Reordering Track Groups in Timeline

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
DJS

Reordering Track Groups in Timeline

Postby DJS » Thu Nov 17, 2016 23:49

I want to re-order track groups in the timeline, particularly in SD projects. I have many Source track groups and one Destination group. To change the vertical order of these around, one should be able to simply go to the Track Groups tab and drag and drop them to re-position. This does not work. One has to go to the tracks tab and multi-select the tracks and then move them around. Very cumbersome with lots of tracks in each track group.

Can we have drag and drop re-order on track groups? This would be very handy.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

charlienyc

Re: Reordering Track Groups in Timeline

Postby charlienyc » Fri Nov 18, 2016 01:41

+1
MassCore v14.0.5 Win10/64 i9-10900 & i9-11900K, Avid S3
3x Horus = 80 In/24 Out @PCM
Native V14 Win10/64 i7-12700K miniDSP UDIO-8, Avid S1 & nob controller
Native V14 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi

a.stinson

Postby a.stinson » Sat Nov 19, 2016 01:29

+1 yes please

mjbennett

Postby mjbennett » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:29

This would be excellent

avi

Postby avi » Fri Jan 20, 2017 02:26

For the work I do, I'd agree - a small thing but a useful one.
However, might it pose a problem for others?
For those of us who might have two or three 'blocks' of tracks, particularly in an S/D environment, and want to shunt them around easily, fine. But what about folk who may group and re-group tracks here and there during a project? How do you handle groups which are 'nested' inside other groups?

Minor issue: You define your groups, and create a bunch of tracks (or vice versa). Now you go to the Tracks tab and start to allocate a group for each track, set of tracks, etc.. While you re doing this, do tracks start to jump around to reflect the hierarchy of Track Groups from the Track Groups tab? At what stage is that track group order first defined, before it comes to the convenient moving-around part?

I suppose you could maintain both a 'new' and 'current' scenario with an option "Force Track Group Order", but that's just making PMX more user-definable and complicated than it is already...
Alexander Van Ingen
Six Music Productions
www.sixmp.co.uk

NikolaiGabriel

Postby NikolaiGabriel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 22:07

+1
All the best
Nikolai Gabriel
Pyramix Masscore
Windows 10 Pro 1903
ASRock Z370m, Intel i7 8700K, 16GB RAM, Nivida GT 1030.
Horus and Hapi - 3.9.7

DJS

Postby DJS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 00:43

avi wrote:For those of us who might have two or three 'blocks' of tracks, particularly in an S/D environment, and want to shunt them around easily, fine.

Is there any other purpose for grouping tracks?
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

avi

Postby avi » Fri Aug 23, 2019 14:26

Hi David - I can't remember what I was blathering on about in 2017, sorry...
    (Might have been related to seeing colleagues use groups differently - e.g. say you are recording, you might have a 'multitrack' group, a '5.1' group and a 'stereo mix' group. Makes it easier to render out a set of 5.1 or stereo WAVs for a client without having to un-group/re-group a huge MT set. There may be better ways to do this on v12, but back in 2017 many of us were still on v7 or so... All this is entirely different to using groups for S/D editing of course.)
    Alexander Van Ingen

Six Music Productions

www.sixmp.co.uk