MIDI control for Monitor

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
fl

MIDI control for Monitor

Postby fl » Wed Feb 17, 2010 23:18

For the Native users in the crowd, would it be useful to be able to map MIDI - or even USB - controller information to access things like monitor output level and Talkback activation? Yes, I can do all that with the mouse, but sometimes in the heat of battle, that gets cumbersome, and having something like the Griffin Powermate - or even being able to resurrect my old Logictech NuLooq - to control these common functions, would be very handy instead of having to fish about with the mouse.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Jonathon Stevens

Re: MIDI control for Monitor

Postby Jonathon Stevens » Thu Feb 18, 2010 01:59

Hi Frank,

I don't know about the Griffen and Logitech devices you mentioned but i've successfully used controller mapping to map the Master fader on my Radikal sac-2k to control the Pyramix monitor section master volume knob.
Pyramix Setting -> Project -> controller mapping

You have to make sure to add your controller first (in my case the Radikal using the MIDICONTROL driver):
Pyramix Settings -> Remote Control -> Controller

This worked pretty easy for me, and It appears the talkback buttons show up in the controller mapping as well so i'll go out on a limb and presume they would work too.
Jonathon Stevens
jonathon@centitone.com

CHarbutt

Postby CHarbutt » Thu May 20, 2010 16:50

Any chance someone has a MidiControl Mapping template file to import...to save all that time mapping?

fl

Postby fl » Thu May 20, 2010 20:18

CHarbutt wrote:Any chance someone has a MidiControl Mapping template file to import...to save all that time mapping?

There doesn't seem to be any way to store individual MIDI Mapping schemes in the mapping page - just the opportunity to Save and Load the Default. There is a "Load" button there, but it's always greyed out.

However, if a scheme is in effect when you save a Project, it gets saved with that project, even if you establish a completely different scheme in another project afterward, and save it as Default. Whatever was in effect at the time a project was last saved will be recalled when that project is opened later. Should you wish, at that time, to overwrite that scheme with the Default, clicking on the "Load Default" button in the mapping window will load the Default mapping scheme. Saving Project set-ups as Templates will also save any custom controller mapping, so that you could have a variety of mapping schemes that change with your application/template choice.

So there are two places where Controller mapping information is set. One place is the All Settings > Remote Control > Controller, where you can set up the installation of new controllers, establishing their type (GPI/GPO, ISIS Remote, MCS3000, MIDICONTROL, MMC, OASIS, Sony 9-pin and ViperNL), and enabling/disabling them with the checkbox. This basically configures Pyramix to expect to connect with an attached controller, using whatever protocol is selected.

The other place is where the actual mapping scheme is set-up or recalled, which is done on a project by project basis, in the All Settings > Project > Controller Mapping page where you can specify the Properties (specific command mappings) of the controller installed earlier.

I find that when I run a project without having my MIDI controller attached to the machine, I'll get an error message when I launch Pyramix with the controller still activated (checkbox checked in the Remote Control > Controller Properties window). I think that this is because when my MIDI controller is not found by Windows, the settings revert to whatever MIDI input is available - in this case, my RME Fireface, which doesn't have the capability to send MIDI commands - so I get a "A Device ID has been used that is out of range for your system" error message. If I then open a Project that, when last saved, had an active Remote Control device - I get the error message a second time - and a third time when I close the Project.

I find I have to go to the Settings > Remote Control > Controller Properties window and de-activate (uncheck the check box) the external control, to make this stop. It's a little cumbersome, as I think that the programmers were thinking that any controller would be a permanent addition to one's set-up, instead of occasional use. (I suppose it's similar to what I have to do when I wish to use Virtual Transport - adjusting the Settings when I first open Pyramix, to enable special requirements for a particular session.)
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15