What do folks do for talkback over Ravenna?

Official discussion forum for the Merging range of networkable converters
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

What do folks do for talkback over Ravenna?

Postby jkurtz11 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 00:39

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I was wondering what folks do for talkback when using a Ravenna connection between the control room and stage. We do not have the option of running an analog line so our only link is through the Ravenna stream returning to the stage. We have a Horus on stage and a Hapi in the control room. Right now we run a talkback mic through an external a/d converter and into the Hapi in the control room via AES/EBU. Then we route that to an analog output of the Horus through Ravenna, then to our talkback speaker. This works ok but the one hitch is our external a/d converter must be at the same sample rate as the session for this to work. If we wanted to work at DXD we would not be able to do it because the external converter only goes up to 192. I don't want to buy an input card for the Hapi just so we can plug in a talkback mic to work at DXD. I have been investigating wifi walkie-talkie solutions but the latency is hard to deal with. Does anyone have any solutions to share?

Thanks,

Justin
jkurtz11

Re: What do folks do for talkback over Ravenna?

Postby fl » Tue Nov 06, 2018 16:39

How are you running the Ravenna/Ethernet connection between your Control Room and the Stage? Is it by any chance part of a house wiring system? I'm wondering if a second networked connection, just between talk-back mic and stage speaker could be arranged, that would free you of the necessity of running the talk-back at the same SR as the session proper.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.5/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.124
fl

Postby Bertram » Tue Nov 06, 2018 17:29

I'm running an IP phone over the same network. Using higher SR maybe the switch should be divided in two networks. Didn't try it until now, 44.1 and 48 kHz works very well.
Bertram

Postby ljudatervinning » Tue Nov 06, 2018 20:01

IP phone! I haven’t thought of that. Any specific model you can recommend?
I beleive you need line level output at both ends or use conference mic?
So in a middle of a session, you dial in a number and make the call!? :)

Another variant is to set up a separate Vlan and use simple Dante devices?
It would be neet to have a simple Ravenna device in both ends.
My experience is that talkback must be outside Pyramix.
Pyramix Native 11.0.6 / 11.1.5 / Ravenna ASIO 11.1.5
win10 Pro 1709 / Nvidia GTX 670, 3 monitors
win10 Pro 1803 / Lenovo P50, 4K
ljudatervinning

Postby Bertram » Tue Nov 06, 2018 21:03

I use Cisco SPA 301on both sides. You don't have dial, just pick up the telephone receiver and on the other side it is calling. I spend some days finding out how to set up the IP Phone. Maybe there could be conected a speaker to the phone on the studio end.
Bertram

Return to Merging AD/DA Converters Hardware