Horus frontend & RME MADIfaceXT Backend

Forum to discuss your Pyramix systems, motherboards, RAID arrays, graphic cards, laptops, etc..
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Gaston69

Horus frontend & RME MADIfaceXT Backend

Postby Gaston69 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 21:22

To All,

I received last Friday my Horus which is currently furnished with a 8ch AD card and I had already a RME MadifaceXT which I would like to use for monitoring purposes, so far I understood that the Horus will be controlled via Ravenna and send signals via MADI to the RME card. However how do I set this up in such a way that it is easy and can I control the preamps of the Horus via Protools protocol etc etc?

I am totally new to Ravenna so any input from your side will be appreciated.

Regards,

Gaston

johanneso

Re: Horus frontend & RME MADIfaceXT Backend

Postby johanneso » Wed Apr 01, 2015 15:54

Dear Gaston,
If you just use Ravenna for control purposes you just set Pro Tools to use the MADIFace (of course).
Connect an ethernet cable between computer and Horus to establish the Ravenna network and control link. Install the proper drivers, even if you don't want to use them right now. The MTDiscory application makes it easy to find and access the Horus; double click it and it'll open in your web browser.
Go to the module routing pages, where you can set the MADI slots (eight of them, eight channels each) to get their signals from whichever source you like – probably your AD 1 card. Most logical is of course to use MADI 1-1 (port one, first block of channels) and have it get its signal from AD 1.
What you need to do to control Horus from Pro Tools is you need to do the following:
1. Update firmware to the latest version.
2. Open Mac Audio/MIDI Settings. Double click Network.
3. In the My Sessions section (top left) click on the + sign to add a new entry.
4. In the Session section (right) rename the entry in the Local name: field to HorusPre.
5. In the Directory section (bottom left) select the Horus_80xxx_midi_pre module entry to add it to the Participants list.
6. At the top of the Session section check the Enabled box to enable the session.
7. Close the MIDI Network Setup panel.
8. Launch Pro Tools and open Pro Tools Peripherals Settings.
9. In the Peripherals panel select the Mic Preamps tab and select in order: Pre, NtwrHP and Send to pre- defined>network, HorusPre>Channel-1
Note: For the first AD module Receive From > Channel 1 and Send To Channel 1 must be set. For the second module, Channel 2 and so on.
10. Close Peripherals and Open the pro Tools I/O Setup panel.
11. In the Mic Preamps tab enable the Horus PRE #1 by checking the box to the right of the entry.
12. Click on OK and close the I/O Setup panel. The Horus preamp controls will be available within Pro Tools when the Horus Preamps are connected to the Pro Tools Mixer Strip Inputs.

Note that I haven't actually tested this; to use Pro Tools with another sound card but keep the preamp control. It might or might not work.

Gaston69

Postby Gaston69 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:53

Hello Johannes,

First of all thanks for the support, I have been very busy lately so I have not done anything in respect to recording however next week I will have a gig so I will try if I get it to work.

Cheers

Gaston

Gaston69

Postby Gaston69 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:04

Hello Johannes,

I followed carefully your instructions and can confirm that everything worked well. I was able to control the Horus from within Pro Tools and received audio signals via Madi to the MadifaceXT.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Gaston