.pmf converter application?

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

.pmf converter application?

Postby fl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 17:04

How handy would it be to have a stand alone application that would convert .pmf files to .wav or .bwv or .aif files, while maintaining all other aspects of the file (bit depth, sample rate, number of channels...). There are times when I either don't have access to my Pyramix system, or don't want to re-boot into Windows from the Mac, where being able to convert a file or two would be very useful to me.

I suppose there would have to be built in warnings about file size limitations - 2 GB and/or 4 GB, but apart from that, would a bit for bit transfer be a problem? How hard would it be to write such a program?
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.0.6/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.123
fl

Re: .pmf converter application?

Postby J.Wajer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 18:34

Maybe it would be a fine idea to write such a tool for foobar... the best Open Source player/converter around!
...Gracefully Ignored...
J.Wajer

Postby Graemme » Sun Jan 25, 2009 23:21

Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"
Graemme

Postby fl » Mon Jan 26, 2009 09:01

Graemme wrote:http://www.merging.com/2002/html/amr.htm

Yes, AMR is a full featured tool - I just want a way to get a file out of .pmf format quickly when my dongle is with my second system, or when I don't want to go through all the bother of re-booting into Windows from the Mac side. No dither, no word length adjustment - and preferably, something that could be included with the package that comes with Pyramix itself.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.0.6/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.123
fl

Postby Graemme » Mon Jan 26, 2009 20:38

???

AMR is a separate tool that doesn't use the Pyramix dongle. You seem to be indirectly asking for a Mac-based file converter, no? (The latter is not going to happen unless somebody other than Merging does it.)

The WAV file improvements I saw in the beta of V6.1 might make this a moot point: much faster waveform drawing and better file handling. Perhaps you soon won't need to use PMF files...

Graemme

fl wrote:
Graemme wrote:http://www.merging.com/2002/html/amr.htm

Yes, AMR is a full featured tool - I just want a way to get a file out of .pmf format quickly when my dongle is with my second system, or when I don't want to go through all the bother of re-booting into Windows from the Mac side. No dither, no word length adjustment - and preferably, something that could be included with the package that comes with Pyramix itself.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

Graemme

Postby huub » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:45

Yaaay! Faster waveform drawing! :D
Huub lelieveld
Senior audio engineer
United outside broadcast
Euro Media Group
Hilversum, Netherlands

PMX v8.1
Mykerinos X-30 D, Triple DC MADIO-2 Optical Madi
huub

Postby Graemme » Sat Jan 31, 2009 18:39

It's even faster than I thought...it's drawing waveforms while recording...

Graemme

huub wrote:Yaaay! Faster waveform drawing! :D
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

Graemme

Postby ClbGld » Sun Oct 30, 2011 17:52

FWIW...

This is an old thread, but just in case anyone runs into the same issue, I thought it would be a good idea to post my experience here.

Produced a 5 day recording session (done in Pyramix with PMF files) and received the WAV files for editing from the session engineer. Wave conversion was done using Pyramix. However, for some reason some of the takes did not convert properly (they were either 0 byte files or just a few seconds of the original takes). I also had the PMF files on the drive, but since I use Sequoia for editing and p/p, I couldn't import those directly. Looked around on the net and the only PMF conversion utility I could find was Merging's Audio Magic Ring.

The only way I could install AMR properly in either Windows XP or Win7 32 was to turn OFF the virus program (in my case, Avast) - otherwise, the extra setup tabs wouldn't appear when opening the amr file's properties. For Win7, I also ran the AMR installer in XP SP3 compatibility mode with administrator rights, after turning off Avast.

AMR now seems to be converting properly and I am finally able to access the corrupt takes. Of course, there might be other ways to make this program work with Win7/XP, but in my system that was the only way I got it to behave properly.

Cleber
ClbGld

Postby tas » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:09

Is this AMR still available? That link does not seem to work.

Also on this topic. What are the actual benefits of using PMF? Is it just the wavfeform drawing?
PMX 8.0.12 Native, Windows 7 Ultimate, MacPro, Bootcamp 4.0, RME MadiFX
tas

Postby Mario » Mon Dec 12, 2011 13:06

Hi,

PMf allows to record more channels on a single hard disk (interleaved and not one file per track) than BWF

If you have raid disks, maybe you don´t care about it

regards

Mario
Mario

Postby phaseboy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 20:56

PMF is more a file system than a simple file format. The biggest significance being that data is interleaved in blocks as opposed to samples which allows for much more efficient read/write to/from disk. A very simple way to experience this is to simply make a session with a high track count of high sample rate and record a chunk of audio (all tracks) in pmf and then switch format to wave and record again. Look at the drive activity, or even just listen to the drive itself - the difference will be obvious.

What most people will find with pmf is that they will be able to record and playback noticeably higher track counts before they experience stalls on a given system. Less noticeable unless you are working at high sample rates with extreme track counts is improved performance within pyramix in general (generally more responsive when zooming, moving clips, nudging etc...).

These days with faster drives, SSD's, and many people using striped arrays this isn't as big a deal as it was a decade ago. Still in many cases if you are working on a large project that is all wave files and are experiencing stalls and slow response, you may well find that rendering everything to pmf will make these issues disappear.

Regards,

Mark
Mark S. Willsher
http://www.pin3hot.com
phaseboy

Return to Pyramix Suggestions