Peak meter level differences between systems

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Kees de Visser

Peak meter level differences between systems

Postby Kees de Visser » Thu Feb 23, 2017 19:20

We have recently received our backup Pyramix system so we can record live in parallel for safety.
With both mixing desks side to side we noticed that the numerical peak level values don't match (up to 2 dB difference, but quite random). Both Pyramix systems are linked to the same Ravenna inputs.
As far as we can tell all meter parameters are identical on both systems.
Since we rely on these peak values for live recording gain settings we'd like to know if this is a known issue and if there's a solution.
Any insight highly appreciated,
Kees

ps: the properties of the recorded files seem to match, so it's likely a mixing desk/meter related issue.

Kees de Visser

Re: Peak meter level differences between systems

Postby Kees de Visser » Fri Apr 13, 2018 18:36

Hi,
We finally were able to reproduce the problem.
It happens when a mixing desk setup is copied from one pc to the other.
It turns out that they were slightly different Pyramix versions: 10.0.5 RC1 Build 28606 and 10.1.4 HotFix Build 31117.
This is probably an old and obsolete issue, with all development going into version 11. I just wanted to post the details, in case anyone encounters this problem.

Cheers,
Kees

fl

Postby fl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 18:41

Which meters were exhibiting the differences? The Meter Bridge? The VS3 VU Meter plug-in? The meters on the Mixer?
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Kees de Visser

Postby Kees de Visser » Fri Apr 13, 2018 18:56

The meters on the mixer, next to the faders.
I didn't check the meter bridge but could do that if anyone is (still) interested.

fl

Postby fl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 19:24

In that case, maybe the difference wasn't in the version of Pyramix, but rather the Mixer display settings, particularly its Meter display settings, in the Main Settings.

Could the two systems have had different settings? Or did you think of this already?
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809

Kees de Visser

Postby Kees de Visser » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:46

IIRC we checked that a year ago and the settings looked identical.
BTW, are the numerical peak values influenced by the settings ? I thought they were related to ballistics only.

fl

Postby fl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 18:05

Well, there are settings for Headroom, and reference level (Alignment), which might influence the displayed peak value. Possibly the Peak Level delay setting or the Peak and Overload Hold time could as well. I don't believe I've seen any mention of the Mixer's metering mentioned in the various Release Notes for the past few versions, but I could be mistaken.

Edit Later: I'm finding that in version 11, the Settings > Mixer > Level Meter settings are not retained from one Pyramix start to another - they revert to a default. Perhaps this is new behaviour, or perhaps there's a way of changing the Default setting, of which I am unaware.
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6