Any newer Horus Info?

Forum to discuss your Pyramix systems, motherboards, RAID arrays, graphic cards, laptops, etc..
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
johns

Any newer Horus Info?

Postby johns » Fri Feb 15, 2013 23:25

I'm intrigued by the Horus, but good experienced knowledge regarding it is hard to find. - And a fan? really? Anyone know people actually using these?

klaukholm

Re: Any newer Horus Info?

Postby klaukholm » Fri Feb 15, 2013 23:35

Mark is using them and seems to be very happy. Look around the forum here fo rhis comments. Here we will ask for a demo once the new DAD and Dotec are available to demo. It is my intension to try them the three side by side.

a.stinson

Postby a.stinson » Sat Feb 16, 2013 08:04

We have one here, loaded with 40 channels of mic/line inputs & 8 DA's & dual MADI.

It's working well with Pyramix 8 via Ravenna (also works fine with ProTools & Reaper via ASIO).

Sound is excellent - only a few jobs done so far but initial results are very promising.

Anything in particular you want to know?

Julian Gough

Postby Julian Gough » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41

a.stinson wrote:We have one here, loaded with 40 channels of mic/line inputs & 8 DA's & dual MADI.

It's working well with Pyramix 8 via Ravenna (also works fine with ProTools & Reaper via ASIO).

Sound is excellent - only a few jobs done so far but initial results are very promising.

I understand that even with both PSUs fitted, the Horus can only provide enough current to power up to 32 phantom powered mics. Have you tried to push past that limit. I only have 32 mic/line inputs at the moment so cannot try this. If I remember correctly, this limit assumes that every mic pulls the maximum current allowed.

a.stinson

Postby a.stinson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 14:03

Julian Gough wrote:
a.stinson wrote:We have one here, loaded with 40 channels of mic/line inputs & 8 DA's & dual MADI.

I understand that even with both PSUs fitted, the Horus can only provide enough current to power up to 32 phantom powered mics. Have you tried to push past that limit. I only have 32 mic/line inputs at the moment so cannot try this. If I remember correctly, this limit assumes that every mic pulls the maximum current allowed.

Yes our unit does have the dual power supply option. I have not tested a full 40 channels with phantom power, I'll try it out and report back.

Mario

Postby Mario » Fri Mar 08, 2013 02:49

Hi

Merging just validate the Horus configuration with 48 channels micline inputs, 48 channels output, or any combination of I/O in blocks of 8 (of course)

regards

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Sun Mar 10, 2013 14:19

I would like to know if there are plans to enable remote control with midi over madi?

Serge

Postby Serge » Wed Apr 03, 2013 09:26

johns wrote:And a fan? really?

Merging Turnkey system is noticeably louder than 2 Horuses in the same rack with medium setting in cooling.

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 16:24

Serge wrote:
johns wrote:And a fan? really?

Merging Turnkey system is noticeably louder than 2 Horuses in the same rack with medium setting in cooling.

You are missing the point.
Many of us keep our preamps and converters on stage

Serge

Postby Serge » Wed Apr 03, 2013 18:16

Ah, yes.
Ours are either in the attic or backstage.
Do you hear the noise from them, if they are on the stage?

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Thu Apr 11, 2013 02:17

Serge wrote:Ah, yes.
Ours are either in the attic or backstage.
Do you hear the noise from them, if they are on the stage?

We have out system loaded 40x8 and with the fan on the lowest setting you have to actually put your ear up to the side of the box to hear anything. If you are running fewer channels you can dispense with the fan altogether. I just did an A capella record of chant and early polyphony and had the horus under the main mics. No problems, didn't even realize the fan was on low till I went to shut the unit off.
The remote is via the network. I have tested using a copper to optical set of transceivers and it worked without incident.
We have bought three units to date.
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 08:50

It is great to hear this from you Mark.
One of our other AD's have a fan and it used to be silent, but has slowly become distinctly audible. It is now relegated to standby backup.

Is there an air filter?
I have found that such fanned devices tend to drag a lot of dust into the system and need cleaning every few years.