Which ASIO interface do you use ?

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
drfred01054

Re: Which ASIO interface do you use ?

Postby drfred01054 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 15:31

I guess I should weigh in here. I have separate converters and ASIO hardware, first of all. My converters are in my Crane Song Spider Mixer (8 channels, up to 192kHz), and in my Black Lion Audio-modified Genex GX-A8/D8 system (8 more channels, same sample rates, plus first generation DSD). I use RME PCIe cards in my two systems, which can also link together, using the same RME ASIO driver. In the studio system, located in a BootCamped multi-core Xeon Mac Pro running W7/64 (for six months now, thanks to Pyramix 7.1), I have the RME HDSPe AES card, which can take 16 channels in and out--i.e., both my converter sets, sync'd via a Big Ben.

For the portable system, which runs on a Dell laptop, I use its CardBus interface connected to a Magma expansion chassis, which houses another RME PCIe card, the HDSPe AIO which, with its analog expansion daughter cards, gives plenty of i/o for remote sessions, as the Crane Song can also output 96kHz via S/MUX over Toslink. There is no FireWire for audio on either setup; the Dell has eSATA for the hard disk, and CardBus/PCIe for the interface! And since the ASIO card set is in the Magma chassis, I can also link it with the other RME ASIO card in the Mac Pro (using a Magma PCIe interface for the chassis, instead of CardBus), and have the benefit of both PCIe cards running at once (with two RME mixer windows!) when I need more than 16 inputs in the studio.

I hope this answers the question.

"Dr. Fred"

dcr

Postby dcr » Sun Dec 23, 2012 23:04

I was looking at the Benchmark DAC1 -USB and found this about drivers on their website. Is ASIO required? They say it is a native device not needing a driver.

The DAC1 USB is natively compatible with Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 and Mac OS X. As a native device, there are no drivers or other invasive software required to install or configure. The DAC1 USB is a true plug-and-play DAC USB, and is designed to begin playback immediately after the unit is connected to a USB port for the first time.

Unlike previous native USB audio interfaces, Benchmark's AdvancedUSB Audio technology supports 24-bit audio at sample-rates up to 96 kHz. It is very important to have a 24-bit USB path, even for 16-bit playback, because certain computer-related functions can increase 16-bit audio to 24 bits. If a 16-bit USB DAC is used, 8 bits of every digital audio sample would be truncated. Truncating digital audio causes severe, non-musical digital distortion. Benchmark's AdvancedUSB interface ensures a full 24-bit digital audio path to avoid truncation distortion.

patrass

Postby patrass » Mon Jan 07, 2013 01:16

i use digigram lx6464es whith 3ms of latency
64 track 48khz
on winxp sp3
i7 2600k
p8z68m pro
4gb ddr3
120G ocz ssd (system)
240G ocz ssd (data)

johndsadams

Postby johndsadams » Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:50

Thought I'd just chime in to let you know of an ASIO interface I just started using...
I just installed a ProTools HD native card in my MacPro and am now running Pyramix on the Bootcamp partition with Windows 7 64bit with the Avid ASIO drive with success!
-John
John D.S. Adams
Stonehouse Sound
http://www.stonehousesound.com

tas

Postby tas » Wed Nov 20, 2013 09:43

RME MadiFX on a bootcamped mac works fine

gazon

Postby gazon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 17:45

Hallo
is anyone using RME Madiface usb
and get it working ?

Gazon

SoundKlang

Postby SoundKlang » Sun Jan 12, 2014 20:56

RME Hammerfall HDSPe AIO in conjunction with a HDSPe rayDAT. No problems so far. S/R changes are most safe between closing and restarting Pyramix. Also RME's addon "DigiCheck" can lock the samplerate (needs to be closed before S/R change, too). Minimum latency depends on Motherboard and it's configuration.

ARS

Postby ARS » Wed Dec 03, 2014 18:43

I am using RME madiface on a laptop (the expresscard version) without problems.
I am also using SSL Soundscape Mixpander9 on an older PC, and a MX4 on a Windows 7 64 bit PC.
Both work without any problems.

The MX 4 gives me 128io on two madi ports, at lower latencies.
I haven't been able yet to get the secondary asio to work without plenty of glitches.

Rob

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 31, 2015 19:02

For 2-channel editing/mixing sessions where I don't want to put hours on my Horus I use the iFi Micro iDSD USB i'face. It will handle sample rates to PCM768 and native DSD512. It is really quite good for it's low price. I like it better than my old Benchmark DAC 1 HDR. And it doubles as a portable DAC/headamp when connected to a tablet or smartphone running a music player app.

What I would like to do now, if possible, is to use PMX v9 with two ASIO devices for recording jobs where my Horus is close to the stage but my computer and I are some distance away. This would allow me to confidence monitor through the second ASIO device, which might be my computer built-in sound or the Micro iDSD. Has anyone tried this?
- rob
Pyramix 10 Native Master on a MBP Retina Bootcamp partition running Windoze 7 64bit, Horus with 32 premo inputs and 8 premo outs and Hapi with new AKD8DP.

Swineshead

Postby Swineshead » Sun Mar 08, 2015 21:58

NTP/DAD AX32, with the Dante Virtual Soundcard Ethernet driver. Fantastic sound and smooth operation!

crna59

Postby crna59 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 07:52

I've had the pleasure of using the Mytek Manhattan DAC with Pyramix Native. Drivers installed perfectly and we are even able to play DSD256fs files. Great sounding DAC!
Bruce A. Brown
Puget Sound Studios
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

whestworld

Postby whestworld » Sun Oct 02, 2016 19:09

Hi all. new here but been using P9 for a year or so.
I use a Motu 24ai AVB with a Motu Ultralite AVB for basic monitoring. Great and stable.
james

crna59

Postby crna59 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 03:12

Happy to report the AKdesigns ASIO driver and Playback Designs Pinot works great with Native 8.1 and newer.

Also, using Win 7 Pro. Manual said only Win 8.1 and newer would only work.
Bruce A. Brown
Puget Sound Studios
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

Dave Myler

Postby Dave Myler » Fri Jun 02, 2017 08:58

Been using Weiss AFI1 with Pyramix Native for two years.
It's time for a perfect dinner. I need a combo of paprika, garlic, tomato, onion, pepper. Something like that. The new arc 753sg will come in handy.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Jan 17, 2019 23:04

I'm using a RME Fireface UFX+ via USB to get AES out of native.

Since the UFX+ has lots of other uses around the studio, I'd like to free it up. Need to find a cost effective way of getting AES out of my machine, via either PCI card of USB. Any recommendations?

The RME is so solid and works flawlessly. Especially well behaved when switching projects at differing sample rates, the RME always works without changing any other settings. Would like to have this kind of reliability and ease in a replacement setup.