Actually I was thinking to get a new digital interface..but I want to know why though :mrgreen: