Solo Button on Subgroup Mixer Channel

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
allen

Solo Button on Subgroup Mixer Channel

Postby allen » Sun May 23, 2010 17:06

Just curious as to why there isn't a solo button on the subgroup channel in the mixer...if i subgroup something...drums, background vocals etc..it would be nice to just hear the effect or EQ i may have added to the subgroup only..or am i missing something?...Allen

fl

Re: Solo Button on Subgroup Mixer Channel

Postby fl » Sun May 23, 2010 18:29

Soloing the Sub Group would effectively mute all the channels feeding it, and under the current scheme, there is no way for the Sub Group to "know" what channels are feeding it - so it would be a major re-write of the mixer code to allow this function. I agree that it can be helpful sometimes, to be able just to listen to whatever effect is being applied in the Sub Group, and a clumsy workaround is to turn off all strips' feeds to the main mix bus, which will leave them active and sending their signals to the Sub Group, but with only the Sub Group's output being passed on to the main mix.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

allen

Postby allen » Sun May 23, 2010 18:48

this is such an easy thing to do in pro tools/nuendo..etc..i thought it would be simple in Pyramix as it does so much else that the other programs cannot do...doesn't it know what channels are coming into it by the (aux like sends) that you feed the channels your sending to the subgroup?...allen

fl

Postby fl » Sun May 23, 2010 19:21

allen wrote:doesn't it know what channels are coming into it by the (aux like sends) that you feed the channels your sending to the subgroup?...allen

Apparently not.

The Sub Group is a fairly new feature - only since version 6.1 - so there may be some plans for its refinement and perhaps this capability will be available in a future release.

However, if you do it the "old way" - setting up an Aux. send and a return channel strip, you still cannot solo either the Aux. master or the Return strip, because Soloing mutes all the source channels/strips. Of course you can Solo-Safe some strips, but this defeats the purpose, as you will still hear those strips' outputs when you solo your Return strip.

Agreed, this feature would be useful.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

allen

Postby allen » Sun May 23, 2010 19:28

if you set up an aux send..then setup a stereo channel...internal buss send the aux to the stereo channel....hit the safe button on the aux send(set the fader at zero)..then solo the stereo channel you've bussed it to(use it as your main aux rtrn now)...works like a charm you can now solo reverbs ,delays etc...i use this all the time..allen (it won't work unless you hit the safe button on the main aux rtrn channel)

allen

Postby allen » Sun May 23, 2010 19:34

sorry one more thing..it seems if you try this to send drums or background vocals..there's to much latency and you can hear it...but not as critical with delays and reverbs i suppose :)...allen (but the auto delay compensation on the subgroup works great..thats why a solo button would be fanastic so i could hear any compression/Eq changes i make to the subgroup alone)

J.Wajer

Postby J.Wajer » Sun May 23, 2010 20:21

On a sidenote: In order for the delay compensation to properly work, you need to connect the Aux and busreturns to the Mixer strip in a fairly odd way. Below on the bus and aux returns on the mixer there is a popup labelled input. Click on this and set it to the bus feeding the strip. You will now have 0 samples latency.

I have been asking for a solo and mute on a subgroup, aux and bus for a loooong time now. No luck yet.
...Gracefully Ignored...

allen

Postby allen » Sun May 23, 2010 20:23

thanks for the tip...Allen

Rob

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 21, 2014 02:41

Sorry to resurrect this old discussion but more than four years later and there is still no solo button on a subgroup strip? Yes, I read the workaround for this but really? This is such a basic bit of functionality.
- rob
Pyramix 10 Native Master on a MBP Retina Bootcamp partition running Windoze 7 64bit, Horus with 32 premo inputs and 8 premo outs and Hapi with new AKD8DP.

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Sun Dec 21, 2014 13:23

Hi,
Easy : the workaround : in the "monitor!" section you can select what you whant

Best regards,
Bernard
pyramix 10 Native; windows 10 64 Bits; Asrock Z 270 PRO 4; intel core i7 7700 4.20 GHz; 16G DDR4;
1 SSD M2 Nvme for system; 1 SSD M2 Nvme for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 1T. for backups.

Rob

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 21, 2014 22:55

Thanks Bernard. I am new to the world of PMX and had not yet enabled the Monitor function.

So much to learn with this very powerful and flexible DAW.

I wish the PMX 9 User Manual was written better. The Pyramix 9 Workflow Guide for Film and TV has helped me spin up but it does not cover the Monitor function.

If anyone knows of other useful learning resources, please let me know.

Best regards,
-rob
- rob
Pyramix 10 Native Master on a MBP Retina Bootcamp partition running Windoze 7 64bit, Horus with 32 premo inputs and 8 premo outs and Hapi with new AKD8DP.