Horus based new line of 1U interfaces

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Paulo M

Horus based new line of 1U interfaces

Postby Paulo M » Thu Jul 12, 2012 13:23

Scope:

Basically a smaller form factor of 1U interfaces, for those that already use other converters and don´t need the extensive I/O of the Horus, but still are willing to replace their Mykerinos cards and go the Ravenna route as a way of connecting Pyramix Masscore.

Having a touch screen and the 24 AES as standard on the Horus increases cost. Obviously is fantastic for those that want the complete solution and extensive I/O, but like I said, maybe not everybody needs/wants that.

Also a viable and competitive range of interfaces, for Pyramix Native and other manufacturers native DAWS, using ASIO or Core Audio drivers for ethernet, instead of PCIe.

So, in the future, basic Horus derived interfaces could be available. Basically a direct replacement for most popular Mykerinos/daughterboard combos.

Maybe the smaller range could adopt the name RA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra )

Examples:

1- RA MADI

1U Rack unit
No touch screen (all routing and config via browser and MT Discovery)
Ravenna Port In (back plate)
Ravenna Port Out (back plate, for connection to other Ravenna devices without the need of a switcher)
MADI In ( back plate coax and optical)
MADI Out (back plate coax and optical)
Word Clock in (back plate)
Word Clock Out (back plate)
Headphones 1 (Jack 1/4 on front panel with volume knob)
Headphones 2 (Jack 1/4 on back plate, software level controlled, ideal for external headphones distribution and talkback via Pyramix Monitor panel)
Analogue Stereo Out (Jack 1/4 on back plate, with up to 192 Khz conversion)
USB 2.0 (for MIDI I/O)

RA AES

1U Rack unit
Ravenna Port Out (back plate, for connection to other Ravenna devices without the need of a switcher)
AES In and AES Out ( back plate, 24 channels I/O on 3 DB25 Tascam digital pinout)
Headphones 2 (Jack 1/4 on back plate, software level controlled, ideal for external headphones distribution and talkback via Pyramix Monitor panel)
USB 2.0 (for MIDI I/O)

RA DUAL

1U Rack unit
AES In and AES Out ( back plate, 8 channels I/O on 1 DB25 Tascam digital pinout)
Analogue In and Analogue Out (back plate, 8 channels I/O on 2 DB25 Tascam pinout)
USB 2.0 (for MIDI I/O)
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

fl

Re: Horus based new line of 1U interfaces

Postby fl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 15:57

These are great suggestions.

The only thing I might add is some provision for a backup recording method similar to RME's DuRec function on the UFX.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 17:40

If they would open up and let us use a Dotec producer.com via ravenna in masscore mode without a horus present, then the product already exists.

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Fri Jul 13, 2012 07:23

If they would open up and let us use a Dotec producer.com via ravenna in masscore mode without a horus present, then the product already exists.

It´s not the same type of interface, namely regarding the number of I/O that my suggested units have. But like you say, I think that the DO should work with Masscore in Ravenna mode, after all, I guess that Ravenna devices are supposed to work between them, otherwise it wouldn´t be a network protocol anymore. I think that if you have the Merging Network card, Masscore will work and pass audio to and from the DO Producer. You should get that info from Merging, if you´re interested in using other Ravenna devices with Pyramix.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41

klaukholm wrote:If they would open up and let us use a Dotec producer.com via ravenna in masscore mode without a horus present, then the product already exists.

According to Stephan Flock, head of Directout, the producer.com's Ravenna port is hardware limited to 8 audio channels, according to the spec of the chip that is used. I don't know if that can be changed at all on the firmware level.

But I was under the impression, you already can use the producer.com instead of the Horus, if 8 channels is enough for you and you are not particularly interested in the supposedly superior quality of the AD/DA of the Horus (according to Merging's PR). The Masscore key is issued to the special Ethernet PCI card that is necessary, not to Horus, did I get that wrong?

Cheers - B.

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 00:06

Dotec have indicated that they may open up to more channels later as it is possible, or so they thought.
I sure hope they do as that was my reason for buying the dotec in the first place.

Right now it is pointless as you I thought you would need a horus in order to even betatest ravenna.
I was told the key would be locked to the horus, if they lock it to the pcie card, I will be very happy.

As far as the unit I use, for me it would work as a format converter from ravenna to madi .
Once and if I can test the ravenna component of the dote, I will report back

I have no need for an upgrade of my ADs, our three orchestra rigs are Prism, Crookwood and Euphonix and they sound just fine

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Sat Jul 14, 2012 01:03

As far as the unit I use, for me it would work as a format converter from ravenna to madi .
Once and if I can test the ravenna component of the dote, I will report back

I have no need for an upgrade of my ADs, our three orchestra rigs are Prism, Crookwood and Euphonix and they sound just fine

That´s precisely because of that, that I suggested this interface line. For people that already have other brand converters and just want a Ravenna interface for Pyramix, being it MADI or AES. If some other manufacturer offers that, fine too. I have a Sphynx2 with MADI card, so I would like to keep using it, but for that I need a MADI interface. If I dump my Mykerinos/MADI for the sake of not being compatible with 64 bit or even at a later stage, a Pyramix version comes out that doesn´t support it(which is understandable as technology evolves), what will I do? Connect MADI where?
Or buying Horus for the sake of a MADI interface and 24 channel AES that I don´t need for my setup?

Like I said before, I think that Horus is a great product, but it may not suit everybody´s budget or present setup. So we need solutions. Ravenna being a network and open protocol to the manufacturers that adhere to it, I will expect to find solutions for this, be it from Merging or non Merging.
Or stick to the Mykerinos until they keep delivering what one needs for the present and only then when they kick the bucket, deciding the way to go.

I´m not a fan of changing setups just for the sake of novelty, but sometimes, you can foreseen if a product may or not fill the gap in your setup.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Sat Jul 14, 2012 09:41

I'm positive Merging will offer a heavy discount on the Horus base unit, not the AD/DA options, for registered Masscore users to sweeten the pain of the big Mykerinos dump when the 32 to 64 bit jump is here. That's the easiest solution if you don't want to alienate this loyal customer base.

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:34

thanks Paulo,
it's good food for thought. i for one would be very interested in the Horus RA MADI to upgrade my Native systems to Ravenna. if i understand correctly, i could 'split' out the Ravenna data stream to a backup rig with the use of an ethernet switch. alternately, simply use optical MADI for the master and Ravenna for the backup to a laptop.

one of my first thoughts when i saw Horus was "why so much I/O on a base unit?" i won't need AES and MADI at the same time, much less room for A/D or D/A cards.

to go one minor step further, how about a pair of analog male XLR connectors? then talkback and playback can be routed to stage!
cheers,
-charlie
MassCore v14.0.5 Win10/64 i9-10900 & i9-11900K, Avid S3
3x Horus = 80 In/24 Out @PCM
Native V14 Win10/64 i7-12700K miniDSP UDIO-8, Avid S1 & nob controller
Native V14 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Sun Jan 13, 2013 03:00

Hi Charlie,

keep the suggestions coming. :)

In the meantime, I guess that some other manufacturers read this thread:

http://global.focusrite.com/ethernet-au ... s/rednet-6

Only jocking of course, but now imagine that Dante is Ravenna and you get something very similar to the RA MADI. The only diference is that the Focusrite unit is real and the RA is not...

Knock, knock Switzerland, anybody there?
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3