Quicktime encoding problems and solution

Welcome to the VCube discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
J.Wajer

Quicktime encoding problems and solution

Postby J.Wajer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 18:10

I tried encoding some Quicktime movies today and found out that the encoding setting are closely related to the DirectDraw preview engine. I captured Video (SDI) and used the default aspect ratio settings: 720*576. This gave me an erroneous Quicktime videostream. Then I noticed that the Direct Draw settings where set to 762*571. So I entered these values in the Width and Height fields of the Render Compositon dialog and now the rendered Quicktime was fine!

I am happy to have discovered this myself, but can anyone give me an inside to what is going on here?

Running VCube 2.0.6.0
...Gracefully Ignored...

J.Wajer

Re: Quicktime encoding problems and solution

Postby J.Wajer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:58

Anybody else @ this Forum rendering to Quicktime? I would like to recieve some advice for the proper settings to convert either to: Uncompressed or DV-PAL. I always end up with a wrong video stream when I use the default 720*576 (Green beam at lowerhalf of Quicktime)... see post above....and example below

All other fileformats (MPEG/AVI/MXF) work!

Running Quicktime 7.6.2 and VCube 2.0.6.0

...Gracefully Ignored...

AkaiDD

Postby AkaiDD » Fri Jul 24, 2009 21:08

Same here! I though I have troubles with codecs, but now....

BTW, Jaap, QT with H264 works fine here instead of DV...
Regards, Max Romasevitch
MELNITSA Animation Studio

Ricardo Ryan
Site Admin

Postby Ricardo Ryan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:32

Hi,

From the look of things the corresponding image looks to be NTSC (720x480), pitched and repeated. Can you verify the codec settings and that it truly supports PAL?

Regards,
Ricardo

J.Wajer

Postby J.Wajer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 15:53

O yes. PAL they where.

The good news is: Build 565 has cured this render problem. At least: I cant reproduce it using 565. I will try out with ye oldie version.

Confirmed: Encoding Quicktime is wrong in 2.0.6.0, but is corrected in 565!

But...but... has noone ever encoded a Quicktime in 2.0.6.0????? Seems so.....

GJ?
...Gracefully Ignored...

alphie
Site Admin

Postby alphie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 16:18

That is how software is developped where modules created by exterior sources are integrated into another developer's platform. QuickTime is for the most part a regrouping of open formats for encoding mudules that are more or less updated as the need arises from the independant entities that create and support them. Some formats are even divided over several entities and get "flavors" of versions that may further reduce their modular parcticality for integrating developers like Merging. When something breaks in QuickTime in relation to VCube, it is most often reported by a client who is faced with content that was created with a new branch of an encoding module that poses new technical problems for us while proportedly solving other problems for some other entitiy. "QuickTime" is vast, it's not just one format but a sprawling and ever growing list of codecs and formats. Many people have encoded QuickTime files in v 2.0.6.0. However the forum is not a bug report zone, it's just a forum. A place to exchange ideas, techniques and even vent some healthy frustration in hopes that someone else has some light to shed on the matter. In the future I would advise that bug reports be sent directly to us through the proper support channels in addition to the subsequent creation of any forum subjects that may interest other struggling professionals. A support question gets a support response, a forum is a place to share and voice opinions but does not garantee immediate attention by us specifically whaen a real technical problem arises. We want to know when a bug is present in one of our software programs as soon as it is discovered and greatly appreciate the valuable information of such issues reported. When we see it, we try it and then we fix it so show it to us directly if it doesn't work.