Cost Effective Control Surfaces

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
avi

Postby avi » Fri May 20, 2005 20:09

I wondered what people without the budget for expensive control surfaces use - and whether there's any major downside to any cheaper control surface.

In particular, I wondered if anyone had got the Behringer BCF2000 (or BCR2000) working successfully with PMX... it seems like a nice, cheap way of using hardware control (over MIDI or USB). We're talking around the UKP110 mark, which is very nice. Has anyone got a success (or failure) story with either of these?

Links:
http://www.behringer.com/BCF2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG
http://www.behringer.com/BCR2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I look forward to your views and experiences.

AVI

audioadvantage

Re: Cost Effective Control Surfaces

Postby audioadvantage » Sat May 28, 2005 03:07

[quote="avi"]I wondered what people without the budget for expensive control surfaces use - and whether there's any major downside to any cheaper control surface.

In particular, I wondered if anyone had got the Behringer BCF2000 (or BCR2000) working successfully with PMX... it seems like a nice, cheap way of using hardware control (over MIDI or USB). We're talking around the UKP110 mark, which is very nice. Has anyone got a success (or failure) story with either of these?

Links:
[url]http://www.behringer.com/BCF2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG[/url]
[url]http://www.behringer.com/BCR2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG[/url]

I look forward to your views and experiences.

AVI

I've been working with a Tascam FW-1884 check out "Mixing Conlose" under the topics menu.
Hope it's of some help
JB :)

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Wed Jun 01, 2005 16:36

Hi there,

I think you should consider Merging´s controller for Pyramix. It was introduced at the AES in Barcelona. Its called the E-Desk and comes as a neat surface with jog/scrub wheel, master fader and a lot of functions that will make life easier for editing. Also you have the option of an 8 fader extension module, for those of us who don´t like the mouse for mixing. Ask your local Merging dealer for details.

Julian Gough

Postby Julian Gough » Wed Jun 01, 2005 23:01

Paulo M wrote:Hi there,

I think you should consider Merging´s controller for Pyramix. It was introduced at the AES in Barcelona. Its called the E-Desk and comes as a neat surface with jog/scrub wheel, master fader and a lot of functions that will make life easier for editing. Also you have the option of an 8 fader extension module, for those of us who don´t like the mouse for mixing. Ask your local Merging dealer for details.

It's a shame it's not on the web site. :(

Julian

avi

Postby avi » Wed Jun 08, 2005 21:31

I've got hold of a BCF2000 (cost a little more than 100 UKP), and thus far the integration of it and PMX seems to be great. faders move on surface and software, pans, on-off and other such things... all is feeling good. I haven't yet had time to fully map things properly, but will report back when I have.

At the moment, then, it would seem like this is a very cost-effective control surface indeed - I can't think of anything else which comes close in terms of cost.

with thanks for your replies (I shall be checking out Merging's controller when I can too - I'd like a scrub /jog)

AVI

makina

Postby makina » Mon Jun 13, 2005 20:23

hi,

i'm a new user of pyramix software and hardware, i have too a BCF2000 and i can't put it to work!!? do i need to buy this "Remote Control (Midi HUI Protocol)" validation to use the Hui emulation?! does anyone know how much it could cost ?

thanks

Makina

gunthar

Postby gunthar » Tue Jun 14, 2005 01:08

the new controller is on the Website!

check out here; http://www.merging.com/isis/

it should available soon, and seems to be really well designed.

personaly I am still using a Radikal SAC 2.2, wich is a good solutions you can now find for a good price; And probably a way better than a berhinger controler...

see you all
Ed.

Julian Gough

Postby Julian Gough » Tue Jun 14, 2005 01:34

gunthar wrote:the new controller is on the Website!

check out here; http://www.merging.com/isis/

it should available soon, and seems to be really well designed.

It's is difficult to tell from the angle of the photographs.

I cannot see a number keypad. I am always going to timecode locations entered via the keyboard. Unless I'm the only one, I would have thought others do the same.

Apart from that one small observation, it's good to see the Pyramix family growing.

Julian

avi

Postby avi » Wed Jun 15, 2005 14:28

i'm a new user of pyramix software and hardware, i have too a BCF2000 and i can't put it to work!!? do i need to buy this "Remote Control (Midi HUI Protocol)" validation to use the Hui emulation?! does anyone know how much it could cost ?

thanks

Makina

Makina,
You need "Remote Control Support", but not the "HUI" variant, I think. At least, I don't have the HUI variant, and it seems to work. I should emphasise, however, that I haven't had a chance to fully map everything etc as yet, but the basic things I've trialled seem to work well.

AVI

makina

Postby makina » Thu Jun 16, 2005 00:15

Thanks Ed. Julian and AVI.

Ed. - im using the behringer because i dont have much budget to spend on a really good controller, its not a priority for now! thanks for the tip anyway i'll check Radikal SAC 2.2 later on.

AVI - I've bought the Mastering Pack it doesnt come with any kind of remote control protocol!!! :(
i use too logic pro 7 on a G5 that only cost 1000euros and have omf/aaf import and remote control protocols. its very nice to choose what you want to your pyramix but this kind of features that low cost software have, is almos rediculous pyramix dont have on a standard pack!! but policy is policy, i'm not anger or anything like that..
i'm starting to love pyramix i hope Version 5 come even better than this version!! :)

Julian - yep is very good to see that merging is not at sleep !

Thanks to everyone, and what a great group we have here!!

Congratulations,

Makina

avi

Postby avi » Thu Jun 16, 2005 15:31

Makina - I forgot to say - in the UK the remote control key is about UKP180 I think (+VAT). It would be nice if PMX came with everything, I agree - but then it would have a price tag more like a SADiE, and that wouldn't be so good!

AVI

makina

Postby makina » Fri Jun 17, 2005 00:24

AVI

Thank you very much.

Makina

tim

Postby tim » Thu Jun 23, 2005 22:25

For those using the Radikal SAC 2.2, what is the interface? Do you get, and can you control, the full (i.e. 0.3 dB) fader resolution? I am using an old JL Cooper 3800, with MIDI interface, and it's not very good...no fine resolution, because of the MIDI (touch a fader and it can jump 1 dB).

BTW, I understand the new Merging controller will be about $6k for both boxes, which will include the HUI software. I think also it will only work with version 5.

Thanks in advance....

Tim

gunthar

Postby gunthar » Fri Jun 24, 2005 21:01

the Radikal SAC 2.2, what is the interface? Do you get, and can you control, the full (i.e. 0.3 dB) fader resolution? I am using an old JL Cooper 3800, with MIDI interface, and it's not very good..

well the resolution is ok, or I've never paid attention...

no , seriously, I never noticed any strange reaction.
The interface is either midi or USB ,with an emulated midi port.

so the Sac 2.2 is still a nice controller.

BTW, I understand the new Merging controller will be about $6k for both boxes, which will include the HUI software. I think also it will only work with version 5.

I think that whatever happen, the Isis will be compatible with is contemporary version of the Software, means if the 5 is not available when the controller is, so it'll work with V4.

what is almost sure is you'll need to install a driver or an option to make it work.

cheers
Ed

Filmsat59

Re: Cost Effective Control Surfaces

Postby Filmsat59 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 15:43

Hi Avi. i was wondering if you are still using your Behringer BCF2000, we have the EMC software and i need to control a lot of faders but in banks, will the Behringer do this??
Thanks

Chris
Filmsat59.com
Pre and Post production Services
Bristol
UK