native latency rates- what's yours?

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

native latency rates- what's yours?

Postby Mark Lemaire » Wed Nov 21, 2018 02:01

Just wondering what is the best likely throughput rate I might expect. My old system (Win XP, PMX 5.3, Mykerinos cards) I would get about 4.3ms. My current native system, I am getting about 55ms using 96k. This is with minimal processing.

What are others getting? Curious how good it can be.
Mark Lemaire
RubatoRecording.com
Audiophile recording of your music. Anywhere. Anytime.
Mark Lemaire

Re: native latency rates- what's yours?

Postby ljudatervinning » Thu Nov 22, 2018 17:08

I find it difficult to compare performance at different latencies between systems.
For native, ASIO buffers, processor load etc comes in to play.
How are you measuring your latency, is it roundtrip with converters or is it something else?
55ms seem a bit high. It s equivalent to 5280 samples at 96kHz.
Pyramix Native 11.1.5 / Ravenna ASIO 11.1.5
win10 Pro 1803 / Nvidia GTX 670, 3 monitors
win10 Pro 1803 / Lenovo P50, 4K
ljudatervinning

Postby Mark Lemaire » Thu Nov 22, 2018 20:00

For simplicity’s sake, I am simply reading to you the latency figures that are at the bottom of the screen when PMX is open.For purposes of comparison, what numbers are you getting?
Mark Lemaire
RubatoRecording.com
Mark Lemaire

Postby fl » Fri Nov 23, 2018 17:39

That number at the bottom of the Pyramix screen will vary depending on a few factors, most notably the latency setting you've chosen for your ASIO interface (should you be using one), as well as the number of plug-ins in use, combined with their maximum Delay Compensation setting (Settings > Mixer > Mixer Settings).

For example, on my system, with a 96 kHz. four track project loaded, but with all plug-ins, of all types, removed, and with my ASIO connected RME Fireface set to its lowest latency setting of 96 samples, and with the Mixer's Automatic Delay Compensation turned off, I get 397 samples/4.1 ms.

Turn on Automatic Delay Compensation, and set it to the default 116 ms., that goes up to 493 samples/5.1 ms.

Change the Fireface's ASIO Latency to its maximum of 2048 samples, which I like to do when I'm editing, mixing or mastering, that climbs up to 4301 samples/44.8 ms.

Add in a reasonable selection of VS3 and VST plug-ins, that that gets up to 8817 samples/91.8 ms.

When I'm editing, mixing or mastering, I don't really care about Latency, and I'm happy for everything to be set to its maximum value, so that my machine is not stressed unduly. When I'm recording on location, if it's a session and I have a control room set up that is away from the performance space, I'll leave everything at max, because acoustic bleed doesn't interfere with my monitoring. If I'm recording a concert, and have to be located within the performance space, I might reduce the ASIO Latency to 128 samples, just so the bleed doesn't drive me crazy, but in all other cases, I prefer to keep the settings at their max. so that my laptop runs cooler, which when you're running a Bootcamped Mac with Windows 7, is an important consideration.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.5/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.124
fl

Postby Mark Lemaire » Fri Nov 23, 2018 20:44

Frank

Thank you! That’s exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. I’ll give it a shot but I’m sitting down at the computer next time.
Mark Lemaire
RubatoRecording.com
Mark Lemaire

Postby SteveCeltic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 17:24

Pyramix 11.1.5 Hotfix
Native
Fireface UCX

Buffersize (latency) 128 for recording voices/post sync - I get clicks but no latency/delay to the artist in the studio. Clicks are on monitoring only.
Buffersize for mixing is at least 1024 samples. No issues whatsoever with mixing.

Steven, Lefel Dau, Wales
SteveCeltic

Return to Pyramix Native