Encountered an improper argument

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
inlinemastering

Encountered an improper argument

Postby inlinemastering » Tue Dec 30, 2014 13:50

when creating a new project or opening up older projects I suddenly get this message "Encountered an improper argument"
I can continue by clicking OK a lot of times, but when I turn into media management I get it constantly ..
whats going on ??

win7 sp1
pyraminx 9.1.6
Hapi

thnx al for help for a new forum / merging / user

wim bult
www.inlinemastering.com

inlinemastering

Re: Encountered an improper argument

Postby inlinemastering » Wed Dec 31, 2014 14:30

OK did a re_install of all // drastic //but it worked !

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:05

Hi Wim (and welcome to Pyramix!),

Sometimes, the presence of an active anti-virus software can cause a 'faulty' installation. It's best to turn it off during any installation or update process.

Cheers,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Kees de Visser

Postby Kees de Visser » Thu May 18, 2017 12:37

Hi,
I just had the same problem (Pyramix 10, Windows 10) and found a workaround:
When I select "small view" or "large view" in the Media Management, the error occurs (one popup window for every audio file found in the current directory).
When I select "list view", the error no longer appears.
Although a bit scary, it doesn't seem to be a serious problem (bug?).

Hope this helps.
Kees

Ricardo Ryan
Site Admin

Postby Ricardo Ryan » Tue May 23, 2017 14:24

Hi,

Merging is aware that the selected Media Management view can generate such error, select "list view" if you have such problem.

Best regards,

Ricardo
Merging Technologies

fl

Postby fl » Mon May 29, 2017 16:41

I'm getting the same pop-up (Encountered an Improper Argument), with VST plugins, particularly those Voxengo plugs which can open additional windows for preset loading or extended controller display. Sometimes I can get the pop-up to go away by clicking on the "Okay" button about a zillion times, but most of the time, the only way out is to call the Task Manager and Force Quit Pyramix. Note that this has nothing at all to do with the Display option chosen for the Media Manager (mine is on a List view all the time).

This makes working with plug-ins like tiptoeing through a minefield - at any point, unsaved changes to a Project can be lost by simply opening the Plug-in's Preset window and attempting to move it slightly.

Later Addition:

I've found that the above error does NOT occur when I have "Enable Desktop Composition" enabled in the Control Panels > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab > Settings (or by simply selecting an Aero Theme from Windows' Personalization CP).

I had disabled this after reading Merging's Windows Configuration Guide, which suggested that if you use a computer lacking a dedicated graphics card, and instead uses the internal Intel controller (as mine does), it should be turned off, however, once that's done, this "Improper Argument" pop-up becomes a menace.

Perhaps someone who has encountered the issue with the Media Manager display should test things with an Aero Theme, to see if the error persistes.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15