stok limiter

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

stok limiter

Postby 80bit » Sun Aug 26, 2018 00:42

How can I use a limiter on pyramix ? I do not want to install an external limiter plugin how can I do that ?

Can you show it with picture?

thank you
Pyramix 11.1.4 Native with MTKey
Windows 10 64 bit
80bit

Re: stok limiter

Postby fl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 15:34

No picture, but it should be simple enough.

You say you DO NOT want to use a third party plug-in, correct? There are several plug-ins that come with Pyramix, which are of the VS3 type. One of the VS3 plug-ins - Bus Tools - has a Limiter built into it.

To install it, simply go to your Project's Mixer, and in the Strip or Bus where you wish to install the Limiter, right-click in the "Inserts" area above the fader where the plug-ins get installed. You can find more information about how to do this in the Manual starting on page 340 (I'm referring to the Pyramix 11.1.4 User Manual).

This should bring a pop-up menu - select "VS3 Effects", and "Add" in the next sub-menu, then in the next, "Combo" and from there, select "Bus Tools". This should install the Bus Tools plug-in on the strip or bus you started from.

There are two "Combo" plugins, and the only difference between them is that the Bus Tools has a Limiter, whereas the Strip Tools has a Compressor. You can find details about both of these in the Manual, starting on page 424, with particular emphasis on the Bus Tools Limiter found on page 432.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.5/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.124
fl

Postby 80bit » Sun Aug 26, 2018 22:54

I read the manual thank you but I'm curious about something, After reducing the limiter threshold with buss tools example threshold -6, will i increase limiter gain with output or input ? (inside buss tools)
Pyramix 11.1.4 Native with MTKey
Windows 10 64 bit
80bit

Postby fl » Mon Aug 27, 2018 14:39

80bit wrote:After reducing the limiter threshold with buss tools example threshold -6, will i increase limiter gain with output or input ? (inside buss tools)

Yes. Both. Either. It depends...

Increasing Input Level control (at the top) will bring the signal level up relative to the Threshold level (in the Limiter section), resulting in more peak reduction. Adjusting the Threshold Level will affect the level where Gain Reduction is engaged, thereby increasing or reducing the amount of gain reduction, as more or less of the signal will exceed the Threshold level, and be Limited accordingly. Lowering the Threshold will reduce the overall Output but, this can, in turn, be compensated with the Output Gain control (at the bottom). Activating the "Make Up" button (at the bottom) links the overall signal Output Level to the Threshold level (inversely) so that any reduction in the Threshold level will have a corresponding increase in the Output.

It's pretty straight-forward, and I'd recommend that you try it out with the Generator plug-in (another of the VS3 plug-ins which comes with Pyramix, in the "Other" category) placed ahead of it, so that you can see and hear the effects of changing the Generator's output level, the Limiter's input gain, the Threshold level, and the Bus Tools' Output (with and without the "Make Up" button engaged). Another VS3 plug-in which could be useful in this investigation would be the VU Meter (in "Test and Measurement"), so that you have visual, as well as audible indications as to what's going on.

Once you have an understanding of those controls, start exploring the various controls that affect the timing of the transitions from when the Limiter is reducing gain, and when it is not. These include the Release control in the Limiter section, and all the controls in the Limiter DRC (Dynamic Release Compensation) section immediately below (which can be turned on or off, as you wish). A good test signal for hearing the effects of these controls would be something like a series of transients, like a typical pop music snare drum track, where you have short bursts of signal separated by silences. I find that the best way to explore any kind of Gain reduction device or plug-in is simply to feed it something predictable and then twist the knobs until you hear something happening. With music, sometimes the results will be great, other times, horrible. And some people's "great" is other people's "horrible". That's why there's all those knobs.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.5/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.124
fl

Return to Pyramix Native