Who uses Auto-Crossfade and how does it work for you?

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Johan_Wadsten

Who uses Auto-Crossfade and how does it work for you?

Postby Johan_Wadsten » Mon Apr 27, 2015 16:26

Hi all

this is the first of a few posts ill be making on here:-)

I wanted to find out a bit about how you all use the Auto-crossfade feature and if/where it does not quiet do what you would like it to do. Should we keep it? If so, what does it need in order to make 100% sense.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Johan Wadsten
Product Manager - Pyramix

fl

Re: Who uses Auto-Crossfade and how does it work for you?

Postby fl » Mon Apr 27, 2015 17:27

Which one? The one way down near the bottom of the main window's Edit menu, or the one in the Settings > Project > Record window, under Post-processing?

I use the former all the time, especially when doing S-D editing, to put my "Default" crossfade length and shape (as determined in the Crossfade Editor) at the join of each new edit. I don't do much punching-in, so the latter doesn't see much use here.

While we're at it, what's the deal with X-ify in the Crossfade Editor? Where are its characteristics determined? Why isn't it the Default Crossfade?
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

J.Wajer

Postby J.Wajer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:04

Default crossfade? Like in CTRL-F11? As you are hopefully well aware, 100% of the delivered material in Post comes in either AAF or OMF flavour. Nowadays the new generation editors is not so much concerned about crossing and zero transitions, so the AAF's tick at each cut. Thank god for CTRL-F11! Auto Crossfades gets me through the EDL almost every day.

If you delete this feature, your audio post production userbase will for sure go: "Why???????"

Why would you want to delete this?
...Gracefully Ignored...

Johan_Wadsten

Postby Johan_Wadsten » Wed Apr 29, 2015 14:04

hi Jaap

not talking about Set Default Crossfade! i am a post guys as well and use this for exactly the same stuff you do.

I am talk about Edit>Auto-Crossfade. This essentially works the timeline as though you had CTRL held down always. so if you push clips together, then you automatically get an xfade.

more of a muso thing. but just wanted to check and see if it works well for everyone or if it could use a tweak:-)

Johan.

Johan_Wadsten

Postby Johan_Wadsten » Wed Apr 29, 2015 17:03

Hi Frank

Out of curiosity, do you use the auto-crossfade in other instances, or is it only when compiling your sources into the destination?

if it is only for the compile process, do you turn it off once you start to adjust edits in the destination then? as if you kept it on, it would simply extend or contract the crossfade when you started shifting clips.

thanks again for the thoughts!
johan.

fl

Postby fl » Wed Apr 29, 2015 20:03

Johan_Wadsten wrote:I am talk about Edit>Auto-Crossfade. This essentially works the timeline as though you had CTRL held down always. so if you push clips together, then you automatically get an xfade.

Oh.
That one.

By my count, that makes three places where the term "Auto-Crossfade" is used - as if there isn't ample opportunity for confusion when discussing Pyramix in written text. I think you know my first suggestion already...

Johan_Wadsten wrote:Out of curiosity, do you use the auto-crossfade in other instances, or is it only when compiling your sources into the destination?

The one I was talking about is the one in the main window's Edit menu. I leave it on all the time, for the most part.

The one in the Settings > Project > Record window is usually left on, not that I do much punching-in, but maybe it has some other effect???

The one in the Settings > Application > Editing window never gets turned on. Because of the "stretchy" quality of the crossfade which occurs when overlapping two clips, it just feels more natural to me to be using both hands for the operation - one pressing the CTRL key, the other working the mouse (says that I really mean it).

And, oh yes, the Crossfade Editor's "X-ify". Where do the duration and shape characteristics of this operation get set? The great thing about it is that it shifts the relative positions of the two clips so that there is sufficient overlap to accommodate the crossfade even in those cases where there was none originally. Applying the Default Crossfade when you have two master Clips butted up to each other with insufficient overlap results in fades offset in time, which are not linked to each other. When this happens, there is foul language used while the operation is undone, the clips shifted manually and then the whole thing repeated. "X-ify" is great, and would be even better if there were some way to change it from the 10 ms., Cosign crossfade I get now.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Johan_Wadsten

Postby Johan_Wadsten » Wed Apr 29, 2015 20:38

HI Frank

thanks for the input.

already have a mail from you about the various auto-crossfade terminology usages and they are in my notes as we discussed:-)

Silas

Postby Silas » Wed Apr 29, 2015 20:56

Hi Johan,

Thanks for asking. I usually have this on and never toggle it. IF this is what creates crossfades when I am editing Source-Destination (not sure myself if this is what creates them or not) then it is vital to us classical editors IMO. This means some of the thousands of edits will not need to be touched or minimally moved for them to work saving us time.

Best Wishes,
Silas
Silas Brown
Legacy Sound
MassCore #1 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i7-8700k, 32 gig Ram, Pyramix V11.1
MassCore #2 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, QuadCore, 16 gig, Pyramix V9
Native - Lenovo Laptop, Windows 7 64-bit, i7, 8 gig, Pyramix V10