Toggling Solo buttons option for Mixer - Force New Selection

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
fl

Toggling Solo buttons option for Mixer - Force New Selection

Postby fl » Thu Dec 06, 2007 20:34

Often I find myself comparing two different mike set-ups coming in on different tracks/channels. It would be nice to have an option for the Solo that would force the De-selection of previously soloed channels, when I click on the solo for another channel. This way, I wouldn't have to un-solo one channel and hear the full mix before soloing my other channel - I could just switch back and forth.

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:47

Hi Frank,

There are (at least) two ways to achieve this:

1) Right-click over a fader and choose 'Add Strip' and select 'Group.' Then, when asked choose '2' as the number of groups.

Assign the first set of mics to the first group and so on.

Now, you can switch between the groups by pressing either the Group's 'Solo' or 'Mute' buttons. Sure, this takes two clicks instead of one, but see the next:

2) Create a second output bus and route only the second set of mics to it, while also de-assigning the second set of mics from the first output bus.

Make sure that neither output bus is assigned to any physical output.

Go to the 'Monitor Panel' and assign the physical outputs to whatever you use for monitoring.

On the left-hand side of the monitor window, simply selecting one of the two output buses will, with a single-click, toggle you between the two sets of microphones.

I can't give you specific page numbers, as I don't have a PMX V5.1 manual handy, but the rest of the details required are in there somewhere.

Best,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

charlienyc

solo

Postby charlienyc » Fri Dec 07, 2007 19:22

i think i see Frank's scenario and intention of his suggestion.

picture it: you've got a large orchestra out in the room with multiple mics setup. you want to quickly solo each one in succession without summing the solos. this was one of the solo modes on a large analog console such as an SSL. not sure if it was "fleet" or what the name was, but it was a very fast / convenient way to check things on the fly.

if i can add my $.02 (in USD :wink:), i've been longing for a "solo clear" function on the mixer. too often i click the mutes when i'm trying to un-solo several channels.
cheers,
-c

charlienyc

Re: solo

Postby charlienyc » Fri Dec 07, 2007 19:28

charlienyc wrote:this was one of the solo modes on a large analog console such as an SSL. not sure if it was "fleet" or what the name was, but it was a very fast / convenient way to check things on the fly.

it was "ALT" where pushing another Solo button resets previously solo'd channels. pretty nifty! 8)

Silas

Postby Silas » Fri Dec 07, 2007 21:51

Hey C!

Wasn't it you who told me that you could ctrl-click the solos to remove all solo'd strips in one swoop?

-S

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Fri Dec 07, 2007 21:58

Silas wrote:Wasn't it you who told me that you could ctrl-click the solos to remove all solo'd strips in one swoop? -S

nope - 'twas probably Graemme.
that's pretty cool - actually solves both problems, since it works no matter what solo you CTRL-click on :D thanks!

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:10

Charlie,

Thanks for reminding me of the other scenario: not just groups of channels, but individual channels, too.

As you said, CTRL-Click on any solo and it acts as a 'Solo-Exclusive' for that channel alone. If you combine this with my suggestion of using two 'Group' strips, then a single CTRL-Click (on either of the Group strips) will toggle between two sets of appropriately assigned inputs.

Best Regards,

Graemme

P.S. Charlie, shouldn't those red lights in your avatar be on all of the time? - they are on my masters, you know...
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

charlienyc

i see red

Postby charlienyc » Mon Dec 10, 2007 18:25

Graemme wrote:P.S. Charlie, shouldn't those red lights in your avatar be on all of the time? - they are on my masters, you know...

what, you want overs? i'll give you overs! :twisted: none of this isolated momentary peak stuff either. i'll give you some sustained, way-into-the-red, severely-clipped and already-distorted-before-the-A/D-conversion, +30dBu-after-D/A-conversion overs! it'll be just perfect for the kind of music we work on, won't it? :twisted: :twisted: muah-ha-ha :twisted: :twisted:

charlienyc

Re: Toggling Solo buttons option for Mixer - Force New Selection

Postby charlienyc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 20:45

to follow up on this and take it a bit further...
at some point, will basic mixer commands be available via macros or keyboard shortcuts? please excuse me if this already happened in 6.1.

when in the heat of editing a concerto, for instance, i find myself soloing the soloist's tracks, making changes in the fade editor and edit window, then re-checking the section without the solo. even working with two screens, i don't have enough room to do this without toggling the mixer to make each change. it's cumbersome, and it comes up often. to be able to solo specific tracks and clear solos with a keyboard shortcut would be a big time saver. moreover, it would help stay 'in the moment.'

cheers,
-charlie
MassCore v14.0.5 Win10/64 i9-10900 & i9-11900K, Avid S3
3x Horus = 80 In/24 Out @PCM
Native V14 Win10/64 i7-12700K miniDSP UDIO-8, Avid S1 & nob controller
Native V14 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi

J.Wajer

Re: Toggling Solo buttons option for Mixer - Force New Selection

Postby J.Wajer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 00:22

I have a kind off solution for you:

• Go to the keyboard shortcut editor.
  • Go to the Tracks Tab you will notice the Select/Solo/Mute/Record Track 1 - 128 fields.
  • Bind multiple Solos to the same keyboardkey by pressing "No" each time PMX asks you to replace the key.

This works. Not sure if it is any help, but if you work with a fixed template.....it might :)
...Gracefully Ignored...