Another popular DAW

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Re: Another popular DAW

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 18:57

the weight of customers acts on the decisions of engineers, plus the fact that only native Pyramix runs on mac (bootcamp) ... they are not familiar with windows. mac is in all studios and we are a minority in France using windows.

bernard
pyramix 10 Native; windows 10 64 Bits; Asrock Z 270 PRO 4; intel core i7 7700 4.20 GHz; 16G DDR4;
1 SSD M2 Nvme for system; 1 SSD M2 Nvme for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 1T. for backups.

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Fri Jan 27, 2012 06:59

Here's one more:

5) Digidesign gave huge incentives and discounts to Digi dealers to push PT. The average person working in a pro audio dealership will get their own PT system for very little money if they flog enough of them to their customers. Digi did this more aggressively and successfully than other DAW manufacturers.

J.Wajer wrote:
Perfect Record wrote:
aomahana wrote:
...There are pros and cons with all DAWs, so I wont get into that.

I agree completely about that, but PT has so many amazing shortcomings. How did it become so widely used?

As Graemme says, "friends don't let friends drive Pro Tools."

1. ProTools Free came out at the right moment in history.
2. Cracked versions have always been released.
3. Large discount for Students. Both Mac and Digidesign Hard- and software go for ridiculously low prices for students/uni's all around the globe
4. Digidesign simply pushed the rest away.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Sat Jan 28, 2012 00:28

Graemme wrote:Here's one more:

5) Digidesign gave huge incentives and discounts to Digi dealers to push PT. The average person working in a pro audio dealership will get their own PT system for very little money if they flog enough of them to their customers. Digi did this more aggressively and successfully than other DAW manufacturers.

I suppose it's cheaper than doing product development.

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sun Jan 29, 2012 03:33

While I'm not the biggest PT fan around, for modern day pop music production I can see why it's so popular and would likely get chosen ahead of Pyramix for same.

I'm curious to hear about anybody doing large track-count, pop* production in Pyramix.

* = Autotune, 'beat detective' equivalent, automation galore, quickly overdubbing onto many new tracks, etc.

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Tue Jan 31, 2012 20:58

Graemme wrote:While I'm not the biggest PT fan around, for modern day pop music production I can see why it's so popular and would likely get chosen ahead of Pyramix for same....

Graemme

There are some great features in PT, don't get me wrong. PT is very strong when it comes to comping tracks. I don't do that very often in Pyramix. But when I need to do an edit, I want my Pyramix.

There are some other features that are nice in PT. They make it very simple to drop in external insert loops. Just a couple clicks and its all set up and working.

But that editing and navigation interface in PT looks like it was designed by a committee of committees.

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56

When I whant to make "pop" mix, I use Samplitude via asio bridge, and for pitch shift, I use also Melodyne (new version),

I can synchronise both DAWs (Sam/Pyramix), so, I don't need anything else.

Ideally, a mixture Samplitude / Pyramix whould be great...

The object edition of Sam with the audio quality of Pyramix...

But it's just a phantasm :lol:
pyramix 10 Native; windows 10 64 Bits; Asrock Z 270 PRO 4; intel core i7 7700 4.20 GHz; 16G DDR4;
1 SSD M2 Nvme for system; 1 SSD M2 Nvme for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 1T. for backups.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Wed Feb 01, 2012 18:18

allemano bernard@neuf.fr wrote:When I whant to make "pop" mix, I use Samplitude via asio bridge, and for pitch shift, I use also Melodyne (new version)...

The more I use mix automation in Pyramix, the happier I become. In the end, it does most everything I need. I came out of mix automation on analog consoles, so it's still kind of amazing to me that I can see the audio and graphically draw a fade or a dip.

I've never tried Samplitude, but your approach sounds interesting.

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 18:45

Hi,

I am not a commercial agent in samplitude, but I most have to said they have the best tools for easy editing, for example the object manager.
For one object only, (clip) you can affect a specific effect, modify pan/ mono/stereo etc...whatever the track,
editing commands are very numerous, so for me, the versatility of Sam with the audio engine of Pyramix is the best of the bests.

Best,

Bernard

tas

Postby tas » Wed Feb 01, 2012 21:01

as someone has already suggested a good integration with melodyne through ARA or whatever would help such tasks a lot. Perhaps it could be used for timing fixes as well, if thats what beat detective does (not sure there)

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Tue Feb 28, 2012 15:08

OK, so what I would add from PT into Pyramix:

1 Current TC Position. The ability to slip the TC time at a specific point without the need to Cut & Paste all clips to a new location

2 Import Session Data. Would complement PMX libraries very nicely

3 The ability to organize tracks and mixer strips by dragging with no need for configuration pages or tabs

4 The same about copying and moving plugins between strips directly in the mixer main window

5 No white screens and mixer rebuilds as on Pyramix

6 Ability to select multiple tracks using Shift and Control and having those tracks selection syncronized with the Mixer

If Merging would that for the upcoming V8 would make me a happy user indeed. Obviously, not talking about having a sequencer built in, that would be gold :)
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

maikol

Postby maikol » Wed Oct 03, 2012 23:40

he he, great subject!

I have to say that while I HATE to work with PT (editing is a real PITA when you know how faster you can go in PMX), PT is waaaaaay easier to use than PMX.

You can teach anybody how to record their stuff alone with PT in minutes, whereas the learning curve is really much longer in PMX.

And, mixing in PT is way easier and better than in PMX (not talking about sound, but about ease of use, automation, and plugins variety)

That, the Mbox tsunami, and Microsoft like marketing did it all, IMHO.

But man, what a bad editor it is! :lol:

Dominique Brulhart

Postby Dominique Brulhart » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57

Hi dears,

I won't comment on why Protools is more popular than Pyramix, there are certainly a lot of mistakes on our side, including definitely being smaller and missing massive marketing.

I just wanted to send you a nice poster about Panurge Sheeps I saw 30 years ago at my father. It says all ;-)

panurge.jpg
panurge.jpg (284.53 KiB) Viewed 11593 times

Happy New Year

Dominique

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Thu Jan 03, 2013 00:48

Dom,

there´s nothing wrong about being smaller or not having massive marketing. In some cases, less is more. Just remember that you(Merging) have a lot of "yellow sheep followers" that just don´t want to follow the herd, but despite yelling at your ears about simple things, are still not heard! Maybe it´s the noise of all the other million sheep going the opposite direction and diving into the sea. In the story, despite the merchants efforts, all sheep followed Panurge.

Let´s make this year, the year of the simple things! :)
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

Dominique Brulhart

Postby Dominique Brulhart » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:24

Hi Paulo,

I heard you !

We'll make it simple this year.

Cheers,

Dom

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Fri Jan 04, 2013 03:01

Paulo. I think Merging Sheep are Orange. :D

Dom. Looking forward to what you offer us this year.

Best wishes

Larry