Migrating Pyramix v9 to a different computer

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Rob

Migrating Pyramix v9 to a different computer

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 31, 2015 02:40

Hi,

I currently run PMXx64 v9 on a bootcamp Mac partition with W 7 Pro installed. All is working well except I could use some more processing power when working with large track & plug-in counts. So I decided to install it on my latest MBP Retina machine (with 1TB of SSD!).

Since I already use Winclone (thanks for the tip Frank) I was wondering if I could save some time by trying to migrate my installation using this tool. They have rather detailed instructions for doing this sort of thing. Has anyone tried this migration? I'm interested in hearing if all went well or if you recommend doing a complete fresh install of W7, PMX, and all plug-ins.

Link to instruction:
https://twocanoes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... Winclone-4

Thanks!
- rob
Pyramix 10 Native Master on a MBP Retina Bootcamp partition running Windoze 7 64bit, Horus with 32 premo inputs and 8 premo outs and Hapi with new AKD8DP.

fl

Re: Migrating Pyramix v9 to a different computer

Postby fl » Sun Feb 01, 2015 18:16

Because of the internal hardware differences between your two machines, there is a probability that you'll have problems just copying everything over - particularly hardware drivers, because the two machines have significant differences. On the other hand, Windows does have something like Migration Assistant on the Mac, so you might be able to do a basic Win7 install, install the suitable Bootcamp drivers, and then migrate everything else over from the old machine following that point. Just to be safe, you may want to deactivate any licensed software, so you can re-authorize it on the new machine. Pyramix won't give you any problems, thanks to the dongle.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Rob

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 03, 2015 02:05

Thanks for your input Frank. Winclone instructs how to deal with the different device drivers for the two machines. It involves running the Windows utility Sysprep which strips out the computer specific drivers and turns your installation into a 'generalized' version. You then migrate the generalized version onto your other Mac and instruct it to find it's new host computer drivers.

I might try this method if I could clone my bootcamp partition to an external drive and generalize it there. This would leave my original install intact as I would like to have it for emergencies. It does not look like I can do this with Windows 7 ( but it does look possible with Windows 8 ).

With this in mind and with your mention of having to re-authorize my third-party plug-ins anyway, I'm just going to bite the bullet and do a fresh bootcamp Windows install on the new machine.
- rob
Pyramix 10 Native Master on a MBP Retina Bootcamp partition running Windoze 7 64bit, Horus with 32 premo inputs and 8 premo outs and Hapi with new AKD8DP.

fl

Postby fl » Tue Feb 03, 2015 19:19

Rob wrote:Winclone instructs how to deal with the different device drivers for the two machines. It involves running the Windows utility Sysprep which strips out the computer specific drivers and turns your installation into a 'generalized' version. You then migrate the generalized version onto your other Mac and instruct it to find it's new host computer drivers.

Russell at Winclone has always been a tremendous resource for us Bootcampers. He must be referring to Winclone 4, which I can't run until I update beyond Mac OS 10.6.8.

When I was changing hard drives in my laptop, I investigated Sysprep as an alternative to having to reinstall everything, but I could never get it to work. YMMV.

Rob wrote:I might try this method if I could clone my bootcamp partition to an external drive and generalize it there. This would leave my original install intact as I would like to have it for emergencies. It does not look like I can do this with Windows 7 ( but it does look possible with Windows 8 ).

Except for the part about how you can only boot into a Bootcamped partition on an internal disk.

Rob wrote:With this in mind and with your mention of having to re-authorize my third-party plug-ins anyway, I'm just going to bite the bullet and do a fresh bootcamp Windows install on the new machine.

Some companies are quite forgiving about reinstalling and reauthorizing. Izotope doesn't mind, up to a certain number, at which point you have to email them. Voxengo doesn't care. Eventide plugs, Melodyne Editor, and any Plug-in Alliance plugs should be de-authorized prior. Similarly, MacDrive, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and Tune-Up Utilities, if you use them. Sonoris' DDP Creator cannot be de-authorized, so each re-install eats one of your allowed licenses, until you email Pieter to re-set your count.
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809

Rob

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 03, 2015 20:22

Yes, I am using Winclone 4.

fl wrote:Except for the part about how you can only boot into a Bootcamped partition on an internal disk.

FYI: https://twocanoes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... nal-Drive-
- rob

fl

Postby fl » Tue Feb 17, 2015 22:05

Very interesting - it all hinges on Windows 8's ability to run from EFI mode, rather than depending on a BIOS setting which Bootcamp emulates. That Russell guy, he's very clever.

Sadly, my aging hardware cannot run Windows 8, and as I've kept my Mac OS at 10.6.8, I cannot run Winclone 4, so I cannot test this. Would be handy.
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6