Controllers and the new Pyramix X Pan Pot...

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
ckalcov

Controllers and the new Pyramix X Pan Pot...

Postby ckalcov » Thu Jul 14, 2016 17:46

Hi all,

I'm using an SSL Nucleus with Pyramix via HUI, and have noticed that the pan control mapping has now been moved to the new style pan pot in X. It doesn't work when using the legacy panner in all my previous projects, and I prefer to use the legacy panner for new ones too. Is there any workaround, or a fix on the horizon? Or will I have to use the new style 3D panner from now on?

I have also noticed a bug in the new panner with stereo strips - when switching to dual pan mode the readout display only shows the value for the top (left channel) panner and not the bottom (right channel) - so you have to guess!

Many thanks

mpdonahue

Re: Controllers and the new Pyramix X Pan Pot...

Postby mpdonahue » Thu Jul 14, 2016 18:56

I've found that you can not mix legacy and general mixing buses. All Legacy seems to work fine here with Tango.
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

fl

Postby fl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 19:13

ckalcov wrote:I have also noticed a bug in the new panner with stereo strips - when switching to dual pan mode the readout display only shows the value for the top (left channel) panner and not the bottom (right channel) - so you have to guess!

Hmm, both show up here on my Native version running under Win7 Pro. Are you running multiple monitors, or does your system have some kind of specialized graphics display hardware?

Make sure you "Set Panner Type" to "Pan/Balance" and not "Surround" or "3D", and then try cycling through the three "Dual Source" Modes, "Single Pan", "Balance" and finishing up with "Dual Pan".

Alternately, try cycling the Collapse/Expand control for the Panning (second or third little + or - box from the top on the right side of the Mixer), a couple of times. Maybe the second Pan control will appear...

At the very least, are you able to access the pan positioning via the full Pan Display Window (View Menu > Windows/Tools > Surround Panner)? If that works, at least you won't have to guess about the right channel. As I like the ability to actually type in a pan value, I've found it useful to have quick access to the full Panning control window, so I've enabled the Button for it (Settings > Application > Desktop Layout), to have it available in one of my Toolbars at the top of the screen. Whenever I first instantiate a Dual Panner, it comes up with both channels centre panned, so if I need anything other than hard left and right, I find it's easiest to just go to the fully detailed display.

As far as being able to control "Legacy" Panning through your Nucleus controller, can you control anything (Fader level, Aux. Sends or Plug-in controls) when running a Project with Legacy Busses and Strips?

My guess is that you're most likely going to have to get used to the new "General Mixing Bus" mixer, if you wish to continue using your controller. Yeah, I like the look and feel of the Legacy controls - the new Panning controls are a little too stark looking for my taste, but they do indeed work.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.5
Win7 Pro SP1 64
Bootcamp 5.1.5621
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.125

ckalcov

Postby ckalcov » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:29

Thanks all - I found the solution. Pyramix X is keen for you to use the Pan bus, which immediately gets priority over that controller number when the mixer is set up with it in use (ie. Via every new Template and by default). What I ended up having to do was to remove the mixer components and rebuild from scratch without using the Wizard, taking care to only use legacy buses (auxes are fine). I built a variety of configurations and saved them as new templates, and voila! Controllers properly mapped, with aux send control and all.

Regarding the dual panner display issue, this seems to have been fixed in the new 10.1.2 now, so all's well.

Thanks again