Playback stalls with Pyramix Native - SOLVED

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
ggrossmann

Playback stalls with Pyramix Native - SOLVED

Postby ggrossmann » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:58

Hello everyone,

I ask for your help as I run into considerable trouble with my recently upgraded Pyramix.

I used to work with Pyramix V5 on Windows XP until recently, but the old PC died and as all my other PCs run Windows 7 64bit, I decided to get the latest matching Pyramix edition 10.0.0.6 Native.

Unfortunately I get playback stalls pretty much as soon as I hit play on any given session, be it 8-tracks or just an empty session right after setting it up. This happens on a standalone PC (AMD Quad-Core CPU, 4GB RAM, ASIO4All on internal Realtek chip or Roland QuadCapture USB interface, audio data on a separate internal SATA-hdd) and on a bootcamped MacBook Pro (A1211).

What is really bothering me is that I cannot get it work on the Mac, as the exact same Mac (even though it is oldish) ran Pyramix V5 just fine with Windows XP via Bootcamp.

Do any of you have any suggestions for me? I feel like I am running out of options and settings to check and I should finish an editing project within the week...

Help is much appreciated!

Best,
Guido
Last edited by ggrossmann on Fri Jan 22, 2016 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

fl

Re: Playback stalls with Pyramix Native 10.0.0.6, Win 7 64bi

Postby fl » Fri Jan 22, 2016 15:21

Which "oldish" Mac? Are you certain that it is a machine for which a 64 bit installation of Win7 is supported?
Which version of Bootcamp?
Have you followed all the instructions found in the Pyramix Installation Guide?
What about those steps outlined in Merging's "Windows Configuration Guide", a PDF available from support@merging.com?
Is it possible that either Pyramix, or your audio interface, is/are looking for an external clock source, rather than internal?

On the AMD machine, there can be an issue with ASIO4All, in that the maximum input sample rate supported by the Realtek hardware is 48 kHz., which in turn limits the output SR. In the ASIO4All configuration, disabling all the Inputs allows the outputs to operate at higher sample rates. While you're at it, max out ASIO4All's latency.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

ggrossmann

Re: Playback stalls with Pyramix Native 10.0.0.6, Win 7 64bi

Postby ggrossmann » Fri Jan 22, 2016 15:57

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your reply.
Regarding ASIO4All: I followed your excellent guidelines when setting it up, so inputs are already disabled and all latency settings maxed.

My Macbook is officially only supported to run the 32-edition of Win7, but 64-bit installation worked just fine (some hickups along the way, of course) and the driver package that came with Bootcamp 4.0.4033 installed successfully. All devices are working flawlessly, except the ATI X1600 mobility, which I had to use a modded driver for (based on Catalyst 10.2).

I believe I followed all the instructions in the Install and Windows Config Guide. If you feel there is anything specific I should take a second look at, please let me know.

I did also check the DPC latency with Thesycon and it is all green on both systems, even during the playback stalls! I really cannot make any sense of it.

My audio files are only 24-bit / 48kHz (I also converted the to 44,1kHz to see if that makes any difference - it didn't), and sometimes Pyramix will play them for a minute or so, and then it stalls again and won't recover.

ggrossmann

Re: Playback stalls with Pyramix Native - SOLVED

Postby ggrossmann » Fri Jan 22, 2016 20:23

I thought I should let you know that I found the solution:

The buffer sizes on my ASIO-driver were actually too high (!), reducing them to 512 gave me stable playback so far.

Thanks for your help anyway,
Guido

aomahana

Postby aomahana » Sat Jan 23, 2016 09:22

Hey Guido,

Thank you for that.
I had been having a similar problem. I have been using Pyramix for many years.
When I upgraded from V9.1 to V10 it wouldn't start because of playback stalls.
V9 worked fine. Also other software including Protools 12.4.
My computer is a Core 2 with WD enterprise drives and 8G Ram.
I wondered if with PMX V10 integration of video and the other changes PMX had become more demanding.
No one else seemed to be having issues, so I emailed Merging support.
They suggested I clean off the install with the cleanup tool, and do a new clean install.
I tried this .... no change.
I had started building a new i7 computer for the integration of Video into my studio, so I moved forward with completing that to see if the processor was the problem. In the meantime, I tested SSD drives to see if that would help .... still playback stalls.
Next, I was about to check whether my PCI Lynx2 was the issue, either because of the drivers, or the use of the PCI bus, by installing an alternate PCIe Sound Card.

But, what a relief. After reading your letter, reducing the buffer has made Pyramix work again.
Whew, I have been so looking forward to trying the new features.
And like you I have current projects demanding attention.
I was about to revert to V9.1.

So, thank you again ....

All the best,
aomahana.

aomahana

Postby aomahana » Wed Jan 27, 2016 19:41

aomahana wrote:Hey Guido,

Thank you for that.
I had been having a similar problem. I have been using Pyramix for many years.
When I upgraded from V9.1 to V10 it wouldn't start because of playback stalls.
V9 worked fine. Also other software including Protools 12.4.
My computer is a Core 2 with WD enterprise drives and 8G Ram.
I wondered if with PMX V10 integration of video and the other changes PMX had become more demanding.
No one else seemed to be having issues, so I emailed Merging support.
They suggested I clean off the install with the cleanup tool, and do a new clean install.
I tried this .... no change.
I had started building a new i7 computer for the integration of Video into my studio, so I moved forward with completing that to see if the processor was the problem. In the meantime, I tested SSD drives to see if that would help .... still playback stalls.
Next, I was about to check whether my PCI Lynx2 was the issue, either because of the drivers, or the use of the PCI bus, by installing an alternate PCIe Sound Card.

After reading your letter, reducing the buffer has made Pyramix work again.
I have been looking forward to trying the new features.
And like you I have current projects demanding attention.
I was about to revert to V9.1.

So, thank you again ....

All the best,
aomahana.

And a quick update for anyone who might read this ....

I implemented my new i7 computer.
PMX 10 is working.
However, if a second Project is opened it will not always start.
And returning to the original Project, that also will fail.
If Pyramix is closed and re started, the Project, either the original, or another, will work with no problems.

So I tried V10 with my current Core 2 computer, and sure enough, all is well .... except if you open another Project, sometimes this will cause Pyramix to stop.

The solution is to select .....

Settings / All Settings / Hardware / Formats & Sync / Audio synchronisation
Select correct sampling rate for the project.
Master Sync / select sound card
Control Panel / select Buffer Size
In my case I am selecting 512.
Apply changes to Formats Sync / OK

Close Pyramix, and then you can re-open and start.
This needs to be done for each Project.

aomahana.