Horus/hapi with fiber connection

Official discussion forum for the Merging range of networkable converters
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Masato.Y

Horus/hapi with fiber connection

Postby Masato.Y » Mon Aug 07, 2017 03:40

Does anyone have any experience using horus/hapi with fiber connection ?
In that case, what do you use as media converters ?
In the knowledge base page Merging team recommends to use "better Copper to Optical (Ethernet to Fiber) adapters" .
Do you know what are the right conditions of "better" ?

Thanks,

Masato.Y

mpdonahue

Re: Horus/hapi with fiber connection

Postby mpdonahue » Tue Aug 08, 2017 17:24

I don't know what constitutes "better" but we've always used the "Transition Networks" transceivers. We have both 1000 BaseTX to single mode and multimode fiber on SC connectors.
The real question is how far do you need to go? We use standard CAT6 up to 300' without issue. The real trick here is doing proper gigabit terminations on the cables.
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

Masato.Y

Postby Masato.Y » Wed Aug 09, 2017 09:55

Mark,
Thank you for your useful tips!

We need 150m(492ft) to 200m(656ft) from venue to OB truck parked outside the venue.
We regularly use analog multi channel audio cable, but sometimes, the length is less than 100m, we use horus and CAT5e/6 cable.

Thanks again,

Masato.Y

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 21:10

Masato, I think the Dell Cisco SG300 switch has a fiber port and there is a Ravenna config file available for it.

Masato.Y

Postby Masato.Y » Mon Aug 14, 2017 03:06

Klaukholm,

Thank you for your information.
We are now using Dell 2808 switches.
Which do you think is better to replace it with SG300 or to add Ethernet to fiber adapters?

Thanks,

Masato.Y

Nistov

Postby Nistov » Mon Aug 14, 2017 19:54

I have used the TP-Link Gigabit Multi-Mode Converter series with no problems (150 meters of multi mode fiber terminated on SC-connectors). They have both multi and single mode versions available (with SC connectors) as well as a SFP-version if you prefer that.

Nistov

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Thu Aug 17, 2017 23:58

One last thought...
For runs over 300', there is no issue adding a switch hop in the middle somewhere. This functionally doubles the length limit of the system.
The next thing we need is to get merging to qualify some 10 GBE NIC's. Right now the limit to high track count DXD sessions is the 1GBE cards.
All the best,
-mark

Mark Donahue

Soundmirror, Inc.

Boston, MA

mark@soundmirror.com

www.soundmirror.com

Masato.Y

Postby Masato.Y » Fri Aug 18, 2017 02:13

Nistov, and all,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.
I'm glad to Know actual use cases and your thoughts.

I have one more question. When you lay fiber cables how do you protect sc connectors?

Best,

Masato.Y

Julian Gough

Postby Julian Gough » Sat Aug 19, 2017 22:31

Masato.Y wrote:Nistov, and all,

I have one more question. When you lay fiber cables how do you protect sc connectors?

Those little end caps are the first line of defence but I find they ALWAYS get lost. Don't worry about that. You can buy fibre end cleaners but they cost a lot when a bit of water and a clean cloth works fine. Fibre is glass, so fresh clean water can deal with all but the worst dirt, just remember to dry the end.

Protecting the plastic square ends of the SC connector is a problem as they break if trodden on. The most effective way of protecting the ends I have seen is a length of garden hose pipe taped onto the last metre of the cable. If your SC connectors are joined together you might have to find a larger diameter pipe

Try and use "deployable" cable as they are armoured and have some strength, I've known cables chewed by animals such as rats and foxes in the hours of darkness. Don't pull a fibre cable by the connectors. Use the hose pipe. Don't put any knots in the cable as a tight turn could break the glass. mono or single mode fibre is more delicate as it is thinner than multi mode.

I know I've said more than you asked but if there is anyone else reading this who is thinking of using fibre to run to their stage boxes, it is great stuff, but you do have to treat it with respect.

Best,

Julian

Masato.Y

Postby Masato.Y » Wed Aug 23, 2017 03:23

Julian,

Thank you for providing detailed information.
I can Imagine the actual situation.

Thanks again,

Masayo.Y

ferenc

Postby ferenc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 18:06

I am using TP-Link MC210 single mode SC gigabit ethernet media converter. Works flawlessly with Hapi. It is really affordable.