Relatively new to PMX- having mixer snapshot problems

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
fifthcircle

Relatively new to PMX- having mixer snapshot problems

Postby fifthcircle » Tue Dec 19, 2017 03:56

I've been on PMX 11.0 for a couple months now. I am working in a university's studio and we've got a room based on a Horus/PMX11 Native. Built on a MacPro that has been bootcamped (and yes, I'd prefer a purpose built system, but in this case, that wasn't going to happen as we need to share a UAD2 satellite between the PC and a Mac based Pro tools system. My background before this was roughly 20 years of Sequoia use.

Anyways, I'm working on a classical project where I have some pretty heavily edited sessions that are now ready for a mix. I've spit the album into one session for each major work on the disc. As all the piece are of the exact same instrumentation and mic setup, I'd like to copy my mixes across each session. There are a combination of VS3 plugins (EQ, delay and such) and some VST plugins (from our UAD2). The sessions are all 96KHz and a pretty modest track count (3 stereo, 2 mono, and a aux that's heading out of the system into a Bricasti).

When I set up a library of the mixer, however, I'm having issues with the file that is saved. It's saving the VST plugins, fader levels, etc... but none of the VS3 plugins.

Any idea why this would be happening and what I can do to avoid it happening again in the future?

Thanks

--Ben

Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Staff engineer, UCLA
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

fl

Re: Relatively new to PMX- having mixer snapshot problems

Postby fl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 16:53

I'm afraid I don't have much experience using the Libraries in Pyramix, but here are a couple of work-arounds (works-around?) you can use until someone more knowledgeable replies.

Method 1:
With an open project containing the Mixer you wish to copy for the other projects, right-click on the Mixer. In the pop-up, go to Memory > Save. The resulting saving location window which opens should be targeting the folder containing the open Project. Change this if you wish. Save the Mixer state with a suitable name, with the file extension ".vs3".

Then open one of the other projects where you wish to apply this Mixer, right-click on that mixer > Memory > Load, and if necessary, navigate to the location you used previously for saving the .vs3 file. Load it, and you should have everything, including all the VS3 plug-ins.

(I use this method to configure the Backup Recorder Mixer (which determines the number of channels recorded by the B.R.), so that it matches the main Project mixer when I set-up a Recording Project. Of course, in this case I want to remove all the plug-ins to reduce the load on my CPU, so I do that manually. I'll have to try the Library method...)

Method 2:
With the Project open from which you wish to copy the Mixer, go to the main Project menu and enable "Share Mixing Console". Keeping that project open, open one of the others to which you wish to incorporate this mixer - it will open with the same mixer (as it's "shared"). Save this project. You'll get a warning dialog informing you that saving the project like this will overwrite the project's original mixer with the "shared" one, but that's exactly what you wish to do, so go ahead, and then close it. Do this for as many different projects as you'd like. When you're finished, go back to the original Project from which you sourced the Sharing, and disable Mixer Sharing via the Project Menu once again. When you re-open each of the other Projects, you'll find that they have the new mixer, complete with all plug-ins.

For what it's worth, I tried Shift-Alt Dragging a Mixer to my Library Tab in an old project, and encountered the same issue: applying the Mixer thus saved resulted in one missing all the VS3 plug-ins, so this appears to be a bug in the program. Or maybe a feature...

For what it's worth, I've been using Pyramix Native on Bootcamped Macs for twelve years, and provided I optimize Windows properly for audio production use, it's been rock solid.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

fifthcircle

Re: Relatively new to PMX- having mixer snapshot problems

Postby fifthcircle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 05:20

Thanks. The save settings worked great for me.

-Ben
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Staff engineer, UCLA
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com