Template options

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Perfect Record

Template options

Postby Perfect Record » Wed Feb 03, 2010 06:55

When saving templates, it would be great to have an option to save the structure of the project (EDL, desk) without any media or marks.

I keep coming up with complicated mastering projects that I'd like to recycle later.

AndyR

Re: Template options

Postby AndyR » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:51

Yes please!!

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33

Hi Preston,

Excuse my thick-headedness, but when I save a template, the desk and track groups, etc. are all preserved. What am I not understanding about your question?

Best Regards,

Graemme

Perfect Record wrote:When saving templates, it would be great to have an option to save the structure of the project (EDL, desk) without any media or marks.

I keep coming up with complicated mastering projects that I'd like to recycle later.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

fl

Postby fl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 18:37

Perfect Record wrote:When saving templates, it would be great to have an option to save the structure of the project (EDL, desk) without any media or marks.

I've avoided using Templates for this very reason - too much gets saved with the template. If I am running a fully set up project, whose characteristics I wish to use again for another project, I don't want to have to first clear out all the mounted media, clear all the marks and CD markers, and then unmount the Media folder(s) - I just want to slave the "blank slate" condition with the same number of tracks, their mixer assignments, and any installed plug-ins.

Under the current scheme, at least you can check the "Set-up new workspace" box when you create a new project from a template, which will create the new project folder with the Media and Backup folders inside, and re-address the default locations in the "General" and "Record" project Settings, but the old project's media folders are still mounted in the Media Manager, and the clips and markers are still in the time-line.

I'd prefer to start a new project with a clean slate, as far as associated media, folders and marks. Under the current scheme, before I save a template, I must first delete all mounted clips, delete all markers and CD markers, and then unmount all media folders from the Media Manager. After that, I probably have to "normalize" my mixer to a neutral, starting state (faders to 0 dB, panpots centered, any plug-ins' settings restored to their neutral state...). Only then, can I save what is for me a usable template.

Perhaps the answer might be to have an intermediary window that opens when saving a template - with a bunch of check boxes to indicate what characteristics of the current project should be saved (in much the same way that you can save and load selected elements in the "Settings"). Suitable characteristics could include:

Tracks and Groups (number of tracks, track groupings and track group settings such as display colour and
Source and Destination status)

Media (mounted media folders, mounted clips on the time-line)

Markers (regular markers, CD markers and disks and their equivalents for SACD)

Mixer State (mixer strips, mixer buses, fader and pan positions, input/output assignments, mixer plug-ins
and plug-in order (VST vs. VS3), plug-in settings).
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

J.Wajer

Postby J.Wajer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 20:24

Good suggestion Frank! But more versatile would be to have this requester at loading time, so one template could be used for more applications.

I vote for implementation.
...Gracefully Ignored...

fl

Postby fl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 20:54

J.Wajer wrote:Good suggestion Frank! But more versatile would be to have this requester at loading time, so one template could be used for more applications.

Ah, brilliant! Much more versatile.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15