Background recorder

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
PeteSfz

Background recorder

Postby PeteSfz » Wed May 20, 2015 04:18

Does anyone else think it would be usefull to be able to record in MP3 format in background recoders?
Pete Sfz
Arts Centre Melbourne

Mass Core Mastering Pack
24 AD8DA
Horus 128 MADI I/O

Native Pro
DIGIGridMGB128 MADI I/O

fl

Re: Background recorder

Postby fl » Wed May 20, 2015 15:30

If a take meets with some kind of disaster, I wouldn't be too happy if the only surviving recording was in mp3 format. Yes, compressed formats can be handy when providing "listening" copies of session material after the session, but I would still want a backup to be in full resolution, multi-track.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

AndrewB

Postby AndrewB » Fri May 22, 2015 23:30

Wouldn't recording in a compressed format use up more processing power, or alternatively be slightly less stable running in the background ? Not sure, just curious.

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sat May 23, 2015 03:11

Very likely, with respect to using system resources in a CPU-based DAW...I wouldn't want the system resources used for such a task. Drive space is cheap ;->

AndrewB wrote:Wouldn't recording in a compressed format use up more processing power, or alternatively be slightly less stable running in the background ? Not sure, just curious.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:51

fl wrote:If a take meets with some kind of disaster, I wouldn't be too happy if the only surviving recording was in mp3 format. Yes, compressed formats can be handy when providing "listening" copies of session material after the session, but I would still want a backup to be in full resolution, multi-track.

Just read this. A background recording does not really serve as a backup, does it? The redundancy it creates would only be against hard disk failure of the primary recording hard disk, nothing else. A backup would be on a completely separate system.
Cheers
B*

Swineshead

Postby Swineshead » Sun Mar 05, 2017 20:29

I would like to see an option to create a true mirror recording: same length, and be able to be dropped into a project (in case the PMF file was corrupted). SADiE had this as an option - and there was no need to create an additional mixer or enable tracks (a mirror copy of the audio was written to another hard drive).

Also, I would like to see an additional option to record another PMF file with the background recorder, not just MTFF/WAV.

Best,
David Bowles

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Mon Mar 06, 2017 19:19

Swineshead wrote:I would like to see an option to create a true mirror recording: same length, and be able to be dropped into a project (in case the PMF file was corrupted). SADiE had this as an option - and there was no need to create an additional mixer or enable tracks (a mirror copy of the audio was written to another hard drive).

+1
...especially if the second file had the same unique identifier in the filename.
MassCore v14.0.5 Win10/64 i9-10900 & i9-11900K, Avid S3
3x Horus = 80 In/24 Out @PCM
Native V14 Win10/64 i7-12700K miniDSP UDIO-8, Avid S1 & nob controller
Native V14 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi

fl

Postby fl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 20:14

While we're on the subject, it would be really nice if the process of making the Backup Recorder's Mixer visible and then configuring it to match the main Project's track line-up, could be streamlined.

Right now, once I've created a new Project for a recording session - either from a Template or from Scratch - I have to go to my Project's Mixer, right-click > Memory > Save to an appropriately named .vs3 file. Then I have to open the Transport Window, where I click on the icon to call the Background Recorder's Mixer (there seems to be no other way to make this visible). Once that's open, I then right-click on it > Memory > Load the previously saved .vs3 settings. This will cause the BU's mixer to be displayed right on top of the main Project Mixer, which can be disorienting for a few seconds. I'll then remove all the plug-ins.

It would be so nice if there could be a simple "Mirror Current Mixer State to (select which) Background Recorder" somewhere - in the Mixer's pop-up, or in the View Menu, or maybe even in the Machines menu...
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

avi

Postby avi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 00:40

I get the idea of running a background recorder in mp3 though.
Let's say you're running an 8- or 12- track session at 96k; no plugins. That's a very small processor load for a good modern machine. Running a background recorder or second (internal) machine as stereo mp3 should be more than possible in computing terms with no ill-effects - and could immediately give you a set of 'reference' (to a particular value of 'reference'...) takes for the typical client in the format they want them in, which is almost never going to be PMF. Not hugely useful in my usual workflow, but I can certainly see the use.
Alexander Van Ingen
Six Music Productions
www.sixmp.co.uk