ASIO4all no go

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Mark Lemaire

ASIO4all no go

Postby Mark Lemaire » Tue Nov 20, 2018 01:52

Hi! I am using the current PMX version on a 2018 MacBook Pro running Bootcamp. I'd like to use the headphone output on the MacBook for basic monitoring, and have ASIO4all. Cannot get it to output anything- either MacBook's speakers or headphone jack. The driver seems to be working- all outputs assign appropriately, etc. The only thing missing is the audible part. I worked this with Dennis at Independent Audio (more experienced user than me), and he could not make it go either.

Does anyone have any hints? Barring that, another driver that might work? Just looking for a way to do some work 'on the plane'.
Mark Lemaire
RubatoRecording.com
Audiophile recording of your music. Anywhere. Anytime.

Thomas Grubb

Re: ASIO4all no go

Postby Thomas Grubb » Tue Nov 20, 2018 03:33

Hi Mark,

I have a 2015 MBP and headphones work on that. If you have them plugged in before starting Pyramix (you can check if they come up in Windows Sounds settings), you should get the option in the ASIO4All settings to enable the HD Audio Headphone. Then you can just select them as an output in the mixer.

Of course, something may have changed with the latest MBP, as Apple tend to do!

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb
manomusica.com
Melbourne

Mark Lemaire

Postby Mark Lemaire » Tue Nov 20, 2018 05:38

Thomas

Thanks for your reply. On this version of ASIO4ALL v2.14 on this new MBP, the terminology is a bit different: no "HD Audio Headphones" to choose. But it does seem straightforward:

Apple Audio Device
-->AAUDIO Wave Speaker Headphone (or one could choose AAUDIO Wave Speaker)
------> Out: 2X 48khz, 16bits
------> In: 2x 48khz, 16bits

So here's what I've discovered since you responded: Managed to make the headphones work with the computer- Windows settings--> system---> sound. I can select either speakers or phones- all good. It plays audio from Youtube (my test). PMX is not open at this point. ASIO4ALL is there in my Merging VS3 settings.

Now I boot up PMX.

the ASIO4ALL window is open, and I try assigning either the AAudio Wave Speaker, or the AAudio Wave headphones. No sound. Back in Windows settings, it's still set to headphones. But now the Youtube video will not play- the website says that 'something is wrong, try again later'. No sound, no playback. I can reboot the web portal, and youtube. Now the site plays a video, but no sound.

the only way to get sound (for youtube, anyway) is to quit PMX.

Sounds like an issue between windows 10 and ASIO4ALL, or win10, asio, and PMX?
Mark Lemaire

RubatoRecording.com

Thomas Grubb

Postby Thomas Grubb » Tue Nov 20, 2018 14:45

Hi Mark,

That’s probably a good sign that you’re not getting YouTube audio when you have PMX open because ASIO4All has control of the sound card, and only one application can use the ASIO interface at a time.

I’m not sure why you aren’t getting sound though. In the PMX mixer I have 4 outputs, two speaker and two headphone and both work. Mind you, all Windows builds are not created equal under Boot Camp - 1703 and 1803 haven’t been reliable at all, but 1607 works perfectly (much to my relief!)

Hope you get it sorted, and sorry I can’t offer you an answer.

Cheers,
Tom
Thomas Grubb

manomusica.com

Melbourne

fl

Postby fl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 15:36

Mark,

What is the sample rate of the audio you're trying to play? Higher than 48 kHz? If so, that could be the source of your problem.

There's a trick to getting ASIO4All to play higher sample rates, provided your computer's hardware supports them: you have to disable all of its Analog Inputs, which ASIO4All restricts to a maximum of 48k. Call the ASIO4All window from the Notification area of the Windows Task Bar, and In the window that opens, click on the icon that looks like a wrench to display the configuration page. In the WDM Device List, there is a square check-box for each Input and Output. Click on the one for Analog input to make it disappear. Once this is done, higher sample rates supported by your computer's sound hardware should become available. It's also a good idea to drag the ASIO Buffer Size slider all the way to the right to select the highest value of latency (in my case, 2048 samples). I find I do not have to adjust the settings for Latency Compensation (top right) or change the default setting of the Buffer Offset slider.

Even after this is done, ASIO4All will not switch to a second program's output while the first one launched is still running. That's a limitation of ASIO4All - other ASIO drivers permit this, like those from RME that I use.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Mark Lemaire

Postby Mark Lemaire » Tue Nov 20, 2018 17:45

Thanks to both of you!

Frank- I am just playing a 44.1 file. Still, I will read through your response carefully when I have the MBP open in front of me. There could be info in your note that will help lead me to the issue.

I note that both you and Thomas point out that I should expect ASIO4ALL to not function while some other PB system is on. AFAIK, I cannot 'disable' the MBP's usual speaker or phones to 'make way' for ASIO4ALL. I now expect it to disable Youtube as it attempts to play.
Mark Lemaire

RubatoRecording.com

fl

Postby fl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 17:59

Mark Lemaire wrote:I should expect ASIO4ALL to not function while some other PB system is on.

Not "system", but "application" or "program".

AFAIK, I cannot 'disable' the MBP's usual speaker or phones to 'make way' for ASIO4ALL.

That's not how it works. ASIO4All accesses the speakers or phones (via the audio driver), not the other way around.

I now expect it to disable Youtube as it attempts to play.

Not if your web browser (which, I expect, is the way you are accessing YouTube) is the only program running which can access the audio playback drivers. If it fails to play, then I would look to see if there is some other process running which grabs ASIO4All before your web browser has a chance to use it.

You should take a look at your Windows Device Manager to see if the internal audio driver is disabled or not functioning for some reason. Look for the brand name of your computer's audio hardware (Realtek, for example).
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Mark Lemaire

Postby Mark Lemaire » Wed Nov 21, 2018 01:58

Sadly, I have no joy on this. Spent a good 3 hours on it, uninstalling and reinstalling ASIO4ALL, windows and apple drivers, as well as checking Bootcamp drivers. Since this was of monitoring is just for convenience (when on a plane or at my inlaw's house for Thanksgiving weekend?) I don't consider it a deal-breaker. I will shop for an inexpensive USB-->headphone adapter that uses ASIO and use that.

If anyone knows of one of these, let me know!
Mark Lemaire

RubatoRecording.com

Gaston69

Postby Gaston69 » Sat May 04, 2019 04:22

I just discovered Voicemeeter, so now I can play back iTunes or any other audio from Windows via my Merging Horus. I am so Happy!!

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/