Mysterious Pop and loss

Pyramix Native users forum
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Perfect Record

Re: Mysterious Pop and loss

Postby Perfect Record » Tue Feb 28, 2012 18:29

Donald,

We had a discussion on using small, buss powered drives earlier. Just curious what kind of drive you were using? What track count and sample frequency were you recording at the time?

Was your audio interface on the same buss as the hard drive?

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Wed Feb 29, 2012 01:10

The first thing I ask is what kind of drive are you using? USB, Firewire? This sounds like the system put the drive to sleep. This happens all the time with USB and firewire drives. You need to go into the power management and disable the power saving features. You'd think that because the system is writing to the drive that it wouldn't put it to sleep, but you'd be wrong. If as new command hasn't been sent to the system, it assumes that it can put things to sleep to save power.
Second, you should be formatting all media drives NTFS with 64k allocation size. This will speed up the read write of the system.

All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

Donald S

Postby Donald S » Wed Feb 29, 2012 04:52

I've been using OWP's mercury elite FW800 drives, NTFS formatted and accessed by MacDrive. They have an external power supply which I want to do away with in the field but are fine for the studio.
On the DPC program, I am still getting 800-1200 ms. spikes exactly every 30 reconds! I have to download a better processor monitoring program to find the offending process. These are same wether PMX is running w/FF800 and not. Everything is disabled that I have read about. Can MBP/Bootcamp users recommend a list of things to turn off?
So far:
Bootcamp.
Tweaked Nvidia drivers (from rme-forum)
All LAN adapters
I even went into the system process list and disabled everything one at a time then observing the readout on DPC.
Same results, every 30 seconds.
Don Spaulding
Symphonic Sound Recording
WWW.SYMPHONICSOUND.COM

Donald S

Postby Donald S » Thu Apr 05, 2012 05:40

[quote="mpdonahue"]The first thing I ask is what kind of drive are you using? USB, Firewire? This sounds like the system put the drive to sleep. This happens all the time with USB and firewire drives. You need to go into the power management and disable the power saving features. You'd think that because the system is writing to the drive that it wouldn't put it to sleep, but you'd be wrong. If as new command hasn't been sent to the system, it assumes that it can put things to sleep to save power.
Second, you should be formatting all media drives NTFS with 64k allocation size. This will speed up the read write of the system.

All the best,
-mark[/quote]
I found the culprit! And yes, it was a power issue. I found it using a Process monitoring program. In the System 4, ACPI.sys+0x10b10 (TID 100) was causing these spikes. I guess it's checking the battery capacity. Now, I'm noticing how much hotter the MBP runs in bootcamp. Anyone have a fix for that? Is it because I messed with the power management?
Almost there!
Don
Don Spaulding

Symphonic Sound Recording

WWW.SYMPHONICSOUND.COM