Resampler - pitch change display error

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
fl

Resampler - pitch change display error

Postby fl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 20:53

While working on an unaccompanied choral recording, that required some pitch shifting to keep things in tune from take to take, I discovered that there is an error in the way semi-tones and cents are calculated in the display.

There are 1200 cents per octave, 100 per equal tempered semi-tone, but the Pyramix display seems to think that there is one cent per semi-tone, requireing the entry of fractional values like 0.15 when 15 cents is what's wanted. I'm sure this is a simple error with how the interface is programmed - sometimes this math stuff gets confusing.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

fl

Re: Resampler - pitch change display error

Postby fl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 06:10

Just a bump to hopefully get this corrected in the upcoming 6.1 release.

After spending all day editing unaccompanied chorus with pitch drift, I'm once again longing for a correct display of cents in the Resampling Properties window. Yes, there is the absolute percentage entry field, which probably has finer resolution, but when you are hunting for just the right pitch to match up two takes, I find it easier to think in terms of semi-tones - or portions thereof - than having to do any other math.

It's very convenient to have the option to adjust pitch by cents in the Resampling process, but it would be even nicer if it used the correct values, and started with no pitch shift as its default. It's cumbersome to have to first click on the "Semi-tones:" field and change it from 1 to 0, and then click on the "Cents:" field to enter "0.6 cents" when what is really meant (and what Pyramix gives) is 60 cents. Just to be clear - typing .6 cents results in a pitch change of 60 cents, so the display and the processing do not correspond correctly.

I'm hoping that if this correction gets implemented, we'll not only have 100 cents to the semi-tone, but also fractions of cents, so that the option to use, say, 60.7 cents would be available. (I'm thinking that if there are computational or resampling limitations here, one decimal place would be sufficient for most cases, but two would be even better.)

1200 cents per octave; 100 cents per equal tempered semi-tone. Please and thank-you.
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809

fl

Re: Resampler - pitch change display error

Postby fl » Sat Feb 27, 2010 09:12

It's very nice to see this is now fixed in the 6.2 release - the Cents box now treats the numbers correctly. Having the change of length displayed in three decimal point accuracy is very nice as well. Thanks very much.
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6