Special Symbols in CD Text

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Zanulite

Special Symbols in CD Text

Postby Zanulite » Mon Jul 13, 2015 19:29

Hi there,

Was wondering if someone is able to put special symbols in the CD text and have it come up the same after CD image has been generated.

For example name Michèle comes up with wrong symbol. Also TOC does not display sometimes full length of the pieces. Is there a limitation for symbol counts?
Same thing with " ' " symbols. Summer's comes up wrong...

Other question entering text in different language - for examples Russian. TOC saves is all as question marks.

Any advice is welcome. If it all does not work I will just enter all in English.

Thanks!

Pyramix 7.2
Zana Corbett
Freelance Audio Engineer
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

phaseboy

Re: Special Symbols in CD Text

Postby phaseboy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 00:11

Hi Zana,

Others on here may have more details - it's been a while since I've had to delve deeply into this.

CD-Text is encoded as ISO/IEC 8859-1. So a good starting point would be to check what characters are supported there, and then make sure to enter the characters according to this standard.

Regards,

Mark
Mark S. Willsher
http://www.pin3hot.com

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Tue Jul 14, 2015 06:06

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11099&p=34490&hilit=ISO%2A#p34490

...offers a tool that will translate 'whatever' to any of several character sets, including ISO-8859-1.

The original problem usually arises from cutting and pasting text that isn't in the proper format for CD-Text. If you want to wear a belt *and* suspenders, use ISO-646 (the original CD-Text char set.)

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Zanulite

Postby Zanulite » Tue Jul 14, 2015 07:10

Thanks so much!
Yes, my encoding was set to the one Mark mentioned, still did not show up correctly. But with this website conversion- all seems to work at least for apostrophes.

Thank you guys!
Zana
Zana Corbett
Freelance Audio Engineer
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Mon Aug 17, 2015 18:56

I insist that clients at send me a text file of some sort containing CD-Text information. I've written an Applescript that simplifies most extended characters to something simple that fits the limited character set. Even that fails to catch everything, so I run another script to detect those characters that fall outside ISO 8859 so I can come up with an appropriate substitution.

And even that script hangs, as I've now encountered some two byte characters that my script doesn't know how to handle. But I'm finding nearly all the problem characters before entering them into Pyramix.

I still get caught when I have what appears to be a very simple title and don't bother to run it through the script not realizing there are printer's quotation marks, and not the basic quote marks in ISO 8859.