Take Manager

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
AndrewB

Take Manager

Postby AndrewB » Tue Jan 13, 2015 04:26

It’s with great hope that Pyramix incorporates an extended editing feature that functions as a Take Manager.

This loosely constitutes a quasi 4-point source/destination editing function, simply and very quickly manipulated from a Manager-type docking checklist.

This feature would allow the user to merely check a box from a list and flip through the (multi-track) takes while playing back in real time. In addition, this would allow portions of split clips (highlighted portion) to cycle through takes, while leaving the remainder of the take intact.

I should also point out that Takes do not have to be time coincident in the Time Line. That is to say, any recorded (multi-track) Take, or highlighted portion of a Take, regardless of time position, can be flipped to an earlier/later Take on the spot. Recording Loop/punch modes would not necessarily be required to be engaged. The option to automatically overlay takes on top of each other (as with playlists) would be equally amenable as having them spaced out sequentially in time. Both options become indispensable as a resource for refining and accelerating the processes of editing and comparative auditioning.

AndrewB

Re: Take Manager

Postby AndrewB » Tue Feb 10, 2015 03:56

Better to show and not tell:

Start at 3min12sec, and refer especially to 4:18 and 6:40 in the tutorial for the Take Manager demonstration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG7tbfN0OXE

Hate to point out other software, however after incorporating the Take Manager (Sequoia/Samplitude) into our workflow, we simply can't live without it ! Useful in any genre, and surprisingly we use it more without a strict metronome reference, and with loop and punch recording modes turned off.

Grzyby15

Postby Grzyby15 » Thu May 07, 2015 09:54

Interesting video. Thanks:)

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Fri May 08, 2015 09:40

Hi,

You can combine (or not) the "playlist" (you can learn about playlist in the manual) function, with the "source/destination".

with track-groups, you can manage your recordings as you whant. In this forum, there is an old tip, to make loop recordings in Pyramix :

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1300&p=5024&hilit=recording+loop#p5024

If this can help you :)

Best regards,

Bernard
pyramix 10 Native; windows 10 64 Bits; Asrock Z 270 PRO 4; intel core i7 7700 4.20 GHz; 16G DDR4;
1 SSD M2 Nvme for system; 1 SSD M2 Nvme for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 1T. for backups.

AndrewB

Postby AndrewB » Fri May 29, 2015 01:06

Thanks Bernard. This will prove to be useful in the future.

However, I should be clear that we rarely ever use Take Manager in Loop Mode. In fact, the majority of the time, we use this feature with no Click Track !

The viewer will have to use their imagination with the above video tutorial, (since it is obviously directed towards popular music producers). This of course is very misleading. We use this feature with genres from classical music to spoken word, and everything in between. While the classic source-destination (3 or 4-point editing) tool still gets its use, we find that Take Manager is employed, as much or more so, now even in Classical Editing, (and almost exclusively in other genres).

Editing is both faster and improved in quality, since re-auditioning each take is instantaneous - even in real time playback. - If you think you had excellent intonation pitch memory before, think again :o

While I must admit that my familiarity with Playlists is not what it should be, my discussion with Frank Lockwood led me to the understanding that it does not have the capacity needed for the workflow on which we have come to rely. That said, it does seem that the Playlists function has many attributes similar to what the above video demonstrates as Revolver Tracks. In fact, Pyramix Playlists seem to be more sophisticated. Nevertheless, that still leaves a gap to be filled.

For those interested in Frank's informative comments on Playlists, please see this thread: (link begins on page 2 - Basic Editing)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10152&start=15#p33237