offering a kingdom for a WORKING reverb

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
rathammer

offering a kingdom for a WORKING reverb

Postby rathammer » Sun Nov 17, 2002 15:28

Well, maybe a small kingdom. Or a kingdom of bettersounding Quinton-Recordings that I can send to everyone who is capable of building/programming a REASONABLY adjustable and "normal layout" reverberation plugin for pyramix (that can be used in realtime as opposed to the direct X stuff).

The existing VB-Verb is totally un-usable. I never so far (in 3 years of pyramix-experience) managed to set up a verb-setting where the audible result in any way matches up with the numbers you type in. I have to set decay to - don't know - 0.3 to get a 2 second reverb. It is a mess.

What we need is an easy to set up, reasonably sounding verb. Please.

I would be willing to pre-finance a thing like this. Maybe If 20 people are willing to pay 50% of a final price in advance, there might be a budget for someone to sit down and develop a plug in.

Feedback welcome!

All the best,
Andreas Rathammer
CEO
Quinton Records Austria

Roland Clarke

Real reverb.

Postby Roland Clarke » Sun Nov 17, 2002 15:39

I would like to add a convolving reverb would be particulary useful to Pyramix users, particulary those involved in post and classical work.

Regards

Roland

Silas

Postby Silas » Mon Nov 18, 2002 00:57

Hello,

Yes indeed!! This is an area that I think all DAWs suffer in to varying degrees. As my work is primarily classical I would love to see some sort of "sampled space" plug-in ala Altiverb or Sony 777 that could take advantage of the Mykerinos. What a coup Merging could pull off if this could be accomplished well. I understand that Altiverb is dedicated to the Mac G4 Altivec engine so the PC world goes without...I have even considered buying a Mac with inexpensive Motu hard / software and Altiverb as a dedicated reverb unit (as Dr. Fred has done - still much cheaper than 777) but a good plug-in would be so much more flexible. Merging has a great history of development partnerships with other companies - how about teaming up with the Altiverb folks to bring it to the PC, or TC Electronics?

Regards,
Silas

gabriel

Postby gabriel » Wed Nov 20, 2002 01:12

I 100% agree to Andreas' post regarding the VB reverb, sorry Vincent! My experience/opinion on reverbs for DAW is: no matter how fast your DSP/CPU is, during the very demanding phase of mixdown, all available processing power will always be used (wasted?) to drive more and more additional effects stuff! There is probably never enough power left to run two or three very high quality multichannel reverbs next to your 192kHz/24bit 64-channel multitrack x.1 surround mixes. That's why I'm still rely on a DAW with good I/O interfaces (like Pyramix) to insert the nice boxes of the really specialized creators of high quality reverbs. I know, it's somehow strange to use external DSPs, but it seems, that's still the reality today. :(

Cheers
Gabriel

Vincent Burel

Postby Vincent Burel » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:57

gabriel wrote:I 100% agree to Andreas' post regarding the VB reverb, sorry Vincent! My experience/opinion on reverbs for DAW is: no matter how fast your DSP/CPU is, during the very demanding phase of mixdown, all available processing power will always be used (wasted?) to drive more and more additional effects stuff! There is probably never enough power left to run two or three very high quality multichannel reverbs next to your 192kHz/24bit 64-channel multitrack x.1 surround mixes. That's why I'm still rely on a DAW with good I/O interfaces (like Pyramix) to insert the nice boxes of the really specialized creators of high quality reverbs. I know, it's somehow strange to use external DSPs, but it seems, that's still the reality today. :(

Cheers
Gabriel

You have not to be sorry, i understand very well these argument. When i built Aphro-Vx concept, 5 or 6 years ago, it was not to replace Lexicon or compete against TC, it was to bring my vision of what is a pure reverberation.

The aphro-V1 use is simple , it's like an instrument, you have to select a sound (a preset) adjust the Mix, the predelay, and the color if needed by the CPi dialog box. And that's it !!! The ACi control panel is the creative user interface to let you create other reverb type, but this means that you have to know what i mean by reverb control. A decay knob is not a time duration control for example.

Aphro-V1.5 is coming soon i think now, there you will find more usual knob like ROOM SIZE, REVERB TIME and GLOBAL DAMPING. But the fact is anyway my policy about reverb effect has nothing to do with Lexicon policy and never you will be able to use Aphro as you can use a Lexicon.

that's why my brand is called VB-AUDIO and not Lexicon. In anycase i'm always wrong ! :-) when i do exactly the same i get reproach and when i think different i get repproach too, so you can understand that finally all these issues are subjectives and depends on people habits...

However, since one year now, i'm working on a concept of multi effect plug-in, maybe this tool will fit much more the user customs, even to use it as a reverb effect... will see.

Regards
Vincent Burel
www.vb-audio.com

Fred FINAND

Postby Fred FINAND » Sat Nov 30, 2002 00:38

Hello Vincent,

Last Year I was asking for you when you will developp the 1.5 on VS3 and you answered me it wasn't a priority. I'm happy to see it seems to have changed.

I like your aphro reverb because of its transparency. I never obtain so with my lexicons.
I often record Chamber music in studio condition and when other musicians listen for the final record, they mostly believes it was in Natural Reverb. This is exactly what I ask to a Reverb.

Andréas, you must forgot all your habits if you want to obain good algorithm with VB. Think in colour of reverb instead of physical parameter like RT, Diffusion, spread...

Vincent, je suis aussi possesseur de ton analyseur de spectre qui me sers surtout pour des cours sur le son. Mais je lui trouve un défaut cruel : quand je travaille en 96 kHz, l'analyse reste limitée à 20kHz :cry:
Pourrais tu faire un petit update pour çà ?

Fred FINAND

Vincent Burel

Postby Vincent Burel » Tue Dec 03, 2002 20:09

Fred FINAND wrote:Hello Vincent,
I like your aphro reverb because of its transparency. I never obtain so with my lexicons.
I often record Chamber music in studio condition and when other musicians listen for the final record, they mostly believes it was in Natural Reverb. This is exactly what I ask to a Reverb.

and this is exactly the purpose of Aphro ! :-) (and i'm sorry if Aphro cannot match as well other kind of use)

Fred FINAND wrote:Vincent, je suis aussi possesseur de ton analyseur de spectre qui me sers surtout pour des cours sur le son. Mais je lui trouve un défaut cruel : quand je travaille en 96 kHz, l'analyse reste limitée à 20kHz :cry:
Pourrais tu faire un petit update pour çà ?

Oui y'aura une mise à jour de l'analyzer un de ces jours car j'ai beaucoup de choses à ajouter dans ce plug-in. Cependant l'analyzer peut monter à 40KHz (essai par le graph ou par le rotatif MAX FREQ).

Vincent Burel

benoit

Postby benoit » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:57

Vincent updated his pyramix-version of aphro: it turned out very nice! ;-)

Benoit

gabriel

Postby gabriel » Tue Jun 03, 2003 00:38

Recently added a TC Reverb 4000 to extend Pyramix: sounds great, fits perfectly into DAW environment (ADAT I/O), can be operated thru USB by TC Icon remote control SW and best of all, it doesn't load Mykerinos DSP additionally!